Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Labour costs

Chefy

Hi, new to the site & just wondering if £295 / hr labour is the norm, just been quoted for changing front disc & pads & also the drop link perished replaced each charged at an hours work each, the AA recommended local garage charges £70 & has great reviews 

Up to this point I have always used Lexus dealers, but now am questioning their margin of profit.

1 hour ago, Chefy said:

Hi, new to the site & just wondering if £295 / hr labour is the norm, just been quoted for changing front disc & pads & also the drop link perished replaced each charged at an hours work each, the AA recommended local garage charges £70 & has great reviews 

Up to this point I have always used Lexus dealers, but now am questioning their margin of profit.

No, it's not the norm. I was charged £245 for rear discs and pads by my Lexus dealer, and that included parts and labour. Labour was itemised at abouut £75 an hour (in vat) but in fact I think there's a fixed price for disc and pads change somehwere on the Lexus website.

Are you sure that price didn't include the parts?

• Like 1

Sounds a bit steep. I'd go for the recommended garage and save a packet. Lexus dealer need not do things like brakes when basically the owner can do it themselves. 

Is this something else that’s disappeared from Lexus servicing then the fixed price for various jobs like brake pads and discs for older models?

Just looked on Google and nothing showing up.

What with the stolen RX450h saga and now this I’m pretty pleased I have nothing to do with Lexus stealers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spock66 said:

About an hour seems right, £295 is ridiculous imho.

As mentioned above, I think the quote for £295 includes the parts. When my rears were done labour was itemised at 1.2 hours for a total of £76.20 (ex vat).

Hi, thanks for all the feedback, they definitely listed the cost of parts separately then added + £295 x1hr labour especially as the replacement of the second part was also quoted as 1hr labour at £295 with a different cost of parts,

I will be going with the local garage as I don’t think I can rely on Lexus as I have never gone anywhere else even for a repair, to treat me fairly, shame as I have been generally really happy up to this point.

But thanks for the confirmation of my suspicions,

Hi BlueMarlin, 

see attached very unlikely that they came out both exactly £295 would be a real fluke, but willing to be proved wrong

cheersF25192C0-539A-4FCE-AF6B-A3B45F94D667.thumb.jpeg.101b8b26a2b7a8805d7b808a3b9b5dbd.jpeg

I've been pondering about this thread. I can only comment on a personal experience of none standard service hourly supply and fit. The alternator on my is250 finally gave up. I had no choice, because I was going away the next day, but to take my car to Lexus Stockport to fix. £800 supply and fit. I'm forgetful of the time taken to do the job but 2 1/5 hours right gs a bell. Gulp didn't come close but a free loan car for 4 days helped.

I was under the impression that the Lexus hourly rate was £125 per hour.

I'll have to remember to look at my bill for the job which was last August. 

Here's a part of the bill to replace alternator on is250. Clearly shows 3 hours labour at around £129 per hour. 

I think your lexus dealer got something wrong and you should query it. 

20230520_165238.jpg

On 5/20/2023 at 2:56 PM, Chefy said:

Hi BlueMarlin, 

see attached very unlikely that they came out both exactly £295 would be a real fluke, but willing to be proved wrong

cheersF25192C0-539A-4FCE-AF6B-A3B45F94D667.thumb.jpeg.101b8b26a2b7a8805d7b808a3b9b5dbd.jpeg

I may be reading it wrong, but that seems to suggest that pads and discs are £295 to replace, including labour.

As suggested, it's not clear, so I'd ask the dealer to clariify.

I think part of the problem is that for some of these things there's a fixed price from Lexus that includes parts and labour. As such, the dealer may sometimes have to fiddlle with how they enter it into their invoicing/ quoting system, which might require parts and labour to be itemised. In my earlier example, my invoice showed that labour was billed at £76.20, which I doubt was their actual labour rate, and just a figure used so that parts and labour added up to the fixed price repair cost.

• 2 weeks later...

10 hours ago, ALAW said:

I think most franchised dealers would be around the £150 to £170 mark. Query it.

PLUS  vat  ?

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links