Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2001 LS430 Mark Levinson audio playing cd's at half speed?

Hi guys ,

I got  my car back today after having alot of work done only to find out the CD player is acting up?  now what is strange is the work that's been carried out wasn't anything to do with the Cd player. Radio works fine so does the tape player?

It's playing cds at half speed as if it's playing at the wrong rpm and i've tried multiple cds even ones that worked with no problems before?

Not sure where I should go from here

Hoping it's a simple fix!

thanks!

The mark Levinson car audio system, and I'm sorry to say this, but its rubbish. It will always fail, this is just the start of it. The amp and speakers will fail too as they are made from cheap materials. 

The best thing for you to do is, replace the head unit with a better brand, speakers and amp too

12 hours ago, Bind33 said:

Hi guys ,

I got  my car back today after having alot of work done only to find out the CD player is acting up?  now what is strange is the work that's been carried out wasn't anything to do with the Cd player. Radio works fine so does the tape player?

It's playing cds at half speed as if it's playing at the wrong rpm and i've tried multiple cds even ones that worked with no problems before?

Not sure where I should go from here

Hoping it's a simple fix!

thanks!

try disconnecting the Battery to reset everything and see if it helps

• Like 1

If the work carried out involved any welding and they didn't disconnect the Battery before doing it, then you may need a new CD Player.
If you need to find a replacement, take yours out and note the part number on the assembly as there are several different models that all look the same but have different connectors.

As for the reliability of the ML system, it's 22 years old and has fared better than many others of comparable age. It suffers from having the crappy early lead-free solder, much like most of the rest of the LS430s electronics.
If you want to experience REALLY unreliable electronics, go buy a 2001-2005 S-Class Merc. That models electronics is a cluster**** of titanic proportions. 🤣

• Like 1

Yeah I had the sills welded so that is probably why. I'll have to disconnect the Battery from both plugs. It's unfortunate but I'll just have ordered a Bluetooth cassette tape so I'm sure that'll do!

I just find it odd how the cds still play just super slowly almost at half speed. I will update with some info once i've reset it

CD Players have 2 parts. Part one is the CD itself that reads the data from the CD and passes it to the DAC. Part 2 is the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) which converts the data stream into analogue sound. It sounds like your DAC is working fine, but the data feed from the CD is too slow, possibly from a damaged disk speed controller.
I never use my CD player now, since I fitted the BlueMusic module.

Wow,  this is bonkers that the Mark Levinson system gets miffed when a bit of welding is done, thats like my home CD stopped becuase I decided to use my toaster on full 'burn the toast mode'.

I recall when ML kit came onto market in mid 70's and it was priced to really scare the horses. 

Maybe Lexus should have talked to Musical Fidelity or Audiolab or even Arcam, possibly Marantz who from my experience make ML products at sensible prices.

When I spent time in US went to quite a few high end audio shops, nothing impressed me that much apart from the wads of cash needed to acquire equipment that needed a gorilla to pick it up or a room the size of Manchester to fit the darned stuff into

I lived briefly in Germany with some drug dealers at the end of the 70s. Their sound system was by Nakamichi Research Corporation, which I had never heard of. They assured me it cost over £10k then - they didn't pay that as many of their clients were from the local USAF base with access to discounted goods. It certainly sounded good.

21 hours ago, jonthetourist said:

I lived briefly in Germany 

Had a mate who was in the Forces in 70's and he said he once went into a HiFi shop in Germany and some USA forces guys were lifting up reel-to-reel tape recorders and eventually they bought some.   After they left my mate asked the shop owner what was going on, and the owner replied they just wanted to buy the heaviest, and not interested in which one had the best sound. 

On 10/6/2023 at 7:24 PM, jonthetourist said:

sound system was by Nakamichi

this name has been mentioned before in some Forum Posts here  ...  but I don't remember where or when other than someone said that our Lexii were fitted with this named system !

Anyone remember which model ?  and when ?

Malc

10 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

this name has been mentioned before in some Forum Posts here  ...  but I don't remember where or when other than someone said that our Lexii were fitted with this named system !

Anyone remember which model ?  and when ?

Malc

Yes, the ls400 were fitted with nakamichi , the earlier models, infact my brother had fitted Nakamichi speakers and cd player into his golf gti mk2, this was fitted back in the 90's, and to this day, it's still working, unlike the rubbish Mark Levinson system. He also has denon fitted into his corrado vr6

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, BigBoomer said:

If the work carried out involved any welding and they didn't disconnect the battery before doing it, then you may need a new CD Player.

If you want to experience REALLY unreliable electronics, go buy a 2001-2005 S-Class Merc. That models electronics is a cluster**** of titanic proportions. 🤣

The LS has a permanent live to the CD Player even with the ignition off so may well be damaged if neg not detached. Interested by your comment of the S Class as I have had a nostalgic pang for a Merc being a 2005 S Class having enjoyed eighties SEC500 and SEL500 pre my Lexus. "Keyless go" mentioned has put me off and your comment reconfirms my fear of lots of electrical likely gremlins.  Don't need two Cars and am restricted in my driving at present owing to health issues. Just taking my mind of things, I guess. .

My 2001 S320CDI was nicknamed "Christine" by my better half as whenever it felt like it, it would open windows/sunroof, turn on/off the radio, and occasionally just switch off the engine. That last was a bit scary but all it needed was a cool head, put auto-box into neutral, turn off ignition, and then restart her and back into Drive. On the day I sold it (to a recycler) she watched it go and then said "Thank **** that's gone!"🤣 I loved the drivers seat as it was the most comfy seat I have ever sat in. I hated the turbo-lag (diesel) and hated the unreliability.

As for the CD player possibly damaged by a welder, if you don't disconnect the Battery ANY electronic system on a car can be damaged by the voltage spikes that welding generates. The ML system in the LS430 suffers from being made with early lead-free solder which cracks. Compared to similar cars and audio systems from the era (2000-2006) it is a paragon of reliability. Go look at the Merc, BMW, Audi, etc. forums if you don't believe me. I did before I bought my LS430. Until I read the forums I quite fancied a VW Phaeton W10 (diesel) or W12 (GP0 or GP1). After reading the forums you couldn't give me a Phaeton for free, although I believe that the later ones are more reliable.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:38 AM, BigBoomer said:

After reading the forums you couldn't give me a Phaeton for free,

Remembering when the Phaeton first appeared in the UK .. wot a fabulous car  .  VW equivalent of a Roller  ...  did they buy RR or was it Bentley ?

Malc

VW bought (and still own) Bentley in 1998. The 2003 Phaeton was similar to the 2003 Audi A8 and 2003 Bentley Continental in that it shared similar chassis design, suspension, and engine parts. The build quality was up to VW usual high standards, but the early models had transmission issues at quite low mileages as well as endless electrical issues. Their implementation of the air suspension was also pretty poor and unreliable. As time went by they got better but by then the damage was done.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links