Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450 headlight issue

Poslingford

The headlights on my 2018 vehicle appear to be totally inadequate, lacking brightness and penetration. I am assured by the dealership that my last MOT in September 2022 showed the lights to be working perfectly. They have offered to do a comprehensive check. In the meantime do any other members have a similar issue or, am I a sole voice in the wilderness? A recent journey of 30 miles on very dark country roads was simply dangerous. Observations gratefully received.

Mine are excellent (2021 model). 

If anything they’re a bit too bright, as I sometimes get flashed by oncoming traffic who think they’re on full beam when they aren’t.

On full beam on a dark country road it’s almost like daylight…

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Poslingford said:

The headlights on my 2018 vehicle appear to be totally inadequate, lacking brightness and penetration. I am assured by the dealership that my last MOT in September 2022 showed the lights to be working perfectly. They have offered to do a comprehensive check. In the meantime do any other members have a similar issue or, am I a sole voice in the wilderness? A recent journey of 30 miles on very dark country roads was simply dangerous. Observations gratefully received.

Are your lights LED's?

Are the plastic l;enses  clear?

I have experienced two RX identical models, both with very different lighting ability - though they had the same specification of lights.

45 minutes ago, Poslingford said:

They're probably set too low which is common. 

Lights are LED. ADAPTIVE HIGH BEAM ASSIST. Lenses are clean. Lighting is inadequate either on AHB or manual. Thank you all for taking the trouble to respond. Perhaps they are set too low - is it possible for an old incompetent to remedy that?

Below ~40mph the adaptive system will keep the main beams off, does the light intensity increase significantly if you pull the light stalk so as to flash the headlamps?

The attached tech doc might be of interest

LIGHTING SYSTEM CONTROL ADAPTIVE HIGH-BEAM SYSTEM (AHS).pdf

4 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Have you been to an optician recently?

I realise that is a tongue in cheek question but yes I have and not only I experience this lack of light problem but my much more keen sighted wife and daughter have the same issues when driving the car.

It wasn't tongue in cheek.Previous replies had covered the obvious "technical" aspects,and cataracts can cause difficulties with night driving...as I know from personal experience.

Hence looking at it from a different perspective.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Poslingford said:

I realise that is a tongue in cheek question but yes I have and not only I experience this lack of light problem but my much more keen sighted wife and daughter have the same issues when driving the car.

Possibly a stupid question, but how long have you owned the car? I’m just wondering whether a previous owner has either changed bulbs to an incorrect type or if the car has had a front end shunt that may have caused a problem.

That said, you’d think the Lexus dealer who did the MOT would have checked, but “…worked perfectly…” and “…were sufficient to pass an MOT…” are two quite different things…

If they’re offering a “comprehensive check” free of charge then I’d take them up on it. If you purchased the car from them as ‘approved used’ I’d also ask to try another similar car out to compare.

Thank you for those valued observations. I bought the car November 2020. No apparent or declared damage. Very rarely drive at night so embarrassed to say not noticed a lighting issue before. Had the light alignment checked at a local garage this morning- no fault found. Intend a test again tonight before referring back to 30 miles distant Lexus dealer.

Many thanks to all members who answered my plea for help. On Friday Lexus Cambridge found the headlights were set too low and made a correction. This evening I road tested the lights and they are now very effective.

Again, most grateful.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links