Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

B4U2 it sprt of fell into my hands. Needed something that I could get in and out of with 7 slipped discs and one torn one. As my days of getting into low slung cars are past me ☹️. Also like a car with enough grunt to drive over the Scottish highlands. Then when i go south to visit family and friends its a 700 mile drive one way. If I couldn't get a LS430 was going to look at a RX400H. 

Razor61 that sounds very tempting. Be going back to where I did some relief work as chef. Yes it was in the days when i was allowed to drink. Can't now due to meds and a very ****** back.  That was over 20 years ago. Haven't had a road trip in last few years for obvious reasons (covid19) and many tests and scans to see how badly I damaged my body. Result of a misspent (?) youth 🤣🤣🤣

Here is my latest quote for cambelt water pump tensioners pulleys and radiator. This from a "local" Toyota dealer (100 miles down road). Not a lot cheaper than Lexus dealer. Lexus dealer is offering a lot more value for money. As MOT is due in a couple of months tempted to go to Lexus dealer and have my LS throughly checked. Have found a local independent garage in same town as me that is prepared to quote. Conversation was very constructive; he checked on computer to see if special tools needed for cambelt before offering to quote. No special tools are needed for cambelt. Also suggested changing gearbox oil filter. I think words Lexus and V8 scare anyone but Lexus. KJ04AED-ESTIMATE.pdf

Thanks for the insight David and to be sure Lexus terrifies anyone who are not familiar with the brand but they are pretty straight forward well engineered cars and as some members are aware not to difficult to work on.The costs of taking this job to a main dealer of any type and I am aware that Park are a reputable group in Scotland( nice coaches) is their overheads which cascade into a fairly mundane task for a decent mechanic, couple that with a sitting around looking at it labour rate and you are probably wishing you had avoided the Lexus name,the Vat alone is a week in Benidorm.

We are fortunate in the south to have choices but from your rigorous research your experience is similar to my time in Scotland when I was locked into Lexus Glasgow.

Since then because the brand as more sales down here there are plenty of options as time as caught up with the spread of technichans leaving Main dealerships hence independants capable and confident to offer service at cost without the polished marble and free coffee.

8 hours ago, DJT said:

Here is my latest quote for cambelt water pump tensioners pulleys and radiator. This from a "local" Toyota dealer (100 miles down road). Not a lot cheaper than Lexus dealer. Lexus dealer is offering a lot more value for money. As MOT is due in a couple of months tempted to go to Lexus dealer and have my LS throughly checked. Have found a local independent garage in same town as me that is prepared to quote. Conversation was very constructive; he checked on computer to see if special tools needed for cambelt before offering to quote. No special tools are needed for cambelt. Also suggested changing gearbox oil filter. I think words Lexus and V8 scare anyone but Lexus. KJ04AED-ESTIMATE.pdf

but they're charging £120 plus VAT an hour labour and you're buying TWO radiators .  on that Estimate  .  what's that all about then !

Isn't there a local garage that will charge you a more sensible 50% of that extortionate labour charge ?  will your new-found indy be more realistic do you think ?

AND give you a free cuppa if you have to wait around to chat about things 😉

Malc

I see that the nearest Toyota garage is in Inverness, which is quite a distance from you. Is there an independent Toyota technician anywhere near you? Although a lot of members on here might baulk at the idea that a Lexus is 'just a posh Toyota', in essence they are just that.

Before there were Lexus Centres in Scotland, I had my '94 LS 400 serviced by Toyota (Arnold Clark - before it became Lexus Glasgow).

Maybe you are now starting to realise why the car was so cheap to buy. 

• Like 1

Tulpen you are probably right. Although this problem is not unique to Lexus owners. Quite a lot of cars go to Inverness for regular servicing warranty work. To buy a new car Inverness is closest place to go. 

Malc1 not sure on local indie but at least he didn't give a no straight away. Other high end cars must have similar issues for cambelt etc replacement. There are many Audi's BMW and Merc's up here with V6; inline 6 and V8 engines. Some are on timing chains which need to be replaced at 100k miles. I know of one owner who drives to London every couple of years to buy his new car. Work being done by Lexus dealer is a two day job. So will have plenty of time for drinking coffee or go and enjoy the city. 

3 hours ago, ambermarine said:

Have you ever been up the high road Malcolm.

several wonderful and amazing magical tours around Scotland AND even a cruise around the Isles etc with Fred Olsen it might have been some years back

Well, all I can say is that there must surely be an indy that's capable of doing this quite straightforward work on your Ls ........  maybe go check-out where the local used car sales guys get their work done ..  that might be an option !  ..........  that's all I used when i had my car sales business many moons back .  for whatever marque we had work done  .  my first Lexus, BMWs Bentleys and even a RR

But I still don't fathom why they're quoting for 2 goddam radiators !  .  if that's an error on the Quote then god help the customer getting the work done there !

Malc

Hi everyone got to bottom of brakes issues. Garage phoned me and told me "someone has cut all the brake wear sensor cables. Brakes are very impressive." Garage got a quote from lexus for all 4 sensors £300 a sensor x4. Google this problem and it says to cut wires and join them together; then brake warning lights and messages go out. So why anyone would want to cut them raises a lot of questions. I have my own theories, probably best not said on public forum. Went for drive after being told brakes are OK. So put in sport suspension mode and away I go. Not very far (less than 2 miles) as back feels "wrong". Back to garage to check tyre pressures. I have 245/45/18 tyres. All very 4 where very different pressures.  O/S/R 37psi; N/S/R 42psi; O/S/F 27psi; N/S/F 20psi. Could not see or feel differences until I engaged sport suspension mode 🤔🤔🤔. Explains tracking feeling. This on tyres that where fitted in a national quick fit place. Believe they also fitted the new rear brakes. My car was sold to me with handbrake issue but when I tested; by engaging drive with handbrake on facing down a hill; it never moved apart from squatting on rear. 

16 hours ago, DJT said:

someone has cut all the brake wear sensor cables

it's not uncommon to just allow the sensor pads themselves to fall away ....  on the Ls400 they are renowned with age it seems to do that and provided you are a sensible owner and have the car properly serviced by a trusted indy, then he/she will always check the pads/discs for wear and replace as appropriate ........physically and actually doing the job of the sensors themselves and I do remember the sensors were often stupidly over sensitive and told a tale long before needed ....  and I mean several 000's of miles prior             I think all my sensors went aeons ago and I rely on sensibilities and excellent servicing as above 

I've never come unstuck with that and seemingly saved £1200 + labour in the process      😉

Malc

Malc1 that's along the garage said. Take it away it is safe to drive. When you get a car new to you; then get warning lights and messages regard brakes, it prudent to get braking system checked. For MOT need to have lights and messages not lit up. 

Just now, DJT said:

For MOT need to have lights and messages not lit up. 

maybe cars pre 2012 aren't that required  ??   check that out with the MOT guys .  maybe 2006, not sure !  Your 2004 car should be ok for MOT with dash lights lit methinks

BUT of course be sure that everything works ok and it's just silly lights malfunction

17 hours ago, DJT said:

cut wires and join them together

and what was said about this might be what happened to mine to take away the Xmas Tree syndrome too

Malc

31 minutes ago, DJT said:

For MOT need to have lights and messages not lit up. 

My 2006 LS430 passed the MOT with the "Brake Wear" light/message. It was an advisory but not a fail:

• "Brake wear light on dashboard"
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 4:09 PM, Malc1 said:

maybe cars pre 2012 aren't that required  ??   check that out with the MOT guys

Can anyone confirm ?

I'm reading that cars pre April 2012 are NOT failable at the MOT with dash lights malfunctioning  ////////  OBVIOUSLY you have to ensure the car is safe and everything works as it should BUT a simple dash light, Xmas Tree light syndrome won't fail her the  MOT

Am i reading this correctly ?

Malc

I will be going to garage at some point this week. Ask them about then as they will be doing MOT. Same garage refused to MOT my other car as ABS light was lit and cannot get hold of an ABS sensor for it. Tried Google search across the globe. Even world wide  owners club say that ABS sensor is unavailable. So looking for sensor that might work from same marque. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links