Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just bought myself a 2004 LS430 for £1k. Not sure what spec level it is. It has height adjustable suspension; built in sun screens on rear side and back windows; heated seats front and back; rear seats have massage with tilt and slide functions; fridge behind rear centre arm rest; full set of new tyres Has issues the owner was up front about. Need front brake pads and handbrake cable (?). Saying handbrake cable as discs and pads are new on the back. Tracking needs doing along with cambelt. Far as I can tell everything works except the reach adjuster on steering wheel. Know I will need a few £1000 to sort above issues. Body work is straight no dings in a metallic grey/black. Inside is cream coloured. Biggest question is have I made a mistake in purchasing at this price and condition. Seller apperantly had lots of enquiries to buy but want to sell to someone local ? Seems honest and let me test drive on my own. Awaiting replies good bad or different. 

• Like 3

woweee .  the MOT history reads pretty damn good .........  pre life as a taxi maybe  ?

btw the MOT runs out  24th June  .............  bet she's been ever so well serviced and looked after all these years too  .  the steering column rake adjustment i hear can be ever so expensive and many owners just adjust themselves to as it is .....  saves maybe a grand or so on that alone 

sounds a true Gem you've landed

Well done

Do keep us posted on developments  ......  Lucky You eh !

Malc

Hi Malc thanks for the positive feedback. Radiator is on list to do when cambelt and water pump changed. As the cooling system is being drained makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a real bargain (cheapest I have heard an LS sold for!!) but you have got a fair bit of work lined up for yourself there.
She's got some mileage on her at 317+k but the engines on these go forever with regular maintenance.

You can replace the steering reach motor if you want, but as Malc said, most don't.
If you pop the covers off you can manually adjust it to where you want it, and just leave it there.

If it had new disks on the rear then it may just need the adjusters for the shoes setting correctly but it may also be a worn out parking-brake cable at that mileage.
The parking brake is a drum brake and you can normally adjust them with a screwdriver through a hole in the disk.

Congrats on your facelift LS430 :thumbup:

I'm thinking you might have the highest mileage of any car for a member here .......  whatever the model 

Well done again   ..  s'posing Caithness and long long Scottish roads makes for higher miles  .  the prior owners have certainly got the best from the car .  long long comfy brilliant miles 

Malc

It sounds like you have picked up a good one with no serious issues. The reach adjuster on my steering wheel has failed but I can live with that. Relax and enjoy the comfort.

Up date on LS steering column motors are now working as steering wheel now tilts away from driver. Not sure why. What missed on viewing to buy is my exhaust is not as Lexus designed. I only have one quite large bore exhaust pipe from centre of car. Cambelt replacement is overdue by several thousand miles. Have put a post up in Engines forum about looking for someone capable of carrying out cambelt, water pump; radiator replacement and handbrake shoes/pads. Dash tells me parking brake pads low plus having two red lights lit. One is parking brake and other red triangle with i in the middle of it.  Nearest place I can find is dealers in Edinburgh and Glasgow. 6-8 hours driving one way. Might have to take holiday to get down and back plus whatever time is nesscary for replacements. Ummm what looked a good deal is turning into "problem".

There are no wear sensors on the parking brake shoes ( they use a drum within the disc for the parking brake), chances are the pads are worn out destroying the wear sensor or the sensor wires are broken.

Also check the brake fluid level as this flags a warning light if low.

My other half has always fancied a visit to Scotland but 2 days with me stuck under a bonnet would not be her idea of a break plus it now takes me a week to recover from a DIY oil and filter change!

• Like 2

Any competent mechanic can do all of that work. They (or you) can get the parts online or from the usual automotive parts suppliers or directly from Toyota/Lexus.
I had my brakes done at National Tyres & Autocare (now part of Halfords) and the wheel bearings are currently being replaced by Westfield Motors.
So now you just need to find a competent local mechanic. 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

So now you just need to find a competent local mechanic.

which is the situation for the majority of all car owners whatever .......... there's nowt really super special about working on a Ls430 .  it's just " nice " to be able to find someone competent who's done that car before which, in the remoteness of parts of Scotland might be a little tricky ........

15 hours ago, DJT said:

Ummm what looked a good deal is turning into "problem".

a relatively tiny problem methinks tbh

Good luck

Malc

My local garage told they don't have the tool to lock the cams.

Rest they are happy to do. Garage is best in area. Their default for parts is to use dealer parts. Have no complaints on standard of work. Did have a thought of using a Toyota dealer believing they have had training on the Toyota/Lexus V8 engine. A Toyota dealer is a lot closer, still a 2 hour drive though. 

Arrr the “We don’t have the tools” excuse, locking the cams is helpful but not an essentially critical requirement, so long as the timing marks are fully aligned when fitting the new belt.

Obviously you wouldn’t expect them to order the “Toyota Special Camshaft Locking Tool x2” at £300.00 plus VAT but even a couple of fleabay universal locking tools would be fine for a job every 10 years.

You don’t realise the remoteness of Wick until you get to Edinburgh and the sat nav still says 250 miles to go up the mainly single lane A9 and you hope there are no wind turbines enroute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

You don’t realise the remoteness of Wick until you get to Edinburgh and the sat nav still says 250 miles to go up the mainly single lane A9 and you hope there are no wind turbines enroute.

Aye, you Sassenachs don't realise that there IS civilisation North of Perth. I have it on good authority that, next year, they will have colour TV in Thurso!   😁

• Haha 1

Steve 2006 and Tulpen at least you understand the remoteness 😁. Roads north of Inverness are a lot narrower with a couple of steep climbs and interesting corners. Inverness is 100 miles from me; takes 2 hours on a good day. 

Three quick photos of my LS430. Not in a bad condition considering milage and age. On dash warning has gone from hand pads 🤔. Still got brake warning; so will check for loose wires on brake sensors. 

20230421_164012.jpg

20230421_164615.jpg

20230421_170214.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJT said:

Still got brake warning

on the Ls400 that specific red light often just indicates a Stop Bulb has blown ........  you might be lucky

Malc

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links