Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cats On My Bonnet

Rabbers

I’ve recently had a cat - or, more likely, several cats - leaving paw-prints after walking on my bonnet, and leaving hair after taking naps between it and my windscreen.  I had the same problem a few years ago, and resorted to the use of a so-called “cat-deterrent” spray (whose name I don’t recall), albeit with mixed results.  In fact, I came to the conclusion that some cats might even have developed a liking for the stuff. 

Any advice would be much appreciated, e.g. have there been any recent advances in cat-deterrence technology, etc., etc.?

3 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Renato, keep the bonnet well waxed the little so-and-so don't like the slippery surfaces

Tried that. Two coats best carnauba. Doesn’t work.

Ultrasonic repellants work, my father had the same problem till I bought him an AC powered one (Battery one's are less effective, he had one of those too) with a motion sensor that shooed them away.

Like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=cat+repellent+ultrasonic&sprefix=cat+re%2Caps%2C105&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_6

The one I got him was from when I was living in the states bought off the shelf at Home Depot. Looked like this but for cats and coloured green:

Bird-X Deer Gard Electronic Pest Repeller Deer Repellent DG - The Home Depot

Bingo, found them here in the UK. The first looks exactly like the one I got (btw it's still running 15 years later), especially on the back controls are identical. The second link looks to be an updated version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yard-Sentinel-Electronic-Control-Repeller/dp/B00T86NCSE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sentinel-Ultrasonic-Repeller-Detector-Predator/dp/B006YD7BZY

Be aware that ultrasonic deterrents are not truly ultrasonic... My parents had one that they couldn't hear, but was very unpleasant, nay maddening, to younger ears to the point that I opened it and chopped the power lines out before reassembling. It also drove dogs mental when they walked past, which confused elderly owners who couldn't hear the screech.

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Water pistol :sniper:

Tried that too, Peter.  Momentarily effective, but creates wipe-and-dry work as result of splatters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peniole said:

Bingo, found them here in the UK. The first looks exactly like the one I got (btw it's still running 15 years later), especially on the back controls are identical. The second link looks to be an updated version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yard-Sentinel-Electronic-Control-Repeller/dp/B00T86NCSE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sentinel-Ultrasonic-Repeller-Detector-Predator/dp/B006YD7BZY

4 hours ago, donkmeister said:

Be aware that ultrasonic deterrents are not truly ultrasonic... My parents had one that they couldn't hear, but was very unpleasant, nay maddening, to younger ears to the point that I opened it and chopped the power lines out before reassembling. It also drove dogs mental when they walked past, which confused elderly owners who couldn't hear the screech.

I’m going to research the acoustic device further, but I have to confess that I was somewhat freaked out by Donk’s post.

20 minutes ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

Spray potent citrus scents on the areas affected.

Alex, aren’t potent citrus scents going to eat into my nice paintwork?  If so, I prefer the cats.

38 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

I’m going to research the acoustic device further, but I have to confess that I was somewhat freaked out by Donk’s post.

I can hear the thing too, it feels like pressure in one's ear if you're standing in front of the thing. Which is why I said set to motion sensing, not on all the time. Although I wouldn't go as far as sabotaging my parents device.

4 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

Renato,as you are having problems with cats,you could help other members who have had their "cats" stolen.They could be donated to them to weld onto their exhausts .

That’s highly creative thinking, David, but I think the RSPCA (if it still exists) might object. 

9 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I’ve recently had a cat - or, more likely, several cats - leaving paw-prints after walking on my bonnet, and leaving hair after taking naps between it and my windscreen.  I had the same problem a few years ago, and resorted to the use of a so-called “cat-deterrent” spray (whose name I don’t recall), albeit with mixed results.  In fact, I came to the conclusion that some cats might even have developed a liking for the stuff. 

Any advice would be much appreciated, e.g. have there been any recent advances in cat-deterrence technology, etc., etc.?

Apologies but I am a little confused:  Doesn't your car now belong to the cats?  They have obviously decided it will make a very comfy bed 🙂

My cat definitely owns my house and my wife and I just borrow it when he isn't looking 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Maybe they were searching for their friend the cat you have hidden in the exhaust system. 😇

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shahpor said:

… Doesn't your car now belong to the cats?  They have obviously decided it will make a very comfy bed …

I would normally consider any cats who choose a Lexus to be highly discerning creatures wholly deserving of my affection, but the ones in question treat my car like a squat and have therefore incurred my wrath.  The eviction notice I have served on them is further justified, I feel, by the fact that I have neighbours whose cars would offer the local feline population equally comfy accommodation. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Maybe they were searching for their friend the cat you have hidden in the exhaust system. 😇

I am more concerned about the prospect of kittens being hidden inside the engine compartment with consequences that don’t bear thinking about.

7 hours ago, Shada said:

Electric fence might be fun🤣

I think you underestimate the likely skill and perseverance of cats in getting around, under, or over any electric fence of less than Guantanamo size and quality.

The definitive solution is to leave lots of cat food near the car for about a month, then they will get so fat and heavy that they will not be able to jump up onto the bonnet.

Squirrels are the biggest problem. One decided to store his stash of acorns in the heater matrix of my car. Turn on the heater blower and the rattling noise was very loud. The dealer spent 4 hours dismantling the heater and showed me a handful of scuffed acorns. I suggested that a mesh on the air intake would be helpful  - I did that job myself.  Got the heater matrix work done under warranty!😉

Believe it or not I found that he lived under the petrol tank of my motorbike in the garage over winter. I discovered it after seeing the pee stains on the engine.

Squirrel dining on electricity | Smithsonian Photo Contest ...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, GMB said:

…Squirrels are the biggest problem. … 

Squirrel dining on electricity | Smithsonian Photo Contest ...

Yes, in an automotive context I suppose cats are preferable to squirrels, though I’ve never had occasion to compare their pees from any olfactory or visual standpoint.  At least cats don’t hoard acorns and nuts or, as far I know, gnaw through wires and cables.  But you have to admit that squirrels, on the whole, are more cuddly than some cats.

Amazing that the dealer fixed the heater matrix under warranty.

24 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Gulls on my bonnet! Can I borrow your cats?

No, and nor can you exchange your gulls for the pigeons I forgot to mention. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links