Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic converter shield

HornettM

I have just taken delivery of a 2014 facelift CT200h FSport and would like some advice, firstly should I fit a catalytic converter shield and if so what type is best for the Lexus. Any help would be really appreciated. Cheers Martyn

Welcome to the forum and congratulation with the car. Enjoy it.

Cat shield; some say yes, some say no. For a pro thief the shield would be a few more second's work. Tilt sensor and a louder siren would be heard, but if that would stop a thief, maybe not.

Unfortunate that we have to think about such things.

I have yet to hear of a genuine Lexus catloc protected car having the Cat stolen. Last time I spoke to my Birmingham service centre the ones they fitted remained intact. Of course this is no guarantee it won't happen but certainly stacks the odds in your favour compared with some of the other options.

The biggest advantage with Lexus is with the fitting of the Catloc, the cat is smart marked and registered to your car and the information that this has been done displayed on a sticker located on the side windows. This allows law enforcement to prosecute merchants found in possession of stolen cats and trace them back to the registered owner Hence the merchants are no longer interested in receiving stolen cats that can be traced back to the donor car, so thieves are now giving those a wider berth

A non protected Cat can be removed in around 3 mins from scratch, I have been informed by my service centre that even with the workshop ramp and tools it would take in excess of 15 to 20mins to get a catloc cat butchered off.

Our Ct is an outside parked car with no signs of interference yet so hopefully they look and move on to an easier option.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2023 at 10:37 PM, Poundy said:

I have yet to hear of a genuine Lexus catloc protected car having the Cat stolen. Last time I spoke to my Birmingham service centre the ones they fitted remained intact. Of course this is no guarantee it won't happen but certainly stacks the odds in your favour compared with some of the other options.

The biggest advantage with Lexus is with the fitting of the Catloc, the cat is smart marked and registered to your car and the information that this has been done displayed on a sticker located on the side windows. This allows law enforcement to prosecute merchants found in possession of stolen cats and trace them back to the registered owner Hence the merchants are no longer interested in receiving stolen cats that can be traced back to the donor car, so thieves are now giving those a wider berth

A non protected Cat can be removed in around 3 mins from scratch, I have been informed by my service centre that even with the workshop ramp and tools it would take in excess of 15 to 20mins to get a catloc cat butchered off.

Our Ct is an outside parked car with no signs of interference yet so hopefully they look and move on to an easier option.

I'd agree with Poundy 100% also on getting a Catloc professionally fitted with a guarantee and having the registration service. Lexus Birmingham did mine also. As I've mentioned before I'd also get your CT DNA tagged with SelectaDNA.  https://www.selectadna.co.uk/dna-asset-marking/selectadna-vehicle-kit

Two things to give you that little bit more piece of mind. And your car would have warning stickers to hopefully put off the scumbags.

9 hours ago, Kaptkremmin said:

Take a look at these on Ebay item number 225555133756, fortunately the Ct I've bought has a cat lock fitted.

I had Lexus fit the genuine one a couple of years ago as they do it for cost price (I think around £250), plus it will be marked and registered on the police database. I'm glad I had it done for peace of mind, however there are some downsides...

- It rattles ever so slightly at low speed which is annoying for a silent car (its minor though)
- I've had sticks and branches get stuck in it and drag along the road.
- It's scraped on the ground a couple of times when exiting steep multi-story car park ramps.

That said, I'd rather endure these minor flaws than have someone damage my car and have to pay for a replacement catalytic converter.

15 minutes ago, SRVO said:

I had Lexus fit the genuine one a couple of years ago as they do it for cost price (I think around £250), plus it will be marked and registered on the police database. I'm glad I had it done for peace of mind, however there are some downsides...

- It rattles ever so slightly at low speed which is annoying for a silent car (its minor though)
- I've had sticks and branches get stuck in it and drag along the road.
- It's scraped on the ground a couple of times when exiting steep multi-story car park ramps.

That said, I'd rather endure these minor flaws than have someone damage my car and have to pay for a replacement catalytic converter.

When the CT was first drawn on paper and constructed, catalytic converter theft was not something much thought about.

Strange though that newer models still have the pollution fighting device placed similar easy to access places.

That the factory shield starts to rattle is something to complain about and that it is made to collect items from roads seems to prove that this is something considered after the car was designed.

On 5/24/2023 at 12:39 PM, Las Palmas said:

When the CT was first drawn on paper and constructed, catalytic converter theft was not something much thought about.

Strange though that newer models still have the pollution fighting device placed similar easy to access places.

That the factory shield starts to rattle is something to complain about and that it is made to collect items from roads seems to prove that this is something considered after the car was designed.

Since around 2019 model IIRC, Lexus have redesigned  the Catalytic Convertor so that it no longer contains so much of the desirable precious metals, making the later models a less valuable commodity. 

Cats have been installed in vehicles since 1975, same time as unleaded gasoline started. First 2 ways later 3 ways. They need to be hot, at least 400 degrees in order to function, so why they are placed in easily to access places is not easy to understand. Closer to the engine would be smarter.

Catalytic converter theft has been on the rise since the beginning of the pandemic in 2020, with an increase of over 1,000% from 1,298 in 2018 to 14,433 in 2020, according to data compiled by the National Insurance Crime Bureau. Stealing a catalytic converter can take as little as 30 seconds, and the parts have continued to remain prime targets for theft due to elevated prices on the precious metals they contain. The Preventing Auto Recycling Thefts Act was introduced in the U.S. Senate in 2023, which would mandate catalytic converters in new vehicles to come with traceable identification numbers and make catalytic converter theft a criminal offense. In March 2021, 3,245 catalytic converter thefts were recorded in the UK.

Do newer catalytic converters get stolen?

Catalytic converter theft is on the rise nationwide, new data shows. In 2022, thefts nationwide were 540% higher than all of 2020, public data company BeenVerified found.

What cars most often get catalytic converter stolen?

Top 10 vehicles targeted for catalytic converter theft:

Toyota Prius.

Honda Accord.

Honda CR-V.

Toyota Tacoma.

Ford F Series Truck.

Subaru Forester.

Toyota Camry.

Ford Econoline.

Is it OK to wrap catalytic converter? No! Wrapping of the catalytic converter is not recommended, as overheating can lead to reduced lifetime of the converter.

• 7 months later...

we have a Lexus catloc fitted....after the original cat was cut off on our drive. thieves held the front door so my wife couldn't open the door. I was out. I said thankfully people weren't trying to get into the house. a car is a car after all.

Catloc....well....I don't think you will ever stop a thief.....but if they are after a quick getaway...a catloc might at least make them think. Or.....sadly...look at the car next to you that doesn't have one fitted.

When ours was stolen they of cut the alarm cables through the front grill.  I now park the car (wherever I can) will the front facing a wall/door....as close as I can get....to try and stop access to the alarm sounder cable. Has that helped??? ....no idea

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links