Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Canbus car thefts

15 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

But they could offer to fit them retrospectively at a discounted price.

Good Point.  Just like they do with Dash Cams!   Against this is the fact that Lexus dealerships are notoriously conservative and fearful of adding something that splices into the CAN BUS network and potentially makes them liable for other issues that can or cannot be attributed to the CAN BUS immobiliser.   This is all despite the fact that Ghost and Scorpion etc have Toyota accreditation (or claim to have).     The issue of the Rear DASH CAM interfereing with DAB radios comes to mind where Dealerships refused point blank to install them till the Lexus gods approved it.

Each and every new Lexus and Toyota car in Poland is equipped with additional Vodafone immobilizer and MyConnectedCar app. We have 6 months security protection and tracking. If the car is being stolen there is an alarm triggered to the mobile security folks. It works for the whole Europe. Believe me or not Toyota and  Lexus brands are still number one stolen cars no matter how good is your alarm. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Klaudiusz said:

Each and every new Lexus and Toyota car in Poland is equipped with additional Vodafone immobilizer and MyConnectedCar app. We have 6 months security protection and tracking. If the car is being stolen there is an alarm triggered to the mobile security folks. It works for the whole Europe. Believe me or not Toyota and  Lexus brands are still number one stolen cars no matter how good is your alarm. 

That is specific to some markets. Nothing like that in France. 

21 hours ago, PDM said:

Very interesting article indeed.  I had not realised the device used by the thieves also hacks the CAN physical layer by overwriting the dominant bus low with a recessive bus high.  Interesting indeed.

Here's a question, please excuse my automotive computing ignorance. If one were to disable passive locking/unlocking on the car side, (I've seen it in one of the menus. Where now you have to press a button to unlock the car, and you also need to put your key right up against the start button to read off the immobilizer code), would that defeat this device that is sending a key validated signal? Assuming of course there are two types of key validated signals being utilized by our systems (passive vs active), and this hack is only sending the more common passive validation?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, peniole said:

Here's a question, please excuse my automotive computing ignorance. If one were to disable passive locking/unlocking on the car side, (I've seen it in one of the menus. Where now you have to press a button to unlock the car, and you also need to put your key right up against the start button to read off the immobilizer code), would that defeat this device that is sending a key validated signal? Assuming of course there are two types of key validated signals being utilized by our systems (passive vs active), and this hack is only sending the more common passive validation?

Nice idea but I suspect not.  Even if there are two different messages that are used for unlock - one for the normal keyless entry and one for button press entry, the thrives should send both these messages and one would still work. If this was a workaround i suspect Lexus would have already suggested it unfortunately.

Paul

• 1 month later...

I had a tracker fitted today. The installer said that as Range Rover had changed the location of the cabling (now requiring a hole to be cut into the tailgate) the thieves were now concentrating their efforts on Fords. He thought Toyota / Lexus now fitted the ‘plates’ and they were available for retrofitting although Toyota / Lexus weren’t making that well known. 

2 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

I had a tracker fitted today. The installer said that as Range Rover had changed the location of the cabling (now requiring a hole to be cut into the tailgate) the thieves were now concentrating their efforts on Fords. He thought Toyota / Lexus now fitted the ‘plates’ and they were available for retrofitting although Toyota / Lexus weren’t making that well known. 

I asked the dealer a week ago and they found out from Lexus that the plates are in production but as yet no time line for fitting them.

Paul

53 minutes ago, PDM said:

I asked the dealer a week ago and they found out from Lexus that the plates are in production but as yet no time line for fitting them.

Paul

Thanks. I’ll speak to my dealer

On 4/6/2023 at 1:56 PM, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Ghost Immobiliser seems the only logical and scientific road to Go Down....

The company that supplied my Blackview dashcam (Boros Technology) has just emailed me with details of the Ampire immobiliser - fully fitted for £379.

This is claimed to be a worthwhile alternative to even the Ghost ll.  Does anyone have experience of Ampire?

https://security4vehicles.co.uk/shop/immobilisers/

This from a post over the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/100044556472483/videos/194681890138963/

How much more do we have to pay to keep our very expensive car's safe. Lexus makes about £8000 per car for some of their top range so they have to look at this part of the market and help their loyal customer before they buy somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I get my NX450 in a few weeks, I am looking into paying circa £500 for the Ghost 11 immobiliser. I’m also reading the 450 manual and it says that the immobiliser that the car comes with, does a similar thing. 

“This vehicle is equipped with an immobilizer system and alarm system to help prevent vehicle theft. The immobilizer is a system which helps prevent intrusion into the vehicle and starting of the hybrid system using keys other than a key registered to this vehicle. Through a transponder chip built into the keys, registered keys can be recognized over unauthorized copies. The alarm uses light and sound to give an alert when an intruder is detected. “

Anyone know anything about the Lexus immobiliser. 

CANbus theft simply gets the thief into the car where they can then register a new key via the OBD socket. This is then recognised by the Lexus immobiliser as genuine and will release the car security.

The factory fitted Lexus security is relatively easily circumvented

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

CANbus theft simply gets the thief into the car where they can then register a new key via the OBD socket. This is then recognised by the Lexus immobiliser as genuine and will release the car security.

The factory fitted Lexus security is relatively easily circumvented

Thank you for your input. I will fit a ghost 11. 

Hi All,

I just installed Battery cut off relay.

when you lock your car you then press the provided remote to off.

your car Battery will be unplugged like total dead and in this case the relay theft or canbus theft will not work and it’s dead end.

It’s available on eBay - amazon - AliExpress 

Wireless Remote Control Disconnect Relay Integrated 12V Cut Off Isolator Master Switches 200A 120A Universal Battery Switch
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ms9yNTW

Not really a good idea.

Radio, seat memory, clock, windows and other stuff will need to be reset every time you get in the car.

Plus, your alarm and immobiliser will also be off so that may allow the insurance to reduce or even refuse a theft claim if they still steal it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, szhrmp said:

It is actually ghost 2 🙂

Confusingly, retailers will use both forms even on the same page!

https://cartheftsolutions.co.uk/autowatch-ghost-immobiliser-fitting/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvNeDz8Gs_wIV1drtCh3i6QE5EAAYAyAAEgIPefD_BwE

It’s rather like knowing that WW11 didn’t come after WW10…

4 hours ago, Mad_4u said:

Hi All,

I just installed battery cut off relay.

when you lock your car you then press the provided remote to off.

your car battery will be unplugged like total dead and in this case the relay theft or canbus theft will not work and it’s dead end.

It’s available on eBay - Amazon - AliExpress 

Wireless Remote Control Disconnect Relay Integrated 12V Cut Off Isolator Master Switches 200A 120A Universal Battery Switch
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ms9yNTW

Use that £15 solution on the fuel pump relay, a critical ECU or the starter motor solenoid and you’re good to (not) go. No point shutting the entire car down - the alarm won’t work with no power. Heck, even disabling something like the gear selector would be relatively easy - dismantle centre console, fit relay in line to gear selector ground, job done. That’d really confuse.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Herbie said:

Not really a good idea.

Radio, seat memory, clock, windows and other stuff will need to be reset every time you get in the car.

Plus, your alarm and immobiliser will also be off so that may allow the insurance to reduce or even refuse a theft claim if they still steal it.

Yes my alarm and immobiliser will be off so what help they provide for relay theft and can-bus attack ? Zero to none 

this is option to not allow the car to be unlocked using both methods.

if they want it then they will break in and that time they have to find the Battery and they should have the tools to re-plug it.

and after all this if you have Ghost2 or other immobiliser installed it’s win win for you to keep your car.

I test it my self and only I had to re setup the time, memory seat and steering wheel was not affected, infotainment system was not affected also and my phone Bluetooth connected as soon as I was in the car.

I must admit to having been very concerned about the CANBUS security breaches. I did contact U.K. customer relations and feel much relieved after their reply. Unable to post it for obvious reasons. Looking forward to my new NX 450+ in about a months time. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links