Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3 questions

Hi All,

I've had my 2012 CT F-Sport for 10 ½ months now, it went through it's MOT with no advisories a couple of weeks ago, it's never had an advisory ever which I find astounding from my previous cars! I won't get tired of zero road tax or it's comparably excellent MPG either.

One thing that is bugging me is the hard ride, which I think is worse in the F-Sport than other versions. Is there any way to soften it wihout spending bundles on shocks/springs/geometry resetting?

Also, my car has auto rain sensing wipers, and also the rotating column switch for variable speed - the rotating column switch seems to make no difference at all, is it redundant? In my previous car (Volvo) you could adjust this when the auto wiper was on to reduce/increase frequency.

Also, sometimes when in EV Mode, it allows me to get up to 30mph before cutting off, and other times it's 20mph, anyone know the logic here? 

In my RC one could switch between rain sensing operation or simple variable speed wipers. Your hand book will detail how this works, if applicable to your model. The rotating part will adjust the sensitivity in rain sensing mode and frequency in variable speed mode. Adjusting the sensitivity may not change anything immediately depending on the rainfall rate.

Top speed in EV mode will depend on many different things. Battery charge level, Battery temperature, acceleration rate and load.

215-45x17                                      625,3mm                                       523,8577346 rev/km

225-50x16                                      631,4mm                                       518,7967081 rev/km

205-60x15                                      627.0mm                                       522,4373867 rev/km

In automatic mode the wipers will move when water is detected. You cannot change when water come to the sensor.

Our car never gets above 40km/h before engine start.

Our CT is a gen 3 Prius.

Stages of warming up aka why ev works to 20mph/30mph:

The Stages:
S0:

• it is from power on until the ICE starting for warming up (approx 12 seconds)
  • you can enable the EV-Drive Mode during this S0, if the conditions are allowed so (refer to your owner's manual)
  • the EV-Drive Mode can not be turn on when (1)the temperature of the hybrid system is high (ie; the hybrid Battery is above 46C), (2)the temperature of the hybrid system is low (ie; the hybrid Battery is below 0C), (3)the hybrid Battery charge level is low (three bars or less), (4)the windshield defogger is in use or (5)the engine coolant temperature is below 0C (maybe 20C on the US Prius)

S1a:

• when the start coolant temperature is below 40C, the warming up starts and continues for approx 50 seconds after S0.
  • you can not enable the EV-Drive Mode during this S1a.
  • the ignition timing is very late, after the top dead center. therefore the engine does not have enough power to drive Prius or charge Battery.
  • basically, Prius can not use the engine power when you drive. Prius is driven by Battery power and the Battery is discharged.
  • it is good idea to drive slowly or stand still warming up in this stage.

• when the start coolant temperature is between 41C and 60C, Prius is in this stage, but the engine does not start automatically.
  • when you press the accelerator (including driving), the engine starts and runs for approx 50 seconds or until the coolant temperature reaches 65C. the ignition timing is very late too.

S1b:

• this is an extended warming up stage.
  • you also can not enable the EV-Drive Mode during thisS1b on Gen3. (you can enable the EV-Drive Mode on Gen2)
  • the ignition timing is now normal, and the engine is able to provide power and charge Battery.
  • you are now ready to drive without any penalty of Battery discharging.
  • ( A ) if the the coolant temperature is still below 40C after S1a, the warming up continues until 40C.
  • ( B ) if the the coolant temperature is between 40C and 50C after S1a, the warming up continues until 50C.
  • ( C ) if the the coolant temperature is between 50C and 60C after S1a, the warming up continues until 65C.

S2:

• after the S1a or S1b, Prius goes to this stage.
  • Prius acts as normal until the coolant temperature becomes 70C (going to S3).
  • The EV mode speed is limited below 10 mph on the NA Prius.

S3:

• when coolant temperature becomes above 70C, Prius goes to this stage.
  • Prius acts as normal, but Prius requires an "idling check ceremony".
  • The EV mode speed is now allowed up to 25 mph on the NA Prius.
  • the "idling check ceremony" is done during an accelerator off gliding for several seconds on Gen3. (on Gen2, Prius needs a complete stop or very slow walking speed for the ceremony)
  • the engine continues to run during the several seconds ceremony.
  • after the ceremony, Prius goes to the S4.

S4:

• Prius now completed the warming up stages and in a full normal condition.
  • if the coolant temperature is above 60C on power up, Prius is already in this stage.

• Like 1

in terms of the wipers, the car didn't have a manual when I initially bought it, after grumbling to the dealer they posted me one, so not quite sure if it's quite the right one, but the page it has is not much use (see image) - the stalk looks like this (image), any tips?

20230131_163603.jpg

20230131_163612.jpg

22 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

@Nick0 I downloaded this manual from the Lexus website, seems to cover the two types of wiper operation. Look from page 241

https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/LEXUS/OM76067E.pdf

Thank you kind sir! 

As I thought, this is how I would expect it to work, either the sensitivity adjuster is ignoring me or I think it's not working. I wonder how much a new one of either might be. Any guesses?!

16 minutes ago, Nick0 said:

I wonder how much a new one of either might be. Any guesses?!

No idea but being Lexus it wont be cheap..

Best get someone to scan the car using TechStream and see if anything is logged, or perhaps a good auto-electrician to have a look before forking out on parts

49 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

No idea but being Lexus it wont be cheap..

Best get someone to scan the car using TechStream and see if anything is logged, or perhaps a good auto-electrician to have a look before forking out on parts

Thanks again Peter much appreciated. I'll look into techstream. It took me ten years of Volvo ownership to get my head into their diagnostic/programming interface/software ("VIDA") and I've still got the £75 cable connector that I think is a universal plug (OBDII?) 

In our car you can by pushing the lever up (or down again) chose between having it in constantly working like in old times and here turning of the wheel will make it faster or slower. Do not remember which position is automatic or off or constant speed 1 or 2 (where the wheel is functioning), but should be easy to find out on a rainy day, of which you have several where you live, here not so often, which is why I hardly or actually never use the lever. I keep it in automatic.

2 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

In our car you can by pushing the lever up (or down again) chose between having it in constantly working like in old times and here turning of the wheel will make it faster or slower. Do not remember which position is automatic or off or constant speed 1 or 2 (where the wheel is functioning), but should be easy to find out on a rainy day, of which you have several where you live, here not so often, which is why I hardly or actually never use the lever. I keep it in automatic.

thanks John, problem is it doesn't work like that, hence the question/s 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 3:03 PM, Nick0 said:

Thank you kind sir! 

As I thought, this is how I would expect it to work, either the sensitivity adjuster is ignoring me or I think it's not working. I wonder how much a new one of either might be. Any guesses?!

I have exactly the same issue in mine. Turning the sensitivity dial seems to make little to no difference at all. Thought it might just be how Lexus cars are, but if you do find a solution I'd be keen to hear!

will do, I,m due service in a couple of weeks. I expect diagnostics will say either

a) it's working ok it's just weird/Lexus

b) it's programmable (anyone confirm if this might be so?) pay £££

c) it is not working, pick a reasonable £££ number, and quintuple it, twice, to replace!

let me know if you find anything out also Stuart 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Update-ish... I thought I'd try to eliminate one theory as it's a cheap and easy fix. I bought a used wiper stalk from eBay for £20 and swapped it over in my car. I thought this might be the solution as the 'new' one has much more defined clicks when you turn the intermittent dial, but alas it hasn't solved the problem. The speed does change slightly (as before), but not really with any logic (eg one setting isn't really any slower/faster than the other). I only tested this out in the snow however, so perhaps I need heavier rain to test it properly - I'll report back if that actually makes a difference.

On a positive note, this almost certainly means the issue is with the relay and they're cheap to replace. The only problem is that the relay is difficult to access because it's high up behind the dash (I've replaced an indicator relay in this location before and it's a pain to get to). Although you can reach these relays, you can't 'see' them and there's no way of knowing which one you need to unplug. It was easier with the indicator relay as I could turn it on and feel it clicking (here's how to do that if you're interested: https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/126966-smarttap-flasher-relay-install-for-comfort-flash/ )

I've written a how-to on replacing the wiper stalk anyway (below) because there was nothing online about how to do this on a CT. All other Toyota/Lexus write-ups say you have to remove the steering wheel and airbag which you do not have to do on the CT.

How to remove / replace wiper stalk:

1) Turn steering wheel to the side to access two hidden screws. Remove these.

spacer.png PXL-20230308-120038763.jpg

2) Separate the top and bottom halves of the plastic cowling. This is the trickiest part as you need to use quite a lot of force. They're held together with clips:

PXL-20230308-122758792.jpg PXL-20230308-122333334.jpg 

3) Remove the two white plugs underneath the stalk unit.

PXL-20230308-122428033.jpg

4) Using a small flat head screwdriver, push this clip down to enable you to slide the stalk unit away from the steering column.

PXL-20230308-122343802.jpg

5) Now you can install your new stalk and put everything back together in reverse order.

PXL-20230308-122550885.jpg

Please note: Replacing the indicator stalk would not be as straightforward - for this you would need to remove the steering wheel as it doesn't unplug in the same way as the wiper stalk.

• Thanks 1

Outstanding, nice one thank you Stuart 👍👍👍

Mine is due it's annual visit to lexus I'll see if they report anything with mine. Driving in the sleet/rain/snow tonight it does as you say seem to make a small difference, but I'm not quite sure! It always somehow manages to settle into the right rhythm! 

Will have a propaganda at your relay thread, sounds tricky. Thank you again! 

Hi

I had a similar problem on my 2008 RX400h.

I discovered that the sensor on the screen had a gelatinous membrane between it and the screen which had deteriorated. I diagnosed it by pressing against the sensor when there was light rain and the intermittent wipers worked ok.

I bought an aftermarket membrane and carefully installed it and had no problem after that.

I have a CT F Sport but I must admit I havent looked to see if the sensor is similar to the RX.

I hope this helps.

Ray

Nice one Ray thank you, I'm not sure if that applies in this case does it? The issue Stuart and I have is that the rotatable ring/collar on the wiper stalk to (we presume) increase/decrease the frequency of the wipers when in auto mode doesn't seem to be working, that is to say the collar control seems to make little or no difference to the speed of the wipers when in auto mode, so either the control or another part (Stuart mentioned the hard to reach relay) seems faulty, I think that the part you mention is probably the one that governs sensing the rain isn't it? 

Please let me know if I'm wrong - does your car have auto wipers and the collar control?

Does twisting it make a noticeable difference to the wiper speed? 

Be good to hear from others to see if it's normal lexus operation or not. 

All the best, Nick 

32 minutes ago, Nick0 said:

Nice one Ray thank you, I'm not sure if that applies in this case does it? The issue Stuart and I have is that the rotatable ring/collar on the wiper stalk to (we presume) increase/decrease the frequency of the wipers when in auto mode doesn't seem to be working, that is to say the collar control seems to make little or no difference to the speed of the wipers when in auto mode, so either the control or another part (Stuart mentioned the hard to reach relay) seems faulty, I think that the part you mention is probably the one that governs sensing the rain isn't it? 

Please let me know if I'm wrong - does your car have auto wipers and the collar control?

Does twisting it make a noticeable difference to the wiper speed? 

Be good to hear from others to see if it's normal lexus operation or not. 

All the best, Nick 

HI Nick, mine does make a difference when used, but it does take a little time to alter, could be 30 seconds.

So you do not see a change quickly. I tend to leave it and let the system on auto work it out.

Nice one thanks Maurice I think that's what mine does, I'm just used to an instant response from 20+ years of Swedish cars with the same feature.

So do we think this is normal in Lexus, that it sort of thinks about it, and the response is not instant? 

Be good to hear as many opinions on how theirs work/respond to this control. 

16 minutes ago, Nick0 said:

Nice one thanks Maurice I think that's what mine does, I'm just used to an instant response from 20+ years of Swedish cars with the same feature.

So do we think this is normal in Lexus, that it sort of thinks about it, and the response is not instant? 

Be good to hear as many opinions on how theirs work/respond to this control. 

I think that is the case.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links