Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Choppy ride on RX450h

Would be interested on views on ride quality on RX450h.

I have recently bought a 2015 model with 58k on the clock. Full regular service history from Lexus last one in April with MOT so presumably in good condition.

I’m very disappointed with the quality of the ride, finding it very choppy,bouncy and generally uncomfortable. Also a lot of road noise at speed.

It is shod with Dunlop tyres at 33psi on 19” wheels with air suspension.

Am I expecting too much from a heavy SUV?  ( I am used to driving older Jaguars but even my wife’s Qashqai copes much better with our poor road surfaces)

Are there any better tyres?     Would changing to 18” wheels make much difference? If so are they a direct swop?

Thanks in advance for comments and any advice.

PS I love almost everything else about the car, would just like to improve the ride comfort.

When I bought our 2014 RX450 F-Sport (springs - not air suspension) I expected an harsher ride. It too had Dunlops 19", (only a year old).    Replaced the Dunlops with Michelin Cross Climate - - - much better ride. Quieter. more forgiving and definitely more comfortable.

Other LOC members also have good things to say about Continental tyres.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jagman said:

Would be interested on views on ride quality on RX450h.

I have recently bought a 2015 model with 58k on the clock. Full regular service history from Lexus last one in April with MOT so presumably in good condition.

I’m very disappointed with the quality of the ride, finding it very choppy,bouncy and generally uncomfortable. Also a lot of road noise at speed.

It is shod with Dunlop tyres at 33psi on 19” wheels with air suspension.

Am I expecting too much from a heavy SUV?  ( I am used to driving older Jaguars but even my wife’s Qashqai copes much better with our poor road surfaces)

Are there any better tyres?     Would changing to 18” wheels make much difference? If so are they a direct swop?

Thanks in advance for comments and any advice.

PS I love almost everything else about the car, would just like to improve the ride comfort.

Evening

Like you I have a low mileage 2015 but non air and the ride on smooth tarmac is superb. 

Choppy & bouncy as you say would indicate worn out suspension parts, as you have just bought it I would be complaining to the dealer (?)

On 7/6/2023 at 11:18 PM, VFR said:

Like you I have a low mileage 2015 but non air and the ride on smooth tarmac is superb.

Yes. I agree mine rides superbly on smooth tarmac roads, but its the neglected poorly repaired roads that abound everywhere now where I feel the ride leaves a lot to be desired and is not as good as ‘lesser’ cars.

2 hours ago, Jagman said:

Yes. I agree mine rides superbly on smooth tarmac roads, but its the neglected poorly repaired roads that abound everywhere now where I feel the ride leaves a lot to be desired and is not as good as ‘lesser’ cars.

I would say my non-air Luxury model suffers similarly on roads as you describe. It's a tall, heavy car and I presume they gave it fairly firm suspension to limit body roll.

I can drive on similar roads in my 1992 LS400 and the ride on that is in a different league. Even the 1999 Avensis with 277k miles that I occasionally drive is better.

When I changed to a full set of Continental all-seasons from an aged mix of Dunlops and Michelins the ride got a bit better, but I'd say it's still the thing that's least like a luxury car about it.

That being said, it's other qualities of smoothness and refinement are why I still enjoy it after 4+ years, and I have no plans to change it for at least as long again.

• Like 2

I also have a 2015 3rd generation RX 450,  I replaced the Dunlops with Cross Climates which improved things in several ways including ride but have to say still not good on poorly maintained roads,  My daughter's Sorento is better in this respect but inferior in almost all other ways.

I was unlucky with mine in that the 2 front struts needed replacement at around 40K miles,  There was knocking from front and excessive movement.  Some people do  200-300k miles before this is necessary, so perhaps I was unlucky.  Several posters have needed to replace the front top mounts, so you could check these.

• Like 2

My 2010 RX450H spring suspension 450h (owned for three years of so)  is the same. Great on flat roads, poor on bumpy roads.

I replaced front and rear shocks, but made limited difference. I also fitted rubber spring assistors in the rear springs, this made a modest difference I think.

Tyres Michelin Cross Climates are good.

might try getting some rubber suspension bushes replaced as they have been identified as ageing, but not in need of immediate replacement

I'm going to stick with the car for the next couple of years as it is generally very good and the benefits outweigh the negatives for me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, taffie999 said:

I am thinking about buying an rx450h  and ride comfort is a priority for me. Are cars with air suspension hard to find. Are they a big improvement?

It depends on age. This thread is discussing the series III (2009-2015) where it was available on some higher end grades, whereas the series IV (2016-2022) doesn’t have the option - although some grades have an adaptive more traditional suspension. 

• Like 1

I’m getting used to the ride now having had the car for a couple of months.

It may be imaginary but seems a little better when adjusted to the lower setting.

Probably I’m expecting too much from a heavy SUV having spent many years driving luxury saloons albeit oldish ones!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

'Stiffness' 'choppy ride' depends on your personal perspective doesn't it.

My history is STIFF German sports cars.

The RX is a marshmallow riding on soft duck feather pillows and fluffy clouds after those 😊

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YvesD said:

'Stiffness' 'choppy ride' depends on your personal perspective doesn't it.

My history is STIFF German sports cars.

The RX is a marshmallow riding on soft duck feather pillows and fluffy clouds after those 😊

On a positive note, i actually find increasing the tyre pressures helps most of the time.

The 2.3 bar stock setting is way too soft in my opinion. 

Try midway between min and max which is 2.65 bar all round and see how you like that.

Something else to try is have the rears set a bit stiffer so that the front feels relatively comfortable when you hit the bump then you get better rebound control (just) with a stiffer rear.

Im on holiday towing our caravan at the moment and have the front set at 2.8 bar. Rear 3.0 bar cold.

Rides nicely solo and and helps when you want to fend off that muppet in the 2 litre diesel whatever coming off traffic islands 🤣

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links