Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres / Lexus UX Electric Takumi , worn

Hi, I’ve a 2021 Lexus UX Electric Takumi, I bought this car brand new, I do local short distance driving, but I certainly don’t drive fast, I noticed yesterday that my tyres will need renewing shortly, their both down to 2.5 MM on the front , I can’t believe I’ve only got 13,250 miles on, the current ones are MICHELLIN, shall I switch to another Brand , and have other people got excessive tyre wear on the Electric UX ??

Great car, poor range, heated seats poor, I find it a Difficult car to hand wash, and limited colour choice, would I buy another one ??? Not unless the range improves , and the charging network also needs to improve …..Rapidly.

• Like 1

I agree that seems premature, and Michelin tyres are normally good for longevity. Is this even wear right across the tyre or has wheel alignment maybe contributed to more localised wear?

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Lexus said:

Not unless the range improves

The new UX 300e has a 35% larger Battery for better range, although the efficiency still isn't on a level with Kia, Hyundai, Tesla etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yorkshire Lexus said:

Hi, I’ve a 2021 Lexus UX Electric Takumi, I bought this car brand new, I do local short distance driving, but I certainly don’t drive fast, I noticed yesterday that my tyres will need renewing shortly, their both down to 2.5 MM on the front , I can’t believe I’ve only got 13,250 miles on, the current ones are MICHELLIN, shall I switch to another Brand , and have other people got excessive tyre wear on the Electric UX ??

Great car, poor range, heated seats poor, I find it a Difficult car to hand wash, and limited colour choice, would I buy another one ??? Not unless the range improves , and the charging network also needs to improve …..Rapidly.

Its all the torque going through the front wheels so sounds reasonable I think. 

Why is it difficult to hand wash? Its a very small car. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE : My Local ATS Tyre Centre have sent my Michelin tyres back to Michelin for inspection.

They quoted £190 each for replacement Michelin , obviously I declined as they only lasted 15,000 miles.

im trying a budget tyre at £72 each, they must do circa 12,000 miles and the ratings where surprisingly good.

I Link tyres !

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Lexus said:

UPDATE : My Local ATS Tyre Centre have sent my Michelin tyres back to Michelin for inspection.

They quoted £190 each for replacement Michelin , obviously I declined as they only lasted 15,000 miles.

im trying a budget tyre at £72 each, they must do circa 12,000 miles and the ratings where surprisingly good.

I Link tyres !

Keep us informed how you find them against the Michelin.

I have just picked up a 22 plate UX300e. It has 13000 miles on.

The rear tyres are Michelin Primacy 3 225/50/r18 (not run flat) and seem to be the original tyres. I have not measured the tread depth but they seem okay. The fronts look as though they have been replaced as they are Michelin Primacy 3 225/50/r18 ZP. Which I believe are run flats. I have the tyre goo in the boot, but no jack

What were the original tyres from the factory, normal or run flat?  The manual does not specify that run flat must be fitted.

Thanks

Paul 

4 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

What were the original tyres from the factory, normal or run flat?  The manual does not specify that run flat must be fitted.

Thanks

Paul 

Lexus doesn't fit run flats on the 300e electric UX. They're only fitted on the 250h with 18" wheels. Not sure why but guess it might be something to do with the extra weight of the 300e or extra torque or the noise of runflats might be less acceptable in the electric model.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Roger Bill said:

Lexus doesn't fit run flats on the 300e electric UX. They're only fitted on the 250h with 18" wheels. Not sure why but guess it might be something to do with the extra weight of the 300e or extra torque or the noise of runflats might be less acceptable in the electric model.

Thanks for clarifying. I think what has happened to mine then is that the originals are still on the back (not run flat) and they have put new tyres on the front as and when they have worn out or got a puncture and replaced with Run Flats not realising the UX330e is different from the UX250h. I will revert back to non run flat when the fronts wear out. Which will be a relief as I was not looking forward to having run flats and having to replace them at each nail pick up.

8 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

The manual does not specify that run flat must be fitted.

Nor should it - that is totally down to the owner on what type of tyres they use (standard, seal, runflat etc.), so long as they meet the specified load and speed indexes for which the vehicle has been certified.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE : Tyres MICHELLIN 

ATS sent my tyres back to MICHELLIN Customer Care for inspection.

Guy at ATS said I was wasting my time, I also bought 2 New front tyres from ATS Budget ones might I ad, £72 each.

Michellin Customer Services rang me and they where very professional and efficient.

OUTCOME : 2 Brand New MICHELLIN tyres FREE ! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Lexus said:

Guy at ATS said I was wasting my time, I also bought 2 New front tyres from ATS Budget ones might I ad, £72 each.

Michellin Customer Services rang me and they where very professional and efficient.

Good news that Michelin have upheld their reputation.  What on earth were you thinking about buying £72 tyres for a Lexus.  You could have had four new Michelin tyres and returned some loyalty.   

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 9:19 AM, Yorkshire Lexus said:

Excellent news, Ian!

This does suggest that Michelin has accepted some responsibility for this excessive wear rate.  However, I don’t think you answered Colin Barber’s original question about the nature of the wear across the tread.

Is it possible that it was exacerbated by some degree of misalignment?  Has the ATS branch checked this out?  If it’s a contributory factor then history will just repeat itself!

Ultimately you might be better off taking it back to the Lexus Dealer from whom you bought it as it is surely still under Warranty.  Get them to check tracking and alignment.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LenT said:

Excellent news, Ian!

This does suggest that Michelin has accepted some responsibility for this excessive wear rate.  However, I don’t think you answered Colin Barber’s original question about the nature of the wear across the tread.

Is it possible that it was exacerbated by some degree of misalignment?  Has the ATS branch checked this out?  If it’s a contributory factor then history will just repeat itself!

Ultimately you might be better off taking it back to the Lexus Dealer from whom you bought it as it is surely still under Warranty.  Get them to check tracking and alignment.

I doubt Michelin would honour the warranty - they know if a tyre has been subjected to misalignment.   The story doesn’t add up because he claims there was no choice but fit budget tyres when there is any amount of “decent” brands available.  There might not have been at that moment but you only need to wait until the following day.  So what next?   The cheap tyres were discarded after refitting the Michies?   

1 hour ago, Don C said:

I doubt Michelin would honour the warranty - they know if a tyre has been subjected to misalignment.   The story doesn’t add up because he claims there was no choice but fit budget tyres when there is any amount of “decent” brands available.  There might not have been at that moment but you only need to wait until the following day.  So what next?   The cheap tyres were discarded after refitting the Michies?   

I agree with you Don that there’s more to this account that has yet to be revealed!

I have had occasion to deal with Michelin UK, and excellent though they are I don’t think they lob out free tyres at a whim.

It’s possible that there was a conversation between them and ATS that might shed more light.

As for Ian putting on the cheap tyres, I can imagine that he felt trapped between rock/hard place and at least was able to drive off for minimal expense.

To be continued perhaps?

• Like 1

Update : This in NOT a story

its factual !

Lexus checked the Alignment etc months ago and confirmed all is fine, The Local Lexus Dealer then re directed me back to MICHELLIN  reference the excessive tyre wear, MICHELLIN then sent me to the Local ATS Branch,who confirmed the wear was unusual with 15;000 miles on and excessive, but they also said I had little chance of getting anywhere ….all simple and transparent……

I've bitten the bullet and at 14k I'm changing the Bridgestone tyres to Hancooks. Recommended as the quietest I can get by Lexus Leicester. Still lots of tread on the Turanza's but they rumble. They put me off Michelin's a little as they appear to have a short life. Anyone need to partially worn Turanza's shout up? Being fitted on September 8th in Leicester.

My UX is currently on the Mediterranean Sea but when it comes, first stop on the way home is for Goodyear all season tyres ordered from Halfords (on offer).  The UX is E4 and I consider the tyres necessary having to leave home in the Peak District at all hours.   I don’t do huge mileage so life probably won’t be an issue.  I spent 17 years in brake development and our view was that braking requirements had overtaken pad life so we tended not to get emotive about it.  There was a time we expected 50k from a set of Michelin X but if they (modern tyres) keep us planted on the road I’ll settle for a lot less.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lmafudd said:

I've bitten the bullet and at 14k I'm changing the Bridgestone tyres to Hancooks. Recommended as the quietest I can get by Lexus Leicester. Still lots of tread on the Turanza's but they rumble. They put me off Michelin's a little as they appear to have a short life. Anyone need to partially worn Turanza's shout up? Being fitted on September 8th in Leicester.

When I say 'to' I clearly mean 'two'. Apologies, getting sloppy since retirement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, wee bit of a faux pas at my local dealer and they ordered more Bridgestone instead of the Hancooks as requested and discussed. They now suggest that I actually change to a non run-flat tyre with a can of 'Puncture Juice' if I want optimum comfort and quietness. I am subsequently cogitating!

21 hours ago, Lmafudd said:

Okay, wee bit of a faux pas at my local dealer and they ordered more Bridgestone instead of the Hancooks as requested and discussed. They now suggest that I actually change to a non run-flat tyre with a can of 'Puncture Juice' if I want optimum comfort and quietness. I am subsequently cogitating!

They are right.  Conventional tyres are quieter and being much lighter improves the unsprung weight and therefore the handling is improved.   I’ve got Goodyear Cross Climates ordered for mine which is still on the ship so the first stop from the dealer after collection.  They both are rated at 70 Db but those are drive by noise levels, not interior so I’m expecting an improvement on top of all weather capabilities.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links