Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sooo car is currently in for paint and the windscreen ideally needs to come out - no problems there as it is delaminating in each corner and would require replacement. Had the idea to have the windscreen replaced whilst it was in for paint, body shop more than happy for this to happen and recommended their go to company. After a phone call, was disappointed that they were unable to source a windscreen.

Now this puts me in a spot of bother, the car is not currently insured, so I can't go through insurers. After some mild googling, haven't been able to come up with much.

The current one has a Toyota stamped one, which I can find in UAE for an unholy amount of money and I am aware that screens are just made my 3rd parties and stamped accordingly, so any known companies I could approach to find a windscreen? The bodyshops windscreen guys are quite happy to fit one if I can source it, so here I am twiddling my thumbs and scratching my head looking for solutions.

Any suggestions on sourcing a front windscreen for a 96 LS400? TIA.

Kieran hi  .  for this age car i would have thought a windscreen was readily available tbh ........... Pilkington make windscreens in the UK and I'd have thought would have yours in stock ......  supplying to the usual insurers fitters 

but I'm just surmising here ...........  Good luck

Malc

Apparently not Malc, the rear screen for early LS400 models is completely obsolete so if some scumbag put that thorough the car is basically written off as you cannot replace it.

Amayama stock for the later models tends to show NLA or after 2 weeks from ordering it gets cancelled.

There may be a few in stock at fitting outfits long forgotten and nicely gathering dust but no longer on the database so computer says no.

I understand there are companies which will custom make you one but the price would probably exceed the value of the car!

If anyone ever needs a door window for the 96-97 models I have a complete set.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

the rear screen for early LS400 models is completely obsolete so if some scumbag put that thorough the car is basically written off as you cannot replace it.

a local to me Member on here had a roof tile slip off his roof to demolish his rear screen ( on his 2nd Ls400 )  ............ as you say completely irreplaceable BUT Pilkington will make you one at lotsa dosh £££££  ..... HOWEVER he now has a plastic one that he made up,  that serves the purpose and I understand took a bit of jiggery pokery to fit but sans heater etc of course 

Keeps his two elderly Ls400s on the road thankfully 🖕

Heaven forfend that we need new front screens for our elderly cars  .. thought I was going to keep her going for at least another qtr million miles and 25 years ......... 🤣

Malc

Thanks peeps for your input.

I had looked at Amayama, although they don't list the Lexus one, the same part number appears in stock when searching under Toyota, this was the one coming from UAE, which seemed pricey and hadn't even gone through to getting a shipping price.

I will email the Dutch company and see if any good.

I have been given a contact for a UK company who had stocked some of the later models screens, so have emailed to see if they have stock or could source mine.

Rear screen looks very new and had definitely been broken in before my ownership, removal of the interior revealed a few hidden pockets of glass shards.

If there is one in Holland, why don't you nip across and pick it up?  It's bulb time over here, at the moment - give your other half a treat.   😁

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Tulpen said:

If there is one in Holland, why don't you nip across and pick it up?  It's bulb time over here, at the moment - give your other half a treat.   😁

Ironically the wife is in Amsterdam visiting her best friend for her birthday, I'll see if she can take it as carry on for the flight home

May have found a UK supplier, they have 1 in stock but will check warehouse to see it in person on Monday, all the fingers and toes crossed!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There was also an episode of Wheeler Dealers featuring an obsolete windscreen. 

A chap had a warehouse full of old screens, and was able to find a screen with the correct curvatures. The damaged screen was overlaid and they marked around the outside. They then used a diamond cutter, polished the edges and fitted it to the car.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Howplum said:

Worth a try perhaps?

looks a big big private ltd company too and making brilliant profits .......... ✌️

I'd try these first before Pilkingtons .  which had it's Classic Car glass making facility here near me in Kent until it closed and they moved it North 

Malc

Thanks again for the added info.

I am going to try UK options first, have also been given some contact details for another firm who may be able to help.

If the UK fails, I shall start to branch out into EU and US 🙂

Once a solution has been found, I shall update the thread. Further suggestions still welcome in the mean time, good to have back ups A-Z!

• Like 2

Update for the thread, located a windscreen from Silver Shield Windscreens, based in St. Ives, Cambridgeshire, confirmed via car reg, part number and tint! Went and picked it up today alongside a new chrome strip for the top of the screen, mega chuffed!

Recommendation came from the LS owners on facebook and Simon who responded to my emails couldn't have been more helpful.

The next hurdle of course is, getting it fitted (and will it?) 🤣🤞

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 6:43 PM, PRT68 said:

There was also an episode of Wheeler Dealers featuring an obsolete windscreen. 

A chap had a warehouse full of old screens, and was able to find a screen with the correct curvatures. The damaged screen was overlaid and they marked around the outside. They then used a diamond cutter, polished the edges and fitted it to the car.

Trouble being he's in the US !!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Car is in full primer currently, will be blocked this week and painted next week and then new screen in (fingers and toes crossed) and then countdown begins for me to have it back 😍

135659362_WhatsAppImage2023-05-03at08_11_12.thumb.jpeg.b5070b6a9866c40b095d0193ed791f52.jpeg1757557691_WhatsAppImage2023-05-03at08_11_14.thumb.jpeg.174761a3f3c4577e77d8088d61203a3e.jpeg

• Like 4

The body shop have really gone to town on the dismantling. Presumably leaving the rear screen in is a question of expediency. Even removing the door external window trim is more complicated than most, necessitating removal of the glass first. Are those DHP 17" wheels? I see you have LED bulbs at the rear - are they better? 

They were highly recommended among my automotive friends and considering the car was about 3 different shades of white, few rusted spots and torn bumper corners from careless previous owners, I wanted it done properly. Not to mention the addition of the Artisan Spirits kit. The owner and I had a great chat about 'how far' he wanted me to go with the paint job and we agreed it needed more than a 'blow over'.

Funnily enough, I didn't actually ask if they were removing the rear screen, the front came out as it was delaminating in all 4 corners and required replacement and just made for an easier job. There was a few rust spots creeping through under the outer window chromes which required repair, so I'd imagine he removed them all to make sure nothing was hiding. I'm most surprised the bottom cladding came off, but pleases me the job has been nothing but thorough.

Yes they are DHP wheels, all freshly refurbed, really are a lovely wheel. Wish they came in 18's but I do prefer them over the 18's I had on the car as a stop gap whilst sourcing them, even managed to get 5, so have a spare 🙂

Good spot on the LEDs, I like the more intense/ clear light they provide but despite being sold as CANBUS compatible there is a dash light on saying a bulb is out. Still comtemplating if adding resistors will look ugly, or do I just go back to stock... decisions!

• Like 3

The lower plastic cladding is quite easy to remove in fact. Are they going to be body colour or the original complimentary colour? I'm going to repaint my black '96 and am in a quandary whether to go all black or stay black and grey.

"I used to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure!"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Howplum said:

The lower plastic cladding is quite easy to remove in fact. Are they going to be body colour or the original complimentary colour? I'm going to repaint my black '96 and am in a quandary whether to go all black or stay black and grey.

"I used to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure!"

I want to keep it the original two tone and although generally not a silver car person, I do think it works well, plus the wheels add to it without being OTT.

I think either works for you, full blace can look lovely but if I were to pick a complimentary colour, it would be grey!

I understand the problem, I hate being indecisive... or do I? 😉

• Like 1

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure:0)

Do the two tone colours make the LS400 look dated or is it a classic look?

The Maybachs are more obvious and look good so I'm sticking with the two tone on both of mine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stanwithaplan said:

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure:0)

Do the two tone colours make the LS400 look dated or is it a classic look?

The Maybachs are more obvious and look good so I'm sticking with the two tone on both of mine.

I think you can get away with some of the colour combinations more than others and of course as is everything, it is a matter of personal taste and opinion. I saw a brown-ish metallic with beige interior and I swear it looked ancient.

But you could equally argue that the browns, beiges etc are more 'classic'. I used to think green made cars look dated, now I find myself eyeing a few cars on the green spectrum.

I tend to agree with you on the brown ones Keiran, I've seen a couple of bad condition examples and they are not my cup of tea tbh. My gold one looks good to me but I'm biased and my Imperial Jade Mica (Green one) has a hard to work out 2nd colour, I've found two options its probably either Green Mica Metallic or also called Greenish Grey Pearl?? Gonna have to match it as best I can when I get paint restoration done in a couple of weeks.

4.jpg

IMG_5117.jpeg

I suppose the two tone effect helps to break up any "slab sided" effect caused by the lack of crease lines or adornments. It was used by Mercedes-Benz at the time, albeit with a satin finish to the lower panels. 

• Like 1

I suppose the two tone effect helps to break up any "slab sided" effect caused by the lack of crease lines or adornments. It was used by Mercedes-Benz at the time, albeit with a satin finish to the lower panels. 

Stan, this might help:

Apologies Kieran, I seem to have taken this completely off topic!

• Like 1

I’ll bring it back on topic.

Care to reveal the price of the windscreen Kieran? Just curious how it compares with the other options mentioned and do they have more stock?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links