Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

10 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

And pay for the shiny dealer palace you are instructed to have by your only supplier that also attacks you from behind as they want to go direct to your customers over the internet. And to witness the transition to no maintenance electric vehicles, no services needed, no engine, gearbox oils or cooling fluids to sell. Before you know it you are a mere service center trying to survive on an annual kickback from your only supplier that will keep you alive as long as needed. What will be the role of a dealer in 10 years time??

Indeed. Quite noticeable how many MG dealers are popping up in place of others - they have fewer & simpler “shiny dealer palace” requirements (my old local Ford dealership had to put some red MG logos up, and a red MG arch before the entrance - the rest remains Ford dealership metallic silver) and have also committed to not going to agency in the short or medium term. Coupled with easy access to lots of stock, it’s little wonder dealers are lining up to represent them - the volumes possible makes up for lower margin on each vehicle, and fewer requirements mean lower costs and so lower margins and profit from each car is sustainable. 

it is interesting that Mercedes used to own a large retail dealership network in the UK, but sold that off to different groups, and have now moved to an agency model - taking the risk for all new sales and stock everywhere. Rather odd to essentially exit the retail market then take on all the risk again. While the intention was to stick to fixed prices and protect the margin, they’ve found themselves in the same position as dealerships of old and needing to shift cars and sell them, so some models have had significant discounts alongside 0% finance offers…

Thankfully both Toyota and Lexus in UK have indicated no plans to move to agency model  in the UK (but Toyota are testing it in other markets).

• Like 1

Just looked on Autotrader and despite Merc’s agency approach, there are loads of brand new Merc’s at heavily discounted prices e.g. EQC Premium Plus £ 9k discount. So that’s not how the agency approach was meant to work. Their announcement said single price so no stress as you would always get the best offer !

My local tyre centre is also a MG dealership. I know the manager really well there. They were forced to switch, as Peugeot after many years decided to remove the franchise - Stellantis rethink on number of dealers. He says they have never been so busy as being MG they move far more cars and they get a fair bit of warranty work ! Plus MG sell ICE cars and EV’s. He said it didn’t cost a fortune to ‘rebrand’ to MG and they don’t spend a fortune having to prepare for the tick sheet mob of ‘franchise auditors’ from Peugeot.   
However, a relative of mine bought a new MG and it has been back to the dealers with a faulty fuel gauge that they can’t get the parts for. 

I had an MG4 as my daily driver for the past 6 months and apart from an overly aggressive lane departure system (which can be disabled) it’s been fantastic. 
Spacious for a smallish hatch, relatively fun to drive around town, efficient and reliable. I can’t complain. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, talaipwros said:

Hello, is there any chance to tell us how much is the range now with the cold weather?

Many thanks

Well I was going to wait until Monday to do  a report but I'm currently in the middle of a 500 mile round trip to see relatives. On the way down on Friday in roughly -3 temperature I recorded a very impressive 3.9 miles/kwh at a steady 65Mph.

Seriously though, I hired a Tesla model 3 from Hertz at a reasonable £300 for the weekend as I knew the RZ wouldn't have made it without multiply stops and very slow charging speeds. I will report back on Monday. Off to lunch now and a couple of tinctures!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lexus RZ

450e 230kW Direct4 Takumi 71.4 kWh 5dr Auto

2023 (23 reg)

£49,990

Overview
FULL ELECTRIC HIGH SPEC
Mileage
1,459 miles

3,085 miles
below average

Registration
2023 (23 reg)

I mean, wow...

• Confused 3

Test drove a premium plus. Well put together, but interior not in line with the asking price. Sound insulation OK, but other lexi quieter. Sales even commented that lexus didn't stuff it with sound deadening material due to weight. Instrument cluster is a joke. They used the exact same screen size as in the ES as far as I can tell without the embellishments, so looks cheap, and has lost functionality. Lots of what you could do and see and adjust using steering wheel controls has been moved to the infotainment (even tyre pressure)! But worst of all for me was the horrendous reflection you get in the infotainment screen of the rear window. The second the car switched to night mode at dusk, the reflection rendered the screen unusable. Lexus sales solution, put the car always in day mode. Seriously?!

I really wanted to like it, given some of the prices we're seeing, why not grab one that has depreciated by 30% in less than a year. No. Just no.

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

tomorrow £45k to shift it to get some cash in for Xmas 🤑

Malc

Yeah, I was thinking about making an offer, then remembered this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/rz-2023

In our testing we recorded a range of only 120 miles with the larger wheels.

and got back to my senses

• Like 3

Christmas is often a good time to screw the best deal from a car sales offer 

the vendor often NEEDS to offload a chunk of metal for cash to help out with Xmas expenses and debt 

If you want a specific car right now then simply go4it 

Malc

• Like 1

To be fair, it's all electric cars. Between their over inflated prices, all the second hand ones coming off salary sacrifice schemes and no one on the second hand market willing to pay the over inflated price = crash deflation.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-12482397/Electric-cars-values-plunged-most.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peniole said:

To be fair, it's all electric cars. Between their over inflated prices, all the second hand ones coming off salary sacrifice schemes and no one on the second hand market willing to pay the over inflated price = crash deflation.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-12482397/Electric-cars-values-plunged-most.html

I think another problem with them is that those of us that were into them already have some. So I have my leaf, doing about  200 miles on  a good weather, about 140-150 winter times with heating full on etc.

Now to by the next better one I was looking for extra range. Speed is good but Leaf is already fast enough and there are cameras everywhere.

Well, EV's in real life terms haven't progressed that much. I put the deposit for the RZ hopping that at least it would do 220 miles ( if not the advertised 252) and it does not.

Same goes for other cars as well, have a look, those that are devalued the most, are those with short range ( I think)

So no market for new EV's in UK at the moment

30 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

I think another problem with them is that those of us that were into them already have some. So I have my leaf, doing about  200 miles on  a good weather, about 140-150 winter times with heating full on etc.

Now to by the next better one I was looking for extra range. Speed is good but Leaf is already fast enough and there are cameras everywhere.

Well, EV's in real life terms haven't progressed that much. I put the deposit for the RZ hopping that at least it would do 220 miles ( if not the advertised 252) and it does not.

Same goes for other cars as well, have a look, those that are devalued the most, are those with short range ( I think)

So no market for new EV's in UK at the moment

Exactly right. Same boat. Honda e. Would like more range if getting a second ev.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

The Autotrader 63 includes new upcars not resales

Yes, but most of them are resales and remember that quite a few have  been sold already ( 63 currently on the market, not sold all year)

I don't think that Andrew Walker has read about the RZ on this forum...? He obviously doesn't own one... Has he been paid in some way by Lexus...! I was one of the lucky ones that changed my mind and got my £5,000 back. ALL the other different Lexus cars read ok/good on this forum. Reading about the RZ makes me feel totally gobsmacked. I agree with John. The RZ shouldn't have a Lexus name...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links