Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi folks.

Thought I'd post this for everyone who may want to do the same as I have.

You'll have noticed that car manufacturers are making their cars to have the headlights on while driving.

So I went about discovering how I could do this to my IS250. This is probably possible on other models but I don't know if the wiring colours would be the same. Doubt it.

In this 1st photo you can see the connection that I worked on. It's under the steering wheel.

In the second photo you'll see the wires that I shorted out to cheeks if it worked.

Grey is the supply for the headlights (10V).

Orange is for setting the lights to auto (10V).

Blue is the side lights (5V)

White is to ground all of the above.

Using a solenoid to connect the grey and the white (works both side and head). The solinoid only switches on when the ignition is one.

I powered the solenoid temporary to check it all worked ok.

Just need to install the wiring properly now.

Hope you find this helpful.

IMG_5686.thumb.jpg.4b2dbad0e25e01e94bb22670e8524040.jpgIMG_5685.thumb.jpg.52993ebe1a5b2630303740cc3533cb09.jpg

• Thanks 1

Good guide, I probably will do it myself one day, because I find Auto lights annoying... I just want them to be on all the time when the engine is running.

As well EU cars have that by default e.g. if you have Lexus IS250 in EU (not sure if it was from beginning, but I had 2012 and 2010 cars and both had it), then "Auto" lights work completely differently. In UK "Auto" works by detecting light, so they come on in the dark or in tunnel, in EU "Auto" simply turns on the lights when yous turn the car and when you switch the engine off the lights automatically go off and you don't get annoying beeping that you get in UK cars.

I guess this is because in most EU countries it is mandatory to drive with the lights 24/7 (which is amazing and much better for everyone), whereas in UK people still drive without lights on, or drive with day running lights at night. 

The only bad thing about always-on lights is the price of the replacement bulbs! Worth considering as D4S are not cheap! (I now only buy Philips or Osram after too many bad experiences with cheap no brand bulbs)

4 hours ago, AFlex said:

The only bad thing about always-on lights is the price of the replacement bulbs! Worth considering as D4S are not cheap! (I now only buy Philips or Osram after too many bad experiences with cheap no brand bulbs)

Still better than being invisible in traffic... and secondly Xenons wear from on and off cycles, not from how long they are on (there is no filament, it is electric arc). So I reckon with always on option your Xenons would last longer. That said new Osram/Philips D4S always lasted my like 8 years (after that they kind of go pink and start flickering) and I always drive with lights on. So for £60-80 per pair and 8 years, that isn't really an issue in my view.

• Like 1

Personally speaking the thought of these day driving lights is stupid and irresponsible. These new cars with these super bright LED type headlights are not only dazzling but blinding also. But the same can be said for Xenon and upgraded Halogen. 

I drive professionally in both night time going into daytime. By virtue of this I see just about everything there is to see and of late my biggest pet hate is headlights on in daylight. 

So a thought is to be seen eh? If you're not seen then it's not down to not having lights on but because those vehicle operatives are either myopic or on a different planet or doing something they're not supposed to. If those operators around you were actually paying due care and attention then all would be good. 

Having daytime headlights on can cause more harm than do good.

The vehicles with day driving lights which in my mind are ok are those with those lights below the headlights that do not project a piercing beam of light.

• Like 3

Having lived in the country where it is mandatory and in UK I disagree with you. Not only it isn't stupid, but it is the most responsive way to drive.

The more visible you are on the road the better, don't confuse it with fake xenons that are not adjusted properly (or don't have right projectors) or simply misaligned lights that dazzles oncoming cars. Sure those are issues, but properly working lights shouldn't dazzle anyway, so your argument is just unfounded. 

Now it may be my issue, because I have lived and learned to drive elsewhere, but for me lights being ON makes HUGE difference. Simply said if car does not have lights on, then it isn't driving/moving. Apart of just convenience for all road users around you there are many occasions where they help in poor visibility (and we have plenty of that in UK even in day time).

EU wouldn't have adopted this approach if it wouldn't be beneficial... if memory serves the time required to notice the car with headlights ON was 60% shorter in good conditions and 80% shorter in adverse conditions, as well the distance at which the car is notices increased by 30%. As well they found that other road users, particularly pedestrians were much more accurate predicting speed of oncoming vehicles when the lights were on. So this is not only for other drivers, and let's just face it - pedestrians do not pay attention anyway, so every little helps. I rather have lights ON than have to beep at idiots that steps right in front of the car. 

Now I personally consider myself "good driver" and I concentrate to driving when I am driving, but on many occasions on gloomy day, morning or dusk I just didn't see the oncoming car, because obviously they were driving without lights and it was like grey or muddy green colour car which just blends in with the surroundings. It wasn't anything dangerous as I have noticed them in the end, but it was "ohh ****, where did they came from?!" moment. Again it may be my driver training and experience where I expect ANY car on the road to always have lights ON, but it just goes to show that lights help for cars being more noticeable and it is nothing more but laziness not having them on. Most European countries did right thing and made them mandatory 24/7, but obviously retarded UK can't expect drivers to be able to turn on headlights, so instead they relied on DLRs to be introduced. 

Finally, having the law to always drive with the lights removes ambiguity and sets good habit of turning them on as soon as you turn the engine (in case your car doesn't have "auto" lights). Because in UK I see people driving at night without lights or just with DLR... simply because it is kind of ambiguous of when they need to be turned on and people simply forget. I know that in driver training they say "when the street lights come on", the HC says "when visibility is seriously reduced", but both are poor measures... street lights may not come on until it is way too dark on winter days, or generally in gloomy and rainy days and "seriously reduced visibility" again could be interpreted... they say that definition is "when visibility is less than 100m"... well OK... what exactly is visibility? If I can still shadows of cars an people is that still "visible", how clear the objects should be to be considered visible? What if they visible at 120m and not 100m? Could I still drive without lights? And again even when visibility is clearly bad, people still drive without lights. I have seen people driving on motorway at 2AM without lights! So again - much simpler and safer is to have them always ON, so nobody needs to interpret anything.

Needless to say I will continue driving with my headlights always ON and if it would be down to me I would make it mandatory for everyone.

• Like 2

The problem as I see it is one of 'standing out' so that people know you're there.

When no one at all had to use headlights during the day or DRLs, no one stood out. Then came a law to say motorcycles must use them "to stand out". Now, if everyone is using them these days, no one stands out anymore - except for the ones that don't have any lights on :wallbash:

• Haha 1

Hi I don't wish to be too controversial on this matter ,most people have  their own views and feel lights do help .I have spent over 50 years driving cars and riding motor cycles including training motor cyclists ,the only factual figures I have seen was when trials were made in the states on motor cycles some years ago ,when in a few states the accident rate went up reason ?  the riders were lulled into a false sense of security assuming their lights would be seen. Have your lights on if you wish but to stay safe remember you can be lit up like a Xmas tree but if the other driver is not looking  YOU WILL NOT BE SEEN 

Stay safe Dave

• Like 2

I don't agree with headlights on at all times. Therefore AUTO works quite well on this car, in this country imo. However, I do agree with the visibility argument, but that's exactly why cars have DRLs... like Vlands or 2012-2013 IS250 headlights. I don't think there's any need for normal beams to be on when you can just use DRLs as intended especially during summer months when we have daylight until 10pm... I also agree with Vladimir, Nissan Quashqais are especially bad for this, the headlights are so bright and in your face that it's annoying, it's also quite distracting driving in front of one because the headlights almost change colour (blue to purple) in different angles and you keep seeing it in the rear view mirror. 

• Like 1

VLANDs are more for style, they don't really improve visibility for neither party as they are quite dim as far as DLRs goes, but better than nothing I guess. As far as actual headlights they are better than Halogens, but worse than Xenons.

Now just to be clear - I don't have issues with DLRs, especially for cars which came with DLRs from factory. I had RC and I only used DLRs during the day. I have issue with people who continue driving with DLRs at night, which is sadly common, I have even seen Police doing it. I assume they just forget to turn the lights on and perhaps in the front it is alright, but let's not forget that when you have only DLRs ON, the taillights are OFF.

But for cars that don't have DLRs I believe having headlights on should be mandatory - in short, you either have DLRs or you have to have headlights ON. That is how it is implemented in countries where it is mandatory, whereas in UK it is weird - if you don't have DLRs then you don't need to do anything... just drive without anything.

And also one correction on what I said. So basically in EU they have decided in 2005 to make headlights mandatory by 2008 and DLRs by 2011, so the cars from ~2008 started this "auto ON" feature (I believe Lexus IS250 had it from 2006 to 2010) and then from 2011 facelifted IS250 came with DLR + "auto" lights based on ambient light (same as UK). So not all European Lexus have "auto ON", but only those that came before 2011 and didn't have DLRs. 

6 minutes ago, Linas.P said:
  1. VLANDs are more for style, they don't really improve visibility for neither party as they are quite dim as far as DLRs goes, but better than nothing I guess. As far as actual headlights they are better than Halogens, but worse than Xenons.
  2. Now just to be clear - I don't have issues with DLRs, especially for cars which came with DLRs from factory. I had RC and I only used DLRs during the day. I have issue with people who continue driving with DLRs at night, which is sadly common, I have even seen Police doing it. I assume they just forget to turn the lights on and perhaps in the front it is alright, but let's not forget that when you have only DLRs ON, the taillights are OFF.
  3. But for cars that don't have DLRs I believe having headlights on should be mandatory - in short, you either have DLRs or you have to have headlights ON. That is how it is implemented in countries where it is mandatory, whereas in UK it is weird - if you don't have DLRs then you don't need to do anything... just drive without anything.
  4. And also one correction on what I said. So basically in EU they have decided in 2005 to make headlights mandatory by 2008 and DLRs by 2011, so the cars from ~2008 started this "auto ON" feature (I believe Lexus IS250 had it from 2006 to 2010) and then from 2011 facelifted IS250 came with DLR + "auto" lights based on ambient light (same as UK). So not all European Lexus have "auto ON", but only those that came before 2011 and didn't have DLRs. 

1. I disagree. People say there are two types.. like some Chinese knock off Vland and actual good quality Chinese Vlands 😂 I'm not sure how true this is, but my old IS250 didn't have xenons. Vlands made a huge difference in light output. Now my current one has Xenons and I can honestly say the light output is worse than on my old car with Vlands. I don't know, maybe it's because the bulbs are sh*t, but in my experience, the Vlands are better than both types of stock headlights I've had.
  2. This is the reason why they should stay on AUTO. I don't see why someone (especially someone with DRLs) would go out of their way to take it off Auto setting...
  3. Alright, that's fair enough. I don't think there's any need during summer months, but I accept it.
  4. I see.. law is law 

• Like 1

The VLANDs I had were worse than Xenons, but I know that Lexus Halogens are horrible and barely illuminates anything at night, where my VLANDs fake fake or just fake... I don't know 😄 

I never said people who have DLRs should switch off the auto, but the OP guide is for people who don't have DLRs, so I still think it is useful thing to do. The no lights problem should be addressed somehow, and not just by expecting people to eventually upgrade to 2011+ cars.

I'm not against having headlights on during the day. In fact, I will typically do this on a daily basis when working (as a driver).

It's dark at the start of my shift, so headlights are required and I'll invariably just leave them on all night until I return to base.

Overall, as long as they're properly aimed and aligned, I find other drivers having headlights on more helpful than a hindrance. The only real nitpick I have is that it can be more difficult to spot whether someone is indicating or not, since the turn signal is located inside the headlight casing on most vehicles these days.

DRLs are all well and good, but as mentioned earlier, they're only on the front. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen idiots driving in really bad conditions, or in complete darkness with no lights on. Doubly idiotic when they're in a black/gray/silver car that renders them almost invisible.

• Like 5

Blimey Linas youdont half go round in circles sometimes. You totally missed the meanings within my previous post. 

Having headlights on in daylight is absolutely absurd. The only headlights to be on in daylight are very poor light emitting halogen types. Xenon and LED types absolutely Not. They do Not give a pedestrian a better idea how far a car is, it more likely confuses them as the dazzle is off putting. 

DRL's are excellent in daylight.

Headlights Should be switched on as soon as the daylight has dimmed or its overcast or cloudy.

Yes DRL's are unfortunately only on the front of cars. I see daily car operators in the evening with just the DRL's on and no other lights. I take pleasure in flashing them and sounding my horn. If I pass them, which more often than not I do, I'll flicker my rear fog lights. I've even shouted at the dingbats to switch your lights on.

As mentioned cars of late have the indicators within the headlight unit. More often than not that signal can not be seen in daylight when headlights are on.

Another pet hate is dingbats who have their rear high intensity lights on when it's not foggy. But that's something else.

If anyone wants to have their headlights on in daylight and an incident is caused because of dazzlement then they're in deep pooh.

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

You totally missed the meanings within my previous post. Having headlights on in daylight is absolutely absurd. The only headlights to be on in daylight are very poor light emitting halogen types. Xenon and LED types absolutely Not. They do Not give a pedestrian a better idea how far a car is, it more likely confuses them as the dazzle is off putting. 

DRL's are excellent in daylight.

Please clarify what exact point I have missed? No - having headlights ON is not absurd, in fact it is legal requirement in majority of NORMAL countries. 

Again you opinion that it dazzles somebody or confuses somebody... is just that - an opinion. As I said the decision to introduce this law was based on the studies and even if my percentages (from my memory) are off a little bit, the end result is still the same - there was significant improvement noticing the cars with lights ON for all road users.

As I said - if headlights dazzles you, then it is not because they are ON, but because they are faulty in some way. As well, thinking about it - I have never ever been dazzled by other cars headlights in daytime, not even high-beam, in the evening or night time... sure every other car on UK roads illuminates the sky and it is honestly horrible. As well I agree that many new LED lights are so uber bright that even when aligned correctly they still dazzle at night. Well I guess it is incorrect to say they dazzle, but they are so bright that they illuminate too much, come at them in the slightly wrong angle and you have permanent hole in your retina. But that is completely different topic from driving with lights in the day time.

Yes DLRs are great for daytime, but not all the cars have them, so the only solution is to drive with headlights ON and that is most responsible way to make yourself visible for other road users. It is just given that your lights should as well be correctly adjusted. So I think again you conflate separate things here - headlights ON is good, headlights not adjusted is bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yes DLRs are great for daytime, but not all the cars have them, so the only solution is to drive with headlights ON and that is most responsible way to make yourself visible for other road users.

The Lexus is the first car I’ve had with DLRs, so I still maintain my habit of many decades of driving in daylight with dipped beams.  Mind you, I started this in the days when many drivers made do with sidelights - or parking lights as they were more accurately described!

I recall an advertising campaign that tried to demonstrate how much more visible cars with dipped beam were in daylight.  At the time much was made of the fact that this was common practice in Stockholm but rare in Glasgow -  despite both cities being on the same latitude!

Frankly, anything I can do to help make me more visible to a fellow motorist driving towards me, sounds like a good plan to me.

• Thanks 1

Lights ON - Very welcome when attempting to join the Westbound A720 Edinburgh City Bypass in early morning traffic.

The sun is directly behind with an uninterrupted view for miles and you can barely see anything in your mirrors. Cars with their headlights on are significantly easier to spot in the glare.

I'm sure there are many other east-to-west facing roads in the UK, where this scenario plays out.

• Like 2

In nice sunny day they are rarely useful, but certainly doesn't hurt and as you said there are various situation where it does help even if just a little bit. However, all sorts of shifting conditions is where having lights ON really helps - cloudy overcast days, showers or rain, early mornings, light fog, dusk, especially in winter when the sun is low and even during the day it is not too bright. As well there are all sorts of obstacles, bushes, parked cars etc and sometimes I don't even see the car, but I can see headlight reflection of the other parked car and right away I know somebody is coming. 

In summary - anything that could make the car more visible is always better, especially if car is in greyish colour which doesn't stand out. Same could be said about putting on hazard lights when slowing down to stand still on motorway - strictly speaking unnecessary, because "if people were paying attention" they should have seen queue forming, but I rather put on my hazards than have somebody smashing into my car at 70MPH. I am sure people still smash anyways, but if there is way to reduce that risk then why not use it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Linas.P said:

anything that could make the car more visible is always better, especially if car is in greyish colour which doesn't stand out

Problem solved 🤣

29664979_1152851644855194_6476773448098604084_o.jpg

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, H3XME said:

Problem solved 🤣

29664979_1152851644855194_6476773448098604084_o.jpg

Yeah - that will do... Is that what you planning to do with yours? 😄 

Interestingly, going back to same research, the most visible colour is yellow (I assume gold counts as well), then red, then black, then white, but all the brownish, greyish, blueish and greenish colours are much harder to spot. I don't remember where orange is, but I assume somewhere in between yellow and red.

6 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Yeah - that will do... Is that what you planning to do with yours? 😄 

Interestingly, going back to same research, the most visible colour is yellow (I assume gold counts as well), then red, then black, then white, but all the brownish, greyish, blueish and greenish colours are much harder to spot. I don't remember where orange is, but I assume somewhere in between yellow and red.

Last time I checked I pay taxes so no 🤣

but your one has perfectly invisible colour, so what are the solutions? 

Although, I haven't seen your VLANDs... if memory serves DLRs on them are semi-decent. Not like Lexus MK2, but better than many cars from factory. 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

but your one has perfectly invisible colour, so what are the solutions?

I have no solutions because I have no problems. It’s other people’s problem they can’t see me🤣

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links