Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lotus evora 400

Anyone has personal experience of ownership? Tempted to ditch my f for one. 

any one who will persuade me into one or against one are very welcomed.

barry

A friend of mine has one in the States and loves it. Took me out in it last year and it stuck to the road like anything. It’s a proper drivers car and great fun. Obviously complete different end of the spectrum from the F re comfort, but agility and handling, beats the F!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cactus said:

Anyone has personal experience of ownership? Tempted to ditch my f for one. 

any one who will persuade me into one or against one are very welcomed.

barry

As mentioned, totally different cars!  Suppose it depends what you are after…

The track spec thing doesn’t appeal to me much anymore but I use my car as a daily driver!  If it’s just a toy then suppose it makes sense.  I’d be reluctant to get rid of the engine, would miss the V8 too much, think I’ll always have one now.  I’m at the point when I’m considering getting a comfy daily and using the RCF as a second car and the only thing I’d contemplate swapping it for is an LC500 convertible and even then, not entirely sure yet….

• Like 1

I've been a long term Lotus owner and have had a Lotus on and off since my first a Europa in 1974.

Lotus always has, and still have real quality control issues although these days they are a lot better, when I first got my V8 Esprit a fellow owner showed me his example where it had come out of the factory with the speedo about 30 degrees out of line.

Anyway the Evora 400 series are really good cars  and the facelift models like the 400 look better than most cars on the road. The Evora manages a very comfortable ride with superb roadholding once on the move.

A fellow Lotus Anorak has a 400 really likes it, the 430's are a bit more aggressive in the ride due to stiffer suspension so the 400 would be my choice.

When one of our Lotus Anoraks brought an Evora he was trying out (when Snows (Lexus) at Hedge End had a Lotus dealership) to our monthly Hampshire meeting we found the little reflectors had fallen off the rear side and bits of trim a bit loose. And we all shook our heads and said no surprise then. Although we have all had Lotus cars for a long time we're not blinkered fan boys like some in the Lotus world.

But on a twisty A road you forgot all about such things.

A short time ago I sold my very large guitar collection and went and tried a McLaren 720 S fabulous car but I didn't buy it but after I decided if I were to ever buy another car regardless of budget I'd by an Evora 400.

@B1RMA thank you for your insight. Yea my concern is reliability and quality too. I think the engine side of thing should be ok, since it is a toyota camry engine. I guess is whether the niggles from electronics and panels will drive me mad.

@Jgtcracer yea i totally understand. I will struggle to part with my F too, the v8 noise, the uniqueness. May be I am in my cycle of wanting to change, try something different as i have had my f for 4 years now. 

If you're looking at the Evora give an Alpine A110 a go as well. That car really impressed me. Make sure you try one with the sport exhaust as it gets not just an exhaust valve, but more importantly a sound tube for more induction noise. The GT was my fave.

I can't comment too much on the Evora as I haven't driven one, but I have no doubt it's the more raw and exciting car to drive. It depends if that's what you're after and whether you're willing to subject yourself to the ownership experience which seems to range from "not the best" all the way to "downright awful".

• Like 1

@Rob RCF yea alpine is great. That would have been one of my choice if i dont have two dinosaurs. Since i have posted, i am put off into evora’s ownership as well from reading reviews etc. 

o well… will see. 

@Bluethunder qc issue/the niggles, body panel, electronics, interior rattles, seal water leak. It depends on your personality, those niggles will make me depressed and defeat the purpose of a weekend car. 

+the ballache and time wastage into speaking to the dealer arranging the diagnostic, repair, collection, transport to and from etc.  

• Thanks 1

Yeah unfortunately I think the little niggles are just a part of Lotus ownership. The drivetrain is Toyota so it's pretty much bulletproof and very unlikely to have an issue that means you can't drive it, but you have to be willing to either fix little issues yourself or accept that they're part of the "experience".

• Like 1

@James605agree totally. Would be happy to take on the experience if i am semi retired and have the time and patience. Unfortunately by the time that happens, most cars will be electric or hydrogen by then.

Checkout JayEmm’s videos about his Evora 400. The telling thing for me is that even when diehard owners are prepared to put up with the brand’s build quality quirks, it’s dire customer service from Lotus and it’s dealers that appear to force them into other marques. That for me is the deal breaker, especially after Lexus ownership.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links