Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

European Road Trip

Marcus63

We are off to France for a month shortly in our LC conv. Looking forward to the trip but its been years since we took a car to Europe. Any advice would be welcome. I know we need high viz jackets in the car and a triangle. I also read that we now need a UK sticker. Magnetic? Whatever will do least damage to the paintwork I guess. Do we need to make any adjustments to the headlamps?  Thanks in anticipation. I will try to post some photos.

Then there’s the Clean Air Stickers too you need to buy before you go ,,,,,, various posts here about this need …… to avoid BIG fines 

you’ll have a great time I’m sure. I’ve not been since pre Covid …… the RAC used to give advice on their portal about drivers needs 

enjoy the trip 

Malc 

• Like 1

Yup, Crit Air sticker. Very easy process, you'll get the sticker in about a week for something less than 5 euros. Not necessary if you don;t go into the big towns or cities, but worth having in case you do.

We recently got back from around 1700 miles of driving in France (with a couple of short forays into Switzerland). No issues whatsoever, as usual the journey back along the M20/M25/A12 was far more hassle.

Take the time to avoid autoroutes and use the old main roads or smaller D-roads across country, so much to see. Take it easy at junctions, occasionally the priority isn't what you think and the worst is you'll have someone thinking you're an idiot for not proceeding as they expect. Some villages have a Stop sign for a small road coming out when you think it would be your right of way.

Roads are in much better condition, with low levels of traffic out in the countryside.

I wish I could do our trip all over again.

P.S. Regarding headlights, I suspect you might be similar to my RX - the flat beam doesn't need adjustment, but turn off the AFS.

• Like 1

If you're going by Eurotunnel, as daft as it sounds, you need to do this. 

The standard carriages that you will automatically be booked on are very narrow by today's standards, and you will very easily damage your alloys 

When booking, and using the dropboxes, state that you will be fitting a roof rack that will have bikes on!!

This will get you onto the high carriages with much wider metal kerbs, with less chance of damage to wheels. You'll be accompanying motor homes etc.

Make sure you follow the high/wide arrows from the booths to the train.

It'll cost a little more, but well worth it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marcus63 said:

... I also read that we now need a UK sticker. Magnetic? Whatever will do least damage to the paintwork I guess. ..

Just use number plate stickers, unless you plan on visiting Spain where you'll need to display the black and white UK sticker.

Sticker.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRT68 said:

If you're going by Eurotunnel, as daft as it sounds, you need to do this. 

The standard carriages that you will automatically be booked on are very narrow by today's standards, and you will very easily damage your alloys 

When booking, and using the dropboxes, state that you will be fitting a roof rack that will have bikes on!!

This will get you onto the high carriages with much wider metal kerbs, with less chance of damage to wheels. You'll be accompanying motor homes etc.

Make sure you follow the high/wide arrows from the booths to the train.

It'll cost a little more, but well worth it.

Thanks, the reason we are going by Euro tunnel rather than Ferry was to protect the car, so damage to the alloys is the last thing I want! We have already booked Flexiplus so perhaps we could cancel and re-book with the roof-rack option. Can I assume that it will not be a problem turning up in that section with no roof rack given it is a convertible?

update, thanks again for the info, I have just changed the booking to a high sided vehicle. Cost an extra £60 in total but  compared to the pain of wheel damage...

Yes, rebook with the roof rack option. Your ticket that you hang from the interior mirror shows the marshals your carriage. Just follow the high vehicle directions. 

First time in my RC300h, I didn't know about this, and the 2 inch gap either side of the alloys made me very nervous, especially with the length of the train. Got through safely though!

Next time with the high carriage option was far more relaxed!

Despite no rack, was just waved through. 

With the UK badge, make sure a magnetic one has somewhere to fit. Mine would only go next to the Lexus oval badge. 

I imagine alot of your rear end is also alloy or plastic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sixty said:

Just use number plate stickers, unless you plan on visiting Spain where you'll need to display the black and white UK sticker.

Sticker.jpg

Good idea, nothing magnetic at the rear. Just tested it with an old GB magnetic sticker which fell off wherever I tried to put it. Just going to Spain for a day with little driving, just a mile from the border, so I'll place a GB sticker against the rear window and  put the roof up for the mile or so. I am not sticking anything on the rear of the car!

Definitely go for the single deck carriages - they're much wider - some cars eg Tesla default to single deck - the LC maybe isn't common enough for the system to work out the width could be a problem. You're usually following caravans, vans etc onto the single decks so make sure you're in the right lane early on.

UK stickers to numberplates rather than risking the paintwork with magnetic ovals with dirt underneath. Critair - as long as you get the pdf confirmation of your sticker order that'll satisfy them even if the sticker isn't on the car/arrived yet. If you're using the toll roads look at Emovis Toll transponders - much easier going through the Via Verde or green lane or whatever the french equivalent is without stopping, especially when you're RHD and trying to get your passenger wheels nice and close to the toll booth kerbs so your passenger can pay the toll - crunch!! Headlights - I queried this with Lexus and they said as above - no need for beam deflectors or adjustments - I'm not 100% convinced on that one to be honest. You need your V5 (not a copy) plus insurance cert. amazon, Halfords etc sell an EU kit with the triangle and other legal tat including a bulb kit (err LED bulbs??!!) - note the triangle and high vis for all passengers need to be within reach inside the car,  not in the boot.

I'm hopefully taking mine on the ferry through Spain to the Algarve next spring. Can't wait!

Oh, and note they all drive on the wrong side of the road...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eightk said:

Definitely go for the single deck carriages - they're much wider - some cars eg Tesla default to single deck - the LC maybe isn't common enough for the system to work out the width could be a problem. You're usually following caravans, vans etc onto the single decks so make sure you're in the right lane early on.

UK stickers to numberplates rather than risking the paintwork with magnetic ovals with dirt underneath. Critair - as long as you get the pdf confirmation of your sticker order that'll satisfy them even if the sticker isn't on the car/arrived yet. If you're using the toll roads look at Emovis Toll transponders - much easier going through the Via Verde or green lane or whatever the french equivalent is without stopping, especially when you're RHD and trying to get your passenger wheels nice and close to the toll booth kerbs so your passenger can pay the toll - crunch!! Headlights - I queried this with Lexus and they said as above - no need for beam deflectors or adjustments - I'm not 100% convinced on that one to be honest. You need your V5 (not a copy) plus insurance cert. Amazon, Halfords etc sell an EU kit with the triangle and other legal tat including a bulb kit (err led bulbs??!!) - note the triangle and high vis for all passengers need to be within reach inside the car,  not in the boot.

I'm hopefully taking mine on the ferry through Spain to the Algarve next spring. Can't wait!

Oh, and note they all drive on the wrong side of the road...

All great stuff, thanks. We are not planning on visiting any cities requiring Critair, I don't think but will check and I think just one session on the autoroute. Planning cross country down through the Loire and down to the SE corner.  High viz and triangle I have already  and I think I have worked out how to switch off the automatic main beam adjuster, although in practise, night driving should be minimal. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Most of the non-autoroute speed limits seem to be up to 90km/h again, but watch out for the odd stretch of 80 on busier roads. We saw very few police of any sort and no mobile camera vans, but there are a fair number of fixed cameras and they're not always obvious....

If you don't already have one then a dashcam could be handy? Might help overcome the language barrier if you have any problem.

• Like 1

Marcus you say you’re not visiting any cities BUT if their reach is anything like Herr Khan with ULEZ you might find you’re in the captive zone very unintentionally ……. I don’t know ! 

Malc 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Most of the non-autoroute speed limits seem to be up to 90km/h again, but watch out for the odd stretch of 80 on busier roads. We saw very few police of any sort and no mobile camera vans, but there are a fair number of fixed cameras and they're not always obvious....

If you don't already have one then a dashcam could be handy? Might help overcome the language barrier if you have any problem.

French don’t allow speed camera databases - you’d get fined or have the device confiscated if Le Plod found it but for some odd reason the French Waze users all seem to think there’s ‘police spotted’ at every single fixed camera location. I do like their way of thinking. Waze hugely recommended for Europe!

Wherever I am I always run Waze plus usually also have a dashcam with database (which doesn’t ping dans le france because of the lew)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Marcus you say you’re not visiting any cities BUT if their reach is anything like Herr Khan with ULEZ you might find you’re in the captive zone very unintentionally ……. I don’t know ! 

Malc 

Worth getting a sticker just in case. Marcus won’t have any problems with emissions - his low emissions Euro 6 compliant 5 litre V8 is just what Saddick wants us to drive. Right? Right??

I have a 5 litre V8 and a 3.3 litre V6, both Euro 6. I’m doing it for Greta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, eightk said:

Worth getting a sticker just in case. Marcus won’t have any problems with emissions - his low emissions Euro 6 compliant 5 litre V8 is just what Saddick wants us to drive. Right? Right??

I have a 5 litre V8 and a 3.3 litre V6, both Euro 6. I’m doing it for Greta.

I have just applied for one. Lets see if it arrives on time and whether I have filled the form in correctly!

now to call my dealership re headlights and bulbs!

• Like 1

Chances of changing any LC bulbs at the road side = zero I'd guess.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/advice/checklist/

Looks like no bulb kit is needed any more - good - with LC soft top boot space you need all the space you can get!

Do report back on headlights and wrong side driving.

I too plan on taking the LC on an epic euro road trip, so I’m eagerly awaiting my feedback / route recommendations Marcus.

A personal concern is about where to park. So any recommendations on good hotels / locations welcome too.

I just applied for my Crit Air cert 2 weeks ago and it took a little over a week to get to me. 

You must place it on the front left of your windscreen (passenger side). 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, shapiro said:

You must place it on the front left of your windscreen (passenger side). 

I believe it has to be placed on a right hand drive vehicle (UK) in front of the driver ie. right side. The reference to

passenger side is more likely for a left hand drive vehicle (France) which would be the right side.

I have placed mine at the bottom right hand corner of my windscreen - next to to the German equivilant "Plakette Umweltzone" 

• Like 1

Update on lights, dealership said that the lights don't require adjusting. 
Regarding parking, my intention is to only stay in hotels with private parking and be pretty anal regarding parking in towns. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marcus63 said:

Regarding parking, my intention is to only stay in hotels with private parking and be pretty anal regarding parking in towns. 

Thanks Marcus, that's the same answer I got. It'll be interesting to see how the LC lights work on the wrong side of the road - my Kia has been through Europe three times no problem as it's got a 'lhd' light option, whereas my previous Tesla needed (crap!) stick on beam deflectors which just made the headlights useless and still got me flashed by oncoming french trucks.

Agree 110% on parking!!!

14 hours ago, Marcus63 said:

Last couple of times I iidn't have too much trouble parking in French towns, even Paris. What I will say though is that public underground car parks tend to have very narrow spirals and very high kerbs. Makes the Shuttle carriages look roomy 🙂

I’ve just booked to drive to a champagne weekend 😄.                      
Ive booked a flexiplus ticket and it tells me “your vehicle has been classified as a low vehicle, follow signs for medium and small for smooth boarding”.  Any advice please. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links