Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to remove fuel from scrap car?

Ala Larj

Our trusty 2008 Honda jazz suffered a catastrophic gearbox failure just after filling it up. The cost to repair is more than the car is worth. Have been offered £323 for scrap value. Before it being taken away I’d like to remove and reuse the pertol. Is this possible as I believe most cars nowadays have anti siphon systems in place. Is there a safe way to remove the fuel or should I just take the loss?

I would say it is not worth the effort... people who know how to steal the fuel will defeat any system, but you always risk ending-up with mouth full of fuel. 

There would be an option to access fuel pump which I assume in Japanese style is under the rear seat, but then you need to use some sort of pump to pump it out. Perhaps you can cut the fuel supply line and attach 12V to fuel pump? Obviously, this will burn the pump overtime, but as car is scrap anyway I doubt you care. I have brake bleeder which can be used to "vacuum" out the fuel, but 2L at the time it would take forever and I am not sure it is rated for petrol, nor I would like to contaminate brake fluid in future... Another option - drill the hole in tank... 

I mean there obviously are ways, but I still can't see how it is worth the effort and inconvenience and risk dealing with flammable liquid which stinks... how much of fuel is there? Full tank? Is it at least fresh? Because if it was sitting there for 6 months, then again is partially off already. I know it seems like a waste, but you need to ask yourself if it is worth it.

So I am sorry to say, but this time maybe it is better to write it off?

Thanks Linas. That’s kind of my thoughts. It’s a full tank and about two months old so thought I could use it in my gardening equipment (wouldn’t put it in my GS!). Was wondering if it could be siphoned via the fuel line rather than the filling tube. It just seems such a waste as the scrappers won’t give me extra for the fuel. They obviously have a way of extracting it it so just wondered if I could save them the hassle and use it myself. 

"Proper" end of life scrap yards stick the car on a ramp and drive a hardened, pointed, hollow metal spike into the tank and run the fuel off into a barrel. Unless you can safely empty it out in a controlled manner I'd forget it, you wont be able to siphon it out through the filler.

1 hour ago, Ala Larj said:

Was wondering if it could be siphoned via the fuel line 

It can be done, but it will require some knowhow e.g. finding where the fuel pump is located, figuring out which is positive/negative pin, which is primary and which is return fuel line and applying 12V to the correct pins. It may still take a while, because it is certainly not high flow pump in Honda Jazz. 

So I guess the question is - what tools do you have and how much time you want to invest into doing it?

As well Mick is right - salvage yards don't use the fuel, they just punch the hole into the tank and dispose of it (not that makes any difference for your or makes it better in any way). 

You'll need a fuel siphon pump or a hand-operated transfer pump. These tools are designed for safely removing fuel from a vehicle. Once you've collected the fuel, store it in a safe place, preferably in an approved fuel container. It's essential to dispose of the fuel properly, as it can be hazardous. You can contact your local recycling center or hazardous waste disposal facility for guidance on how to dispose of it safely and responsibly.

Check out the video in the link, access the fuel pump as shown but instead of removing it disconnect the hose face towards the front of the car and connect a longer more suitable piece to the outlet.

Place the other end into your can(s) then turn on the ignition.

The fuel pump will then turn on and pump the petrol into the can, when full turn off the ignition and repeat for next can.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links