Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hydrogen fuel rollout.

DavidCM

29 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Well, so is a Toyota / Lexus car for sure  ( that's only 625k miles ) ..................  mine's already 28 years young at 245k miles and another 32 years of excellent comfy, reliable, simply comparative non-expensive motoring awaits me  .....  well I'll be 103 then so maybe not eh !   🤣

Might have to give up on the Ls700 and just stick to me Mk3 Ls400 then  .....  petrol E5 and whatever is the juice of my future 😇

Malc

It is good to be happy with what we have.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 4:59 PM, Bluemarlin said:

No

Finally an answer:).

So not fantasy, great, how where is my nearest BP hydrogen fuel station? Should be plenty of choice given the 1200+ around, cannot wait to go and see one finally.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Finally an answer:).

So not fantasy, great, how where is my nearest BP hydrogen fuel station? Should be plenty of choice given the 1200+ around, cannot wait to go and see one finally.

It's a secret, only for those with hydrogen powered cars. If you give me the make, model, registration and VIN of your hydrogen car, then I can let you know your nearest location 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Future of Aviation Industry

Why Hydrogen is the First Pick for the Industry

image.thumb.png.44f36e30c50e4469e2e86d91a9c1ac79.png 

By ANGELA LINDERS     https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/author/angelal2289/

Aviation Industry Aims for Net Zero Emissions by 2050

The aviation industry is under increasing pressure to reduce its growing carbon footprint and combat climate change. With billions of passengers traveling each year and millions of planes taking off annually, the industry is responsible for 2.5% of global CO2 emissions. In recognition of this, industry leaders have agreed to work towards achieving net zero emissions by 2050.

Why Hydrogen? The Reasons Might be Surprising

Most industry professionals agree on this: The future of air travel will be powered by hydrogen, a clean and abundant energy source that will revolutionize the aviation industry. Next-generation Battery technology remains unsuitable for use in airplanes as batteries are too heavy and do not meet the necessary performance requirements. On the other hand, hydrogen offers a compelling alternative.

Hydrogen has the highest energy per mass of any fuel and is about three to four times lighter than jet fuel on an equivalent energy basis, making it a promising alternative to traditional fossil fuels. Hydrogen also does not release any emissions and hydrogen is already used as fuel in space launches.

Major players in the aviation industry, such as Airbus, are exploring the technology and some successful flights have already taken place, albeit on small regional aircraft. A zero-emission plane that could compete with jet-fuelled aircraft is within reach and could represent a giant leap forward for sustainable air travel.

image.thumb.png.6fbee22d7e12d86c9337e716616d9049.png

A Huge Opportunity for Market Growth and Climate Change Solutions

With the aviation market predicted to grow rapidly, hydrogen-powered aviation offers a significant opportunity for market growth and climate change solutions. The current aviation market represents a $1.5 trillion industry that is in urgent need of transformation. The growth rates of the aviation industry are amongst the highest of all transportation types. Fortunately, all the necessary technology to use hydrogen as a solution is now available.

H2 Aviation History

Hydrogen has a rich history as an aviation fuel, with past experimentation dating back to several decades ago. In the late 1950s, hydrogen-powered aircraft were explored by the Department of Defense, and in 1988 the Soviets successfully flew an airliner, the Tupolev 155, powered by hydrogen.

A few smaller aircraft were also powered by fuel cells using hydrogen in the early 2000s, marking a significant step towards the usage of hydrogen as an aviation fuel. Despite the technical challenges that hydrogen-powered aircraft pose, the progress made over the years highlights the potential for hydrogen as a sustainable aviation fuel.

Green Hydrogen: Cheaper than Jet Fuel with Renewable Energy and Tax Credits

Thanks to renewable energy and tax credit incentives, green hydrogen has the potential to be cheaper than conventional jet fuels over time. While fossil fuels are dependent on increasingly expensive extraction methods, green hydrogen is produced from renewable electricity – essentially creating a zero marginal cost.

The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in the summer of 2022, provides renewable energy and clean hydrogen plants with tax credits of up to 2.6 cents per kilowatt hour and $3 per kilogram of hydrogen through 2032. Taking these incentives and escalating oil prices into consideration, green hydrogen is already superior to jet fuel in terms of cost. Even without subsidies and oil price shocks, renewable electricity prices are expected to continue to fall, resulting in cost parity between green hydrogen and jet fuel.

Keeping Up: Major Milestones in Hydrogen Aviation

• Airbus is developing hybrid-hydrogen aircraft through modified gas turbine engines, with all three concepts of the ZEROe program utilizing this technology to power their aircraft using liquid hydrogen combustion. The goal of reducing emissions by more than 20%.
  • ZeroAvia is a UK-based hydrogen electric aircraft startup which has partnered with United, American, British Airways, Alaska Airlines, and Shell to develop hydrogen-electric propulsion technology. Just recently announcing  their project with Alaska Airlines to develop the world’s largest zero emissions aircraft.
  • Universal Hydrogen, founded in 2020 and based in California, is another upstart developing hydrogen planes. It has raised $100 million and is aiming to bring a 10 to 20 seat aircrafts to market by 2025 with plans for 70 seat aircrafts after that. Also they tested the largest airplane ever to run on hydrogen fuel cells and plan on releasing their conversion kit in late 2025.

Technical challenges associated with hydrogen technology in aviation.

Despite the great potential that hydrogen-powered airplanes offer as a green aviation solution, their development is not without challenges. Among these challenges is the storage of hydrogen, which requires large volumes if stored as a gas, or extremely low temperatures (-425°F) if stored as a liquid. Additionally, fuel cells utilized for hydrogen-powered airplanes must stay humidified during aircraft tilts and rolls, presenting further technical obstacles. Nevertheless, several companies are currently experimenting with hydrogen technology, indicating that the industry is continuously working to overcome these challenges.

In conclusion, the potential benefits of green hydrogen as a sustainable aviation fuel are enormous and could revolutionize the aviation industry. Thanks to incentives such as tax credits and the increasing availability of renewable energy sources, green hydrogen has the potential to become cheaper than traditional fossil fuels, reducing the cost of air travel and contributing to sustainable development.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

so we'll all be able to pop along to Heathrow to refuel at some stage  ......... 🤩

Malc

And many other places. Most cars than can be converted to LNG (liquid natural gas) can be converted to run on hydrogen.

But: here is something to enjoy:

Pure water to moisten our wrinkled faces, plus emission from hydrogen powered machines to swim in, where there is enough of it.

fossil-free-hydrogen-Industrial-Emissions-Face-Mist-Vattenfall-YouTube-1140x641.thumb.jpg.61b4821330caed3df3c555c443363811.jpg

fossil-free-hydrogen-Cara-Delevingne-Industrial-Emissions-Face-Mist-Vattenfall-YouTube.thumb.jpg.21518c832e7eb762352524ce0f37f2df.jpg

19 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

It's a secret, only for those with hydrogen powered cars. If you give me the make, model, registration and VIN of your hydrogen car, then I can let you know your nearest location 🙂

Oh it requires someone to have bought an hydrogen fuel cell car!! 

Given a number of posters on here love hydrogen fuel cell cars, let's see of they can help :).

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

And many other places. Most cars than can be converted to LNG (liquid natural gas) can be converted to run on hydrogen.

But: here is something to enjoy:

Pure water to moisten our wrinkled faces, plus emission from hydrogen powered machines to swim in, where there is enough of it.

fossil-free-hydrogen-Industrial-Emissions-Face-Mist-Vattenfall-YouTube-1140x641.thumb.jpg.61b4821330caed3df3c555c443363811.jpg

fossil-free-hydrogen-Cara-Delevingne-Industrial-Emissions-Face-Mist-Vattenfall-YouTube.thumb.jpg.21518c832e7eb762352524ce0f37f2df.jpg

OK you guys

THIS IS the refuelling station i want to use 

so tell me please 

AND Gang where we can go meet with this purveyor of hydrogen stuff 

Malc

• Haha 1

Is it good or bad news? https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65643064

China overtakes Japan as world's top car exporter

Japan is in our part of the world looked upon as a friendly country; China not so much.

More cars are now for the first time being exported from China than from Japan.

Good that more cars are leaving China to get price down or not helping us as most of the cars go to Russia?

Does it matter?

Something else does matter. Or do we really not care?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65129735

Climate change: Catalonia in grip of worst drought in decades

In the Sau reservoir, teams in small boats are hard at work hauling out fish with nets. The idea is to remove them before they die and rot in the water getting hot while evaporating.

Olive oil from Spain is for good reasons highly regarded. If trees are not watered by rain or otherwise, olive oil will not be abundant. Same problem in Italy, where olive oil in very good quality also use to come from.

You may not know, but Spain also used to be growing a lot of rice, without lots of water, no rice.

Another place in Spain:

Fish rescued from dried-out river as drought, torrid heat hit Spain 

By Horaci García and Albert Gea

A worker sets free some native fish species to another location due to the low water level of the River Onyar, in Girona, Spain,

April 26, 2023. REUTERS/ Albert Gea

image.thumb.png.12dc656fde4f66f6ba786415279a8580.png

GIRONA, Spain, April 26 (Reuters) - Spanish authorities rescued native fish from a river shrivelled by a prolonged drought on Wednesday, as the country endured abnormally high temperatures that Spain's meteorological agency attributed to climate change.

Temperatures in April were this year measured as high as normally only in August during heat waves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-64966953

Drought risk to England regions after dry February, scientists warn

image.thumb.png.6e37f145d5459108721de61785dd380f.png

Water levels in rivers, reservoirs and groundwater levels were abnormally low in February

It might feel wet this week but experts are warning that parts of England need unseasonable rainfall to compensate for an abnormally dry winter.

But is it good? Or bad?

The picture below is from 2013 and is today as important as it was not then.

image.thumb.png.401f4e29e39fdacda1c955cff44799e6.png

Why climate change is good for the world

Don't panic! The scientific consensus is that warmer temperatures do more good than harm.

Some are greedy and stupid enough to believe that it is more important to keep economic growth than to keep the planet so it will be a good place to be for coming generations.

What has this to do with hydrogen rollout?

Already next year there will be a problem getting enough lithium to produce the number of batteries needed for electric cars in order to live up to promised pollution reduction.

We have limited resources to make batteries from and very limited resources to charge these batteries from. We will run out of resources long before we reach the goal our politicians have told us to achieve.

image.thumb.png.1cc77e9a0d108e7d3fe3e99a6c606af0.png

1 electric car uses as much Battery material as 90 hybrid cars or 6 plug-in hybrid cars.

If we spread the big Battery to many smaller batteries and use these in hybrid cars, we can reduce pollution 30 times more efficiently than we do today, because very many trips are cars are very short and charging a big Battery and carrying the weight of the big Battery use a lot of not needed energy. Plug-in hybrids are far better than EV cars with a big Battery for the environment close to 90% of the time (and your money, if possible, to charge car home) as the car will not need to pollute or use as much electricity to charge.

We should not use gasoline or diesel to make electricity from as both fuels can be used far more efficiently other ways. We should not burn coal to make electricity.

Government in Japan expect to have made hydrogen fuel station so many places the in 2025 the goal is to have at least 200.000 cars running on hydrogen as fuel. As of now there are more than 160 hydrogen fuel stations in Japan, second only to China with more than 250 (China is so much bigger that the numbers are not comparable). Price for hydrogen is going down and with higher fuel efficiency it has it will be cheaper than gasoline in 2025 or possibly earlier.

Trucks, busses, ships will come first to use the fuel and with good reason as they pollute a lot. Airplanes also pollute a lot, but with safety in mind it may take 5 – 10 years longer before passenger transport will be common fuelled with hydrogen. So far, the turbines are not running well on hydrogen without other fuel types are added to it.

Tesla agent vs.Toyota agent.

Funny beard though. ZZ TOP fan?

Where is the electricity coming from? Where is the hydrogen coming from. Which is forever possible to reuse? Which will be landfill when no longer efficient?

I trust Toyota is looking in the right direction. Water can be reused when it has been hydrogen. Look at batteries and see the same?

Greed and stupidity are what is directing us or our politicians to trust in just one kind of powering, and batteries is the most stupid of the possible ways to store energy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Nice car. I've seen an earlier american video several years ago and it was only $5 per kg, the video shows it about $15!!! I'm guessing costs have gone down not up. So they seem to be profiteering.

I've also read that the only maintenance is a filter change. I'm guessing this is the air filter as nothing else goes in. So you buy on on eBay for say, £20 TOPS, undo a few clips and that's it your annual maintenance is DONE. I'm guessing this is why they're thinking of making ICE engines that burn hydrogen. I've always thought Lexus sell their cars cheap but make the money back on maintenance and/or it's a trick to generate jobs.

An american start-up wants to swap batteries and is agreeing with manufacturers to make their batteries swappable. This might be an improvement over manufacturers swapping batteries as it doesn't leave you chained to one supplier.

There was also a Tesla owner in the US who tried to charge when it was very cold and the car wouldn't let him. Several hours later he came back and it hadn't charged at all, it was still supposedly trying to warm up the Battery but somehow failing to do so.

44 minutes ago, flotsam said:

Nice car. I've seen an earlier american video several years ago and it was only $5 per kg, the video shows it about $15!!! I'm guessing costs have gone down not up. So they seem to be profiteering.

I've also read that the only maintenance is a filter change. I'm guessing this is the air filter as nothing else goes in. So you buy on on eBay for say, £20 TOPS, undo a few clips and that's it your annual maintenance is DONE. I'm guessing this is why they're thinking of making ICE engines that burn hydrogen. I've always thought Lexus sell their cars cheap but make the money back on maintenance and/or it's a trick to generate jobs.

An american start-up wants to swap batteries and is agreeing with manufacturers to make their batteries swappable. This might be an improvement over manufacturers swapping batteries as it doesn't leave you chained to one supplier.

There was also a Tesla owner in the US who tried to charge when it was very cold and the car wouldn't let him. Several hours later he came back and it hadn't charged at all, it was still supposedly trying to warm up the battery but somehow failing to do so.

Price for hydrogen seems to be mentioned very different many places, maybe depending on how it is made. Making hydrogen from oil is cheap and polluting, but then most electricity is made the cheapest way as well.

Batteries have limited life span, no matter how well maintained they will lose power far earlier than the rest of the car is worn out. Another problem is that there on earth simply is not enough lithium to build all the big batteries needed to electrify transport. Batteries that are not longer efficient are rather useless.

Batteries do not function well when cold and not at all when very cold or very warm while hydrogen can be used in even very cold climates. Have seen a video where the boss from Toyota says that when being such a powerful company with big resources it is time to do the right thing for the world we live in and not just think of short time profit and he hopes that other companies will do similar.

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.9db7b1b57c4802f7f593050490e4762d.png

PESA introduces first certified hydrogen shunting locomotive

By ERIN KILGORE              https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/author/erin-2-2-2/

The locomotive is to be approved for the European Market

The hydrogen shunting locomotive – which is the first to be certified and approved in Europe – was first introduced at InnoTrans 2022 in Berlin by PESA, Poland’s largest manufacturer of rolling stock. PESA is the first Polish manufacturer of rolling stock to implement hydrogen fuel cell drives in rail vehicles.

The locomotive is equipped with Ballard fuel cells.

The hydrogen shunting locomotive is a SM42-6D prototype 4-axle locomotive powered by two 85 kW fuel cells supplied by Ballard Power Systems. It is also equipped with regenerative braking, which charges the 167.6 kW/h lithium titanate-oxide traction batteries. As for its hydrogen tanks, they have a 175kg capacity, and a single refuelling is all that is needed for a 24-hour shunting operation.

Shunting, also known as switching, locomotives are widely used for operation in shunting yards around the world. Many railway operations use them to sort trains and shunters (or switchers). In Europe, alone, there are over 6,000 shunters in operation.

Currently, most of these locomotives are powered by diesel fuel. Due to the fact that rail yards are typically closely located to cities, their contribution of GHG, particulates, SOx and NOx emissions is significant. PESA has made zero- and low-emission rail transport the focus of its product strategy.

image.thumb.png.96d6aafe7ad1f0af47196d97bf093d84.png 

The SM42-6Dn hydrogen shunting locomotive is the first of PESA’s H2 product range.

For the past three years, PESA has been working on pioneering projects for shunting locomotives. Its hydrogen shunting locomotive – the SM42-6Dn – marks the first stage of the company’s program to incorporate H2 technologies into its range of products.

Ballard’s modular fuel cell technology design that has been used in the locomotive’s drivetrain, allows for better fuel efficiency, resilience, and performance, preventing degradation of the fuel cell power unit. Moreover, the fuel cell module lifetime is over 30,000 hours of operation in the field without failure.

“Supplying our robust and durable fuel cell module to PESA’s hydrogen locomotive demonstrates Ballard’s proven market experience, our performance in delivering fuel cell power for pioneering vehicles and the promise of comprehensive customer support for industry-first solutions,” said Oben Uluc, Sales and Commercial Director, EMEA, Ballard, in a recent blog posted by Ballard.

The H2 locomotive to begin operation in Q1 2023

The SM42-6Dn locomotive passed preliminary operational testing in August 2022, and completed the Railway Institute’s certification tests in December. The completion of the final homologation testing took place after a special mobile hydrogen refuelling station was built in partnership with PKN ORLEN, PESA’s fuel and energy collaborator, on an experimental track in Plock, Poland. This station ensured that all dynamic tests could be conducted efficiently.

PESA’s development approach always included being able to offer a commercially-ready vehicle with supporting mobile H2 refuelling infrastructure. PESA and PKN ORLEN intend to put the SM42-6Dn hydrogen shunting locomotive into operation in the first quarter of this year and will offer the fuelling station as part of the package.

On 5/19/2023 at 8:52 AM, Malc1 said:

OK you guys

THIS IS the refuelling station i want to use 

so tell me please 

AND Gang where we can go meet with this purveyor of hydrogen stuff 

Malc

Looks fowards to it, glad to hear you have finally bought a hydrogen fuel cell car :).

Which one did you get? We are in Loch Lommand next week, why don't we meet up to compare how BEVs and Hydrogen fuel cells car work and give everyone some feedback?

21 hours ago, flotsam said:

There was also a Tesla owner in the US who tried to charge when it was very cold and the car wouldn't let him. Several hours later he came back and it hadn't charged at all, it was still supposedly trying to warm up the battery but somehow failing to do so.

I also hear some people think the Earth is flat....must be ture right?

EVs in the UK seem to work fine in winter, any idea how hydrogen fuel cell cars manage a UK winter, so real life experiences you can share would be great :).

spacer.png

• Haha 1

An american company has revived the idea of Battery swapping. Most EVs need

5 hours ago, ganzoom said:

I also hear some people think the Earth is flat....must be ture right?

EVs in the UK seem to work fine in winter, any idea how hydrogen fuel cell cars manage a UK winter, so real life experiences you can share would be great :).

spacer.png

So, after all the demanding of a straight answer from Malc.,you offer a facetious answer yourself!

Can we have a straight answer please?

• Like 2

As I was typing above before I read the daft reply from Gang. An american company has revived the idea of Battery swapping. This is just an admission that Battery EVs are a huge mistake. As John has pointed out above, batteries have a limited life-span. One Tesla owner blew his up rather than pay the €30,000 Tesla were asking for a replacement Battery.

The Battery swapping idea is just an admission that having to wait hours and possibly in a queue at a charge-point means you don't want to own a Battery EV. Obviously, we're being corralled into Battery EVs and heat-pumps for heating to encourage us to buy solar panels and wind turbines.

Sam, any idea how many cars catch fire in the UK per year? How about 100,000.- or 300 each day. 65% is arson or crime related but the rest is petrol and diesel cars going up in smoke mainly due to accidents or bad maintenence. Batterycars are not more dangerous.

41 minutes ago, flotsam said:

As I was typing above before I read the daft reply from Gang. An american company has revived the idea of battery swapping. This is just an admission that battery EVs are a huge mistake. As John has pointed out above, batteries have a limited life-span. One Tesla owner blew his up rather than pay the €30,000 Tesla were asking for a replacement battery.

The battery swapping idea is just an admission that having to wait hours and possibly in a queue at a charge-point means you don't want to own a battery EV. Obviously, we're being corralled into battery EVs and heat-pumps for heating to encourage us to buy solar panels and wind turbines.

Chinese car manufacturer www.nio.com has been doing this for some time and made it their unique sellingpoint. They own Battery swap stations that are fully automated and you can change your Battery within some minutes. However i dont think it will catch on in Europe as chargingtimes have come down drastically with more powerful chargers of 3/450kw and cars that operate on 800v architecture. 10 to 15 minutes charging will give you a couple of hundred miles.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links