Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does it make sense?

b4u2

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305247728597?atmobcid=soc3

https://listers.co.uk/used/stock/lexus/rx/400h_3.3_se/382484

Hi folks,

I wanted your opinion on these cars for sale as personally I thought they are both overpriced. Yes I know main dealers charge more but they are old cars.

love the colour of the Ls600 but oh dear, why can't potential buyers search the MOTs stuff I wonder .  and there's zero mention of Full Lexus Service History etc

The blue one looks very ordinary tbh  🙃

Malc

If it was my own choice between the pair, I'd go for the LS. I do like the RX, but it's black - and having had black in the past I know just how much they take to keep clean (and I'm a really fussy so and so when it comes to car cleanliness).

Both are overpriced though, I agree. The LS may be nicely specced and low mileage for it's age, but there's no way that can be still worth £19k, surely?! I'm quite shocked by that, to be honest. I thought around the £11-12k mark would have bought anyone a really nice example around that age, but the used market is very much 'broken' at the moment with high prices.

Probably the pair of cars that are worst models to buy from the dealer. LS600h you really need to buy privately to get it for decent price. RX400h again - very very old car to be in the dealer, so it is listed for absolutely criminal price. I am actually surprised it is even listed, dealers usually do not touch anything older than 10 years old. As well LS is bog standard, no options. Sure they were well equipped even as base models, but this one seems the cheapest version of LS600h and was run on the budget... like budget tyres on car of such calibre is always bad sign. As well what happened to the wheels, all paint looks dull and smudged over with rag from the floor?! I just can't see how dealership could expect to get £19,000 for anything in such condition. 

I would say closer to £5,000-£6,000 for RX and maybe £9,000-£11,000 for LS, but only after it is detailed, wheels refurbished and tyres replaced... and that is just on the surface.

Finally - why such selection of the cars? Or you just found examples of what looks overpriced for age/condition? In which case - yes they are!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, b4u2 said:

has dropped on the ls

how do they get to a dopey price of £18,813 for heavens sake 🤑

Malc

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 8:47 PM, b4u2 said:

https://listers.co.uk/used/stock/lexus/rx/400h_3.3_se/382484

Hi folks,

I wanted your opinion on these cars for sale as personally I thought they are both overpriced. Yes I know main dealers charge more but they are old cars.

That's an extraordinary price on the 400h ... at least £4k over the top.  The prime consideration must be the low mileage, at just the time for replacement cambelt & water pump, but the interior's not much to shout about.  In need of a good clean and thorough detail ... but that's for another thread. 😊

Sheer devilment, you test the water, see if anyone is daft enough to pay the price before dropping it. Slightly off topic but l have a friend who is an artist, when he does an exhibition he needs to sell his paintings for between £90 -£120 to make a living. However for devilment he always prices one of them for £750, more often than not that one sells first as people think it must be better than the others.

38 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Slightly off topic but l have a friend who is an artist, when he does an exhibition he needs to sell his paintings for between £90 -£120 to make a living. However for devilment he always prices one of them for £750, more often than not that one sells first as people think it must be better than the others.

You sell at what the market will bear not what it costs to make, and especially with something subjective as art. However, a used car is a commodity so you wouldn't expect to be able to sell it for more than all the others. But it's buyer beware - do your research to understand fair value, don't assume a car dealer is doing the right thing by you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

You sell at what the market will bear not what it costs to make, and especially with something subjective as art. However, a used car is a commodity so you wouldn't expect to be able to sell it for more than all the others. But it's buyer beware - do your research to understand fair value, don't assume a car dealer is doing the right thing by you.

... because, sadly, the strongest likelihood is ... that he's NOT!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sundance said:
11 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

don't assume a car dealer is doing the right thing by you.

... because, sadly, the strongest likelihood is ... that he's NOT!

simply from the perspective of me, an erstwhile car dealer and Trader ...........  many years past ......  

I found it often challenging to understand why somebody would want to p/ex their quite good car for one even better from my forecourt

Reality was often that the car from the Client had some issues that they were often just trying to hide , to hoodwink me, the car Sales Professional ....... this rarely worked and we ended having an ok deal ..  NOW, when the Client p/ex car was a heap of turd, as happens, then it goes straight into the auction ........  so buy there at your peril I would say 

All other cars we sometimes just traded out .  to another dealer / trader, and others we just serviced, sorted out the niggles, fresh MOT and on-sold to another Client, maybe another p/ex again, the merry merry go-round continues

BUT we always had to make a sensible profit on each and every deal  ...........  it's called business

Car Dealers these days just have to sell " proper " cars otherwise Trading Standards and all else comes down like a ton of bricks 

It's never " buyer beware " with car sales from a Dealer ..  it's not allowed by Law

Malc

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

It's never " buyer beware " with car sales from a Dealer ..  it's not allowed by Law

My comment was related to assuming you are being asked to pay fair value rather than the roadworthiness of the vehicle.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links