Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt replacement for SC430??????

Jonny Smith

I’m told by forum members that you must replace the Timing Belt when your SC430 has reached 100k miles. However, my local mechanic served his time at Toyota and Lexus main dealer and he says this is not required provided it is not stretched.

I am planning a trip to France and Spain and my SC has 97k miles but runs fine.

can I have your opinions please?

I am very interested in this topic. My SC430 has done 92,000 miles and had the belts changed in 2012 at 79844 miles - opinion please should I get them changed? when only done 12156 miles?

Views and thoughts would be very welcome  - Philip

2 hours ago, messi said:

Its every 100000 miles or 10 years, which ever comes first.

I would just do it for peace of mind. Why have that constantly worry in the back of mind that it might go at some point and it will be a very expensive job if it did compared to just doing the belt done. At some point you are going to have it done anyway so why not now unless you are not going to keep the car. Although if you were to sell it a new buyer would try and knock the price down if it hasn’t been done. Which means either way you don’t gain anything from not having it done.  When I bought my 2004 car 18 months ago it had only done 7,300 miles yet Lexus still changed the belt because of the age of the car. They are also fitted new tyres and Battery due to age. The radiator was changed as well but there seems to be some debate on the reliability of this on the SC.

• Like 3

Hi Jonny

As you are probably aware the SC430 engine is not a safe engine and if the cambelt breaks the repair costs would be colossal.

I would imagine that very few garages would take the risk of selling an SC430 without doing the job or having proof and a receipt of it having been replaced by a trustworthy.

I would worry that a visual inspection can not forsee belt deterioration that may start in the next few miles. I'm sure your auto engineer, irrespective of how good he is would want to guarantee it.

It is also good practice to replace the water pump and consider tensioner replacement at the same time. 

This is not an area to take risks with, good luck.

Anthony

• Like 2

Jonny welcome to this forum 

Has yours been changed in, say, 2013  ?

If so you're probably OK for this next trip to Europe ....  5/6k miles is it to be  ?

10 years / 100k miles whatever arises first is the way to go ..  anything different and the gods need to be with you 

do you do the lottery 😅

Malc

• Like 2

Juan Thornes the administrator of the Facebook Group Lexus SC430 Club UK posted this last month which seems like a good deal and might be of interest to someone needing this done.

“Evening all!

Lexus Sheffield after sales director Gary Hudson called me this morning to say that the £499 cambelt and water pump replacement including labour and coolant offer will have to end due to price inflation on parts and sundries.

Good news!!! Lexus Sheffield will still offer all Lexus SC430 Club UK members the same excellent offer with a slight increase to £599. This £100 increase is still GREAT bargain. 

Take advantage of this wonderful offer and also book you SC or any other Lexus vehicle in for a service with Lexus Sheffield.

Thank you all. Iooking forward in see you all at this year's workshop and car show in June. 

Best wishes.
Juan.

• Like 4

Lexus don't consider that to be so ..............  and most garages don't either  IMHO

Your choice whatever you instruct them to do of course .  it's a very modest add-on cost to replace the waterpump while it's all being taken to pieces 

If I was buying a car I would want to specifcally know it's actually been changed 

Malc

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 1:43 PM, Jonny Smith said:

However, my local mechanic served his time at Toyota and Lexus main dealer and he says this is not required provided it is not stretched.

Is he thinking of an engine with a chain rather than belt? The belts don't really suffer from stretching, but they will crack and snap with age/use without warning.

23 hours ago, Dr Philip said:

I won't be doing anything, but the garage has instructions to change the cam belt kit - which I have always considered to be water pump, tensioners etc.

Do you know if the water pump was changed with the previous belt 12k miles ago? If so then I wouldn't spend £200 on a new pump when it has another 60k+ miles life in it (provided the correct service intervals have been maintained on the coolant).

• Like 2

Well done Jonny, you have made the right decision. 

Please share with us some photographs of your car and especially on your Continental roadtrip. I am sure we would all enjoy seeing them.

I hope you will be around to join us at the SC430 weekend meet near Coventry on 24 / 25 June.

Anthony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the great responses people!  I hadn't realised anyone had responded as I didn't receive an email alert. But wow - excellent opinions.

I will get the work done as this SC is a beauty, Bronze and in great nick, FSH and actually it was in a shed for 6 years and did hardly any miles in that time.

The offer at Lexus Sheffield seems to be decent too so many thanks for the tip-off Anthony.

Looking forward to my road trip to the Pyrenees even more now........

Cheers again

Jonny

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links