Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus to unveil the all-new LBX

I was looking forward to this, but looking at the videos on YouTube this morning I feel quite underwhelmed.

Looks too car like and quite bland I think, especially around the rear three quarter, but the interior is lovely.  Maybe it will look better in the metal...

Think I will be hanging on the for next generation UX whenever that may be.

Just now, davidif said:

I'm guessing Yaris Cross under the skin?

Yes, but they have given it a slightly longer wheelbase and shorter overhangs. 

We know this isn't necessarily something for current Lexus owners, however it may bring in a whole lot of new customers who currently drive in similar cars from the competition. Let's hope the price will be reasonable... it might help Lexus become more popular in the UK. People who aren't driving a Lexus are missing out, so let's hope the build quality is still the same, despite the disappointment under the bonnet.. - I think it would've been better if they went with the CT200 / Corolla 1.8 or 2.0l engines.. but at least it's only 1280kg! Should be good enough for most people in the market for a car of this class though..

The current specs are:

• Length/width/height/wheelbase – 4,190/1,825/1,560/2,580 mm
  • Curb weight – 1,280 kg
  • Trunk capacity – 332 litres
  • Towing capacity (unbraked) – 750 kg
  • Engine – 1.5 litre, 3-cylinder in-line, petrol; Hybrid
  • Max system output/torque: 100kW (136 hp)/185 Nm (136ft/lbs)
  • Transmission – Electronic Continuously Variable Transmission
  • 0-100 km/h – 9.2 sec

16 minutes ago, Cs150 said:

The super cool Prius Gen 5 would have been a better choice to adopt to Lexus standards 

Yes. Except for finding parking space.

Size is OK for us if rear seat is not too cramped. The UX rear seat is less good than the one in CT with same driver seat positioning.

Still hoping that there will come a small hydrogen car before the CT must retire.

• Like 1

I quite like it.

I just picked up my second ES in 2yrs, mainly because the under £40k price can’t be matched when you start adding options to a UX to make it similar.

if the top spec LBX has all the extras, and sits around the £35K mark, I think it will sell. 

I did notice in the several YouTube’s I have watched that none of them are showing sunroofs or wireless charge pads., I did notice the fully adjustable seat and lumber switch though. 

• Like 1

I struggle in finding the brand identity in the exterior styling. Take off the badge and guess what it is. It does not ooze lexus. Is it a peugeot? Id3 from the front? A new Chinese? Maybe when i see it in the flesh though..

4 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

I struggle in finding the brand identity in the exterior styling. Take off the badge and guess what it is. It does not ooze lexus. Is it a peugeot? Id3 from the front? A new Chinese? Maybe when i see it in the flesh though..

This is the way all new Lexuses will go though. They changed the front end design.. The designer/engineer explains everything here: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tonyw said:

if the top spec LBX has all the extras, and sits around the £35K mark, I think it will sell. 

No - that is more likely where it is going to start. Yaris Cross ends at basically £30k (£29,680) and if we apply same logic as CHR and UX, then starting LBX probably will be like £31-32k and fully loaded one will be like £38k, but I assume you can get decent mid-range trim (like F-Sport) with most of the stuff for £34-35k (which is way way too much).

Honestly, Toyota/Lexus are way too expensive nowadays... There is absolutely no way how it can be justified that UX tops out at £46k, even £36k would be too much for what it is. Let's just be clear - LBX does not exit to provide "good value Lexus", it exists to provide justification to sell Toyota for more money.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

No - that is more likely where it is going to start. Yaris Cross ends at basically £30k (£29,680) and if we apply same logic as CHR and UX, then starting LBX probably will be like £31-32k and fully loaded one will be like £38k, but I assume you can get decent mid-range trim (like F-Sport) with most of the stuff for £34-35k (which is way way too much).

Honestly, Toyota/Lexus are way too expensive nowadays... There is absolutely no way how it can be justified that UX tops out at £46k, even £36k would be too much for what it is. Let's just be clear - LBX does not exit to provide "good value Lexus", it exists to provide justification to sell Toyota for more money.

To be fair the prices of all new cars have ballooned since manufacturers released BEVs at such inflated prices - manufacturers seem to have used the BEV pricing as an excuse to push up the non BEV prices, along with the long delivery times, rationalising (dropping cheaper models) of product ranges which all in turn has also pushed up used car prices to silly levels too. Motoring is no more for the masses - the existing car manufacturers just seem to want to sell high price, high margin cars. Whether the influx of Chinese brands will reset things we will have to wait and see... 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

- the existing car manufacturers just seem to want to sell high price, high margin cars. 

Did you read what Ford said? They'll be dropping most current cars and want to sell high end cars only and become a luxury brand lol.. There will be nothing left to buy by people who aren't earning £50k+ if everyone will start doing this 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, H3XME said:

Did you read what Ford said? They'll be dropping most current cars and want to sell high end cars only and become a luxury brand lol.. There will be nothing left to buy by people who aren't earning £50k+ if everyone will start doing this 

Quite... 

SUVs are the same - basically same amount of material and parts just sold in different form for more money.

And as long as we (as society) going to continue to buy their overpriced crap they will continue doing it. 

Hence I have long abandoned any plans to buy new car, not because I can't afford it, but just because I do not consider them worth the asking price. Used car prices are issue now, but I just accepted I will be stuck in ~2000-2010 period for foreseeable future. Or even better - maybe I get daily classic car which not only not going to lose money, but hopefully gain some. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

SUVs are the same - basically same amount of material and parts just sold in different form for more money.

And as long as we (as society) going to continue to buy their overpriced crap they will continue doing it. 

Hence I have long abandoned any plans to buy new car, not because I can't afford it, but just because I do not consider them worth the asking price. Used car prices are issue now, but I just accepted I will be stuck in ~2000-2010 period for foreseeable future. Or even better - maybe I get daily classic car which not only not going to lose money, but hopefully gain some. 

Yes, I'm keeping my current 2014 IS 300h going now as long as it's economically viable - it's done 133k miles so hopefully a few more miles left in it yet. Bought it for cash for a really good price when it was 2 years old and 40k miles and if I can get eg another 100k miles out of it reliably over the next few years then compared to buying anything new or even used (at today's prices) it will be comfortable and very cost effective motoring. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

This is one of the reasons why I bought a 2008 GS 450H.

• Like 2

Article in Autocar and Autoexpress today saying LBX will be sold at one price with different Atmosphere’s (trims). Elegant, Relax, Emotion and Cool. Price will be premium but competitive. 

I have to say it grows on me. Interior looks wonderful and on second thought the exterior is not bad as well. It is longer and wider than the Toyota derivate and looks much more balanced. This week Lexus also introduced the TX and that has thesame "Lexus DNA"in its styling, call it the new look as you may. Engine on paper looks slow and underpowered but in the real world this could be way different. I drove an IS300H that in day to day driving was just fine but on paper? Wonder how much it will cost though.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:37 PM, cadman2k said:

Wharcar first impression video worth a look at for initial views

https://youtu.be/Q2PiZ2k0hYM

If you embed the file like I just did, you will let us all see the video without all the disturbing ads youtube make an affluent life and profit on.

On 6/6/2023 at 4:27 PM, Linas.P said:

Sorry to say that you are right. Still, some might want to pay more for the nicer interior.

Why Lexus think that plastic around the wheel arches can exist on a "luxury car" is hard to understand. It looks cheap.

Anyway, it does not matter: Le Mans start in 2 hours.

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/toyota-takes-the-wraps-off-its-gr-h-2-racing-concept-at-the-24-hours-of-le-mans-57635

• Like 1

pricewise could be very close to the UX, so a new LBX or 1 yr old UX?

anyway all bets are off, Porsche or Ferrari for the win!

Surely will be the Germans but Oh Boy what a victory it would be if Ferrari pulls it off, a real classic

After my initial impressions, the more I look at the numerous videos on YouTube, the more the LBX is growing on me.

My head has been turned by the new Volvo EX30, but the interior of that looks a bit Fischer Price, whereas the LBX interior is stunning. Also, I would be nervous of leaving the Toyota/Lexus reliability/build quality bubble.

Looking forward to seeing them both in the metal to work out if they are big enough or just that little bit too small.  It seems that they both have boot capacities that are smaller than the UX, but they both 'look' bigger.

If neither are suitable, I will just hang on for the 2nd Gen UX in however many years 🤔

I would say that when the 2nd Gen UX comes out, it will be slightly larger, now they have added the LBX. Which is not bad thing for the UX. Looking forward to see the LEXUS letters on the back of the 2nd Gen UX

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links