Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What do you mean by worth it? Everything is worth something, but that depends on price, £9,000 is starting bid - so it is not very clear for how much the car will sell for. If it would be £6,000 I would pay it right now without asking any questions, but for £12,000 - no thank you... 

Now considering it was CAT-S and looks kind of beaten-up, it is hard to see it ending-up costing much more than that... for £9,000 it would be ~£6k cheaper than next cheapest one, so perhaps "worth it". But if it goes past £11,000 (which is possible with current market), then I would stay away from it... 

As well IS220d badge is just bizarre... that may be some sort of reverse dig at me joking that you can replace half of IS-F parts with IS220d 😄 

• Like 3

I spoke with him and basically it’s not a badge only from is220d but all parts that he replaced there which put me off. 
He wants to get £9000 for it.

I asked about the exhaust and it’s “aftermarket” but looks awful to me like straight cheap pipes and that’s all.

I mentioned about detailed inspection by someone independent and who pays for it if major failure is found and guess what. 
No answer to that. 

I smell something hidden there and it might be rear axle issue or something else. Buyers are going to spend £££ to make this machine look and drive as it should in my opinion. Considering all above I would go for a better example with no “S” for £12-£15k easy. 

This car reminds me of my friends old C5 Audi RS6 in blue (probably still listed for about £30k). He is a mechanic and bought this car for £5000. £22000 and 2 years later + hundreds of his own work not even counted he wants to get rid off it. I think some of you saw this advert from Swansea. 
The funny part is that car was “drivable” when purchased but to make it a cheery it is what it is. 

• Like 1

If anyone's looking, just putting mine up for sale this weekend. Not advertised yet.

2011 (11), 111K, new MOT, new tyres (P-Zero), FLSH, new (Lexus std) exhaust 2012 pre-mot. Owned for over 5years.

Andy

10 hours ago, DamianLEX said:

I spoke with him and basically it’s not a badge only from is220d but all parts that he replaced there which put me off. 

I asked about the exhaust and it’s “aftermarket” but looks awful to me like straight cheap pipes and that’s all.

I mentioned about detailed inspection by someone independent and who pays for it if major failure is found and guess what. 
No answer to that. 

I smell something hidden there and it might be rear axle issue or something else. Buyers are going to spend £££ to make this machine look and drive as it should in my opinion. Considering all above I would go for a better example with no “S” for £12-£15k easy. 

This car reminds me of my friends old C5 Audi RS6 in blue (probably still listed for about £30k). He is a mechanic and bought this car for £5000. £22000 and 2 years later + hundreds of his own work not even counted he wants to get rid off it. I think some of you saw this advert from Swansea. 
The funny part is that car was “drivable” when purchased but to make it a cheery it is what it is. 

Not to mention the fact it looks rough in the pictures alone. Too much going on to even consider it really.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DamianLEX said:

No answer to that. 

As mentioned above I would take it for £6000 right away (even if car is trash, just in parts it is worth that much), but at the same time I agree and said myself that car looks rough... and as Rich said - if it looks rough in pictures then what it is in real life?! Doesn't even look like owner took particular care to show the car in best light and if owner does not care even when selling, then I would not expect it to be in amazing condition.

Not sure why IS220d parts would put anyone off... it just makes sense that crashed IS-F would get most of panels/parts from IS220d, so it does not surprise me and from the parts that fit IS-F are identical e.g. boot lid. So I think it is much better to find matching colour IS220d, then to repaint "IS-F" part. Keeping IS220d badge is kind of weird thought... 

Now obviously there are parts like front wings, bonnet, front bumper which are IS-F specific so there is no way of using something from IS220d, nor I believe that is what was done.

It could easily be some issues with gearbox or rear differential... and as all know they would be expensive to fix on IS-F. I don't think engine is high risk, but who knows. And yes the exhaust would have to go.. just looks awful... 

• Like 2

For me it doesn't really make sense to put such a high starting price for bidding. The purpose of bidding is to attract buyers starting from a low price. It would have been more logical just to put a "buy it now" price then.

• Like 3

Will be interesting to see what this goes for. Crucially a independent inspection to check the crash structures and maybe one from a owners perspective to check the engine and gearbox - big emphasis on the gearbox from hot and cold. Body panels, badges and paint etc can be easily repaired and refreshed. 

Trouble is most if not all ISF at that age will need the radiator, potentially new headers (or old ones welded up), shocks, suspension bushes etc - point is that most ISF up for sale when i had bought mine didn't have any of that apart from the usually schedule service history. Those parts are costly and the labour even more costly! - I know I've had alot of work done and I can tell you it transforms the car. Ive had a number of ISF owners reach out to me when I had the headers welded up as its a pig of a job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, serbarry said:

For me it doesn't really make sense to put such a high starting price for bidding. The purpose of bidding is to attract buyers starting from a low price. It would have been more logical just to put a "buy it now" price then.

Yeah... I think he is a little bit cheeky or overoptimistic. The realistic price for the car is already £9,000 in the best of the days (just mileage and cat-S considered), if car needs more work (which it seems) then price should potentially be even lower. I guess he hoped some sucker not knowing or not reading what they buying going to come and bid maybe £9,500... but it is pretty much "but it now" price, not the starting bid really. 

That said I think this is counterproductive - if anyone going to make too high bid on eBay they simply won't pay and seller will need to relist... so waste of time really. In other hand I understand him in a way - if he made 99p/no reserve auction the car may sell for £3000... because realistically market is very small for these beasts and if not for OP posting it here I don't think many would know about auction.

Finally thing which is clear - he is expecting cash in hand, because eBay fees would be astronomical for £9000 sale (something like 12% of the final sale price). Although that is not unusual - most of cars sold on eBay are this way, after winning you transfer say £500 deposit and then pay rest in person in cash or bank transfer.

That just screams red alert to me lol.

Has the guy said it was insurance repaired or are we just assuming that? Because it looks like it's taken a rear end hit, somebody's sourced a used IS boot from a scrapyard and thought "same colour, it'l do", maybe had the bumper welded/resprayed but lost the parking sensors (seriously look at the pic they're not there), and then bodged on some bad boy tailpipes because it was cheaper than the backbox and floating tips.

I say "looks like" of course, there may be an explanation for it all, but those pics do not instil me with confidence.  Neither does the fact it's main dealer records stop 25k ago.

But hey maybe he'll update it with an explanation (and some interior pics).

Hi Guys - just curious, aside from the faux pas of being dumb and not removing the IS22d badge from the boot, what else appears wrong with the car in the pics?  I agree it sounds like bit of a Frankenstein from the description but the badge mis-step and exhaust back pipes aside it looks clean to me and not 'rough' in the pics shown.  Am I missing something obvious as a few posters have suggested it looks rough based in the pics, but I am not seeing anything obvious, so pls help as it appears my eye is not too well trained for these things :)

23 minutes ago, Grey One said:

Hi Guys - just curious, aside from the faux pas of being dumb and not removing the IS22d badge from the boot, what else appears wrong with the car in the pics? I agree it sounds like bit of a Frankenstein from the description but the badge mis-step and exhaust back pipes aside it looks clean to me and not 'rough' in the pics shown. Am I missing something obvious as a few posters have suggested it looks rough based in the pics, but I am not seeing anything obvious, so pls help as it appears my eye is not too well trained for these things :)

I spoke to the guy who said the car went straight to the workshop..but the pics sent had F badge on back immediately after accident then pic of it loaded on recovery truck had 220d on it .......7 owners and cat s is too much IMO.

1 hour ago, Grey One said:

Hi Guys - just curious, aside from the faux pas of being dumb and not removing the IS22d badge from the boot, what else appears wrong with the car in the pics?  I agree it sounds like bit of a Frankenstein from the description but the badge mis-step and exhaust back pipes aside it looks clean to me and not 'rough' in the pics shown.  Am I missing something obvious as a few posters have suggested it looks rough based in the pics, but I am not seeing anything obvious, so pls help as it appears my eye is not too well trained for these things 🙂

Just tiny things... starting with car being unwashed and resting it's bumper on the kerb. The car seems to have IS220d boot lid (which is fine as far as I am concerned), it as well has IS220d taillights which is kind of sad as the IS-F taillights are distinctive and best looking ones from mk2 in my opinion. Apart of that I don't know what else was fitted from IS220d, but nothing really concerns me. I don't understand the issue with it because IS220d and IS-F shares many body panels, it is not like IS220d had inferior quality boot lid or something, it is still Lexus part.

The cosmetic issues are mostly at the back, ugly exhaust (we can call it subjective), the rear bumper is different shade, the gaps are not right, the parking sensors are missing or have fallen inside the bumper... apart of that the rest of the body looks straight cannot really fault it. As well car looks lower than standard for me, it could be lowered which I guess is not really surprising, but rear seems to have excess camber, is it from lowering, is that optical illusion from camera or maybe it is rear suspension issues... who knows. 

One thing for sure - if I would be selling this car, it would be washed, it would be polished, the pictures would be taken in nice location, in good light and the car would look much better. Currently how it looks is that owner overall does not care and it gives "bad vibes". Is that the reason not to buy the car... yes, yes it is a reason... sometimes something just doesn't feel right and I walk away from the car. This would be the car I would walk away for £9000...

22 hours ago, ubersonic said:

used IS boot from a scrapyard and thought "same colour, it'l do"

Agree with all the rest you said, but I just can't see issue with bootlid. Getting same colour bootlid is the best way to fix such damage, who cares if it is from IS220d it is identical... as long as you don't keep the badge!

As well you right regarding rear bumper, I have seen missing parking sensors and that it is slightly different shade, but there is something more... it just doesn't look right. And I suspect it is welded and made out of filler, the lines and reflections are just not right on it... or maybe it is just because the matched the paint poorly and it stands out. 

In grand scheme of things if the bumper and exhaust would be the only issues then it isn't that bad... but it makes me question the quality of the rest of the work.

Fair do's to the seller though, he is at least being open on what has been done...

Looks like a totally new colour and a total respray to the current lavender colour.  Also, strange that the 'IS220d' boot lid was on there when it had the accident!  That seems very odd to me - why if you have an ISF would be have a 'IS220d' badge on the boot, and keep it on there even after a respray!!! ??

21 minutes ago, Grey One said:

That seems very odd to me - why if you have an ISF would be have a 'IS220d' badge on the boot, and keep it on there even after a respray!!! ??

To fool unsuspecting following drivers ???🤔 

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Agree with all the rest you said, but I just can't see issue with bootlid

My point was basically that getting a "looks good enough" part form a scrapyard is not something an insurer would have done, so the repair may have been done on the cheap or even by the seller himself.  However having seen the damage pictures that have since been added he must have taken it to a bodyshop as that's simply not the type of stuff you can fix in your garage.

26 minutes ago, Grey One said:

Also, strange that the 'IS220d' boot lid was on there when it had the accident!  That seems very odd to me - why if you have an ISF would be have a 'IS220d' badge on the boot, and keep it on there even after a respray!!! ??

The first pic shows an ISF boot with a Nürburgring decal, I assume they fitted the replacement boot in the second pic before repairs were fully completed.  Presumably to keep the rain out if it were moved outside.

This also explains the lack of rear sensors in the earlier pic as they would have been obliterated by the impact.

The added pictures actually offset some of my earlier reservations, however if I was going to bid on it I would want to behind the rear bumper (or pictures) for sure to make sure the rear of the car and the slam panel aren't still twisted. 

1 hour ago, ubersonic said:

My point was basically that getting a "looks good enough" part form a scrapyard is not something an insurer would have done, so the repair may have been done on the cheap or even by the seller himself.  However having seen the damage pictures that have since been added he must have taken it to a bodyshop as that's simply not the type of stuff you can fix in your garage.

Agreed - I doubt it was insurance job.

The rear end was totally obliterated, I wonder if the as well used entire rear from IS220d, not just boot lid (which would make sense if they had donor car, and rear as far as I know is the same). 

Note as well there are a lot of rust in the second picture, so car was clearly sitting for a long time before getting fixed. And I mean Lexus metal is quite corrosion resistant - it would have taken like 6 months to rust. 

Just for fun put in offer for £6,000... don't really have space for the car, but thought for £6,000 I would figure it out. However, it seems seller has set "auto-decline" probably for anything below £8,000. 

Did a little bit more research and it seems that guide valuation just on year/mileage is £8,650... which in recent years doesn't mean much because car prices are a bit ridiculous and to be honest it never worked well for rare cars anyway... i.e. if you have something like IS-F then you have to get insurance with agreed value otherwise they will give you random valuation out of nowhere. Anyway that said guide is guide and if such car in perfect condition is £8,650, then -20% for Cat-N and another -20% for Cat-S... this would makes the car £5,190 in the best case assuming it is otherwise perfect condition. Which it clearly ISN'T...

As well just did quick check on "we buy any car" type of page, they always low balling, but it can be assumed that right prices is something like 20-30% higher. They reckon £3650-3970 just considering Cat-S and "cosmetic" damage to the rear +20-30% and we end-up in the same ballpark as guide price ~£5190 (£4380-5161).

So perhaps it is good that seller disabled offers as even at £6,000 it is a bit generous... although maybe would be fair considering market conditions and it being a rare car. One thing for sure - seller expectations for £9,000 are unlikely to be met. 

50 minutes ago, hondansxr said:

I put 7 k in and it got auto regect

yeah I tried £6,000, £6,100 and £7,100. As I had no intention to pay more than £6,000 I didn't try to find out where exactly the limit is set, but I assume it is either £8,000 or £8,500... would be funny if it was set to £9,000 LOL!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links