Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Life after the IS

Hey folks,

I've been thinking about this for a while and given that Lexus no longer offer the IS in the UK.

I've been asking myself what car would i go for next?

It has crossed my mind about importing new IS from Japan but it's a very unlikely scenario despite how much i love the IS series.
Next option would be an ES... but its still a little ugly and pricey even in the used market.

I think the next logical step would be the RX.....

Or do i walk away from Lexus for good...

I've never been the type to simply go for the latest edition of the same car and im sure the wife would say "we need a bigger car"

I still have a few more years of the IS by which point the kids will have outgrown it space wise...

But i do wonder.. and im sure im not the only one that wonders 🙂

6 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Hey folks,

I've been thinking about this for a while and given that Lexus no longer offer the IS in the UK.

It has crossed my mind about importing new IS from Japan but it's a very unlikely scenario despite how much i love the IS series.
Next option would be an ES... but its still a little ugly and pricey even in the used market.

I've never been the type to simply go for the latest edition of the same car and im sure the wife would say "we need a bigger car"

I still have a few more years of the IS by which point the kids will have outgrown it space wise...

Yes, been in exactly the same place as you. Had money ready to purchase a new IS when the Mk 4 was released but was not brought to the UK. Tried to like the NX, UX and ES (RX way too big for me) but didn't gel with any - closest was the newest NX 350h which some day I might possibly be able to live with but still prefer the IS style/size combination. Looked at alternative brands but as I came to Lexus for something more left field after a string of German cars (and some Fords and a Honda in the family) it would feel like losing that left field, slightly more exclusive feeling - and I think I would miss what has been its outstanding reliability.

So - my decision is... to keep the IS until it isn't economically viable to run it, or something new comes along (Lexus or another brand) with many of the same attributes that really takes my fancy. After all, it's paid for - got a great deal on it when I bought it compared to today's ridiculous new and used prices, and no finance owing, £10 a year VED, although it's 8 years old with 138K miles it still drives like new (and I do get to drive new cars from time to time so I know what they feel like), and has the comfort and economy that works for me - and still maintains some exclusivity as I hardly see another on the road... And with the mess over EVs I'd now like to see what happens over the coming few years before placing any bets with my money on what might be the right technology.

• Like 4

I came to Lexus because SAAB had ceased to make cars. Loved my 9-3 Aero Ttid and Lexus IS was the nearest comparable saloon car that I could find. After 7 years I have no complaints about the IS. It is reliable, comfortable, well appointed and not a run of the mill German car. I agree with Phil that I will keep running the IS until it no longer becomes viable and hope that, by then, another saloon equivalent is available. Not a fan of SUV's.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Hey folks,

I have wondered this for a while myself.

I love my IS & it does everything I need it to do & would definitely looked at a newer IS.

Unfortunately I think the ES is too big & I am not too keen on SUV's myself so would probably have to look further afield to find what I wanted.

I have discussed this with my wife & we both have agreed now that as the IS has only covered 9,000 miles in its 3 year life we are going to stick with it for probably another 3 years.

• Like 1

Seems we're quite a few in this conundrum! I too wonder what I would get in the current market.
I definitely don't like most european compact sedans/saloons, and the only one that I would like more than my IS300h is the Alfa Giulia (undeniably beautiful), but reliability rankings aren't the best, and I would not be sure. The ES is OK but too large for my garage and driveway etc.... it is a car perfect for the US market but a bit too large for the UK. I think I would miss the rear-wheel drive feeling too (what is it like, @Mincey ? )

I'm super happy with my IS and intend to keep it for long (9K miles with it so far in under a year, including a return trip to south Spain), but I admit sometimes im VERY tempted to swap it in the future for an NX or a Honda HRV Hybrid. Why? The potholes and bad roads. It must be nice to just drive without worrying about all the imperfections on the tarmac (dunno about the rest of you but here in Kent roads are pretty bad), even though im not a big fan of SUVs.
Last year When i took the car to annual service the dealer lent me a new-ish NX and it felt a bit like a big tank but on the other hand, I didn't worry about potholes.

• Like 1

Just keep the IS; super reliable, not as lumpy as the ES. Live a little and get an RCF if you want a bit of excitement.

AND it is RWD and LSD and V8 and so on.........😂.

Or go cheap and buy a quirky IS 200t ...now that is an interesting car.  Don't let Linas read this! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have an RC300h and in the same position. Grandchildren are getting older, with ones head brushing the headlining when in her car seat. 

Don't want an SUV of any kind! So may get a Corolla estate. 

Or, thinking outside of the box, a Zafira for when they're in the car,  and something for me and the wife when they're not. An IS250c or a BMW Z4 coupe?

An IS300h estate would be ideal. Lexus now have a very restricted range now, and must be losing sales.

I will definitely hold on to the IS as long as I can.

I'm sure the ES will come of age and transform into a swan 😂😂😂 but on a serious note I'm sure ES will be worth looking at in the future with facelift editions.

Getting something like an IS200t doesn't solve any issue, it's still the same IS inside, you could easily opt for the latest 250 or 300h....

The dilemma is what happens in 10 years when all other cars have moved on fashion wise, the IS is gonna be an ugly duckling (I will still love you my F-Sport) 😂😂

That said (please don't beat me up) I do like the new 2023 Prius and the Volvo S60.  Actually even the WV Arteon is quite appealling.

5 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Yes, been in exactly the same place as you. Had money ready to purchase a new IS when the Mk 4 was released but was not brought to the UK. Tried to like the NX, UX and ES (RX way too big for me) but didn't gel with any - closest was the newest NX 350h which some day I might possibly be able to live with but still prefer the IS style/size combination. Looked at alternative brands but as I came to Lexus for something more left field after a string of German cars (and some Fords and a Honda in the family) it would feel like losing that left field, slightly more exclusive feeling - and I think I would miss what has been its outstanding reliability.

So - my decision is... to keep the IS until it isn't economically viable to run it, or something new comes along (Lexus or another brand) with many of the same attributes that really takes my fancy. After all, it's paid for - got a great deal on it when I bought it compared to today's ridiculous new and used prices, and no finance owing, £10 a year VED, although it's 8 years old with 138K miles it still drives like new (and I do get to drive new cars from time to time so I know what they feel like), and has the comfort and economy that works for me - and still maintains some exclusivity as I hardly see another on the road... And with the mess over EVs I'd now like to see what happens over the coming few years before placing any bets with my money on what might be the right technology.

And then another IS 300h parked next to me at South Mimms services tonight - so much for exclusivity... 🤣

20 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

The dilemma is what happens in 10 years when all other cars have moved on fashion wise, the IS is gonna be an ugly duckling

I think the IS Phase 3 is ageing very gracefully - it still looks fresh and modern even though it's been out a decade now. Maybe because there aren't a lot on the road to get used to them, when put alongside any new car it doesn't look out of place and the lines still flow very nicely - well that's IMHO and what drew me to the IS in the first place. 

• Like 3

For me originally i planned to keep the IS for 5 years. But like others here i don't see an alternative and might just end up running it till it no longer makes financial sense. The ES is the closest alternative and i think it looks good but is a bit too big and has the same boot size. The IS on the other hand is perfect for my current needs and so far I am quite happy with Lexus and Honda reliability wise so will probably not look at other manufacturers

11 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Volvo S60

I had the 2020 Volvo S60 T5. What a lovely impressive car and big and very comfortable inside too. I wanted the T8 or T6 but they were as rare as unobtanium when I was looking about 3 yrs ago. The T5 was fairly quick too, faster than the IS200t which has a similar engine config' but servicing was even more expensive than lexus.

I think you would find the civic too small. The VW arteon is a revamped Passat and just a bit boring. The W12 engines are a financial nightmare. Even the VW V6 engines cost a fortune to maintain - Timing chain approx £4K+ according to some forum members .

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, IS300FSPORT said:

The new Civic Type R looks fantastic, let the depreciation pass.

I actually looked at the new Civic a year ago before I got my IS (my previous car was a lovely Civic 9 Tourer), but as a new car, they raised the price three times in the span of a few months (ahead of launch and after launch) and coupled with the fact they brought very few units to the UK (long wait times), it felt like a bit of a p_i_s_s-take. And the HRV (also good looking) comes with the 1.5 engine of the Jazz, therefore lacking punch on the motorway.

11 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

I think the IS Phase 3 is ageing very gracefully - it still looks fresh and modern even though it's been out a decade now. Maybe because there aren't a lot on the road to get used to them, when put alongside any new car it doesn't look out of place and the lines still flow very nicely - well that's IMHO and what drew me to the IS in the first place. 

Most definitely! 🏆 I often park it and then look at it for a few seconds: it looks that good. I only had that with the Alfa GTV in the past. 

12 hours ago, agent_dess said:

That said (please don't beat me up) I do like the new 2023 Prius and the Volvo S60.  Actually even the WV Arteon is quite appealling

I saw a few of the new Prius in the US and it is a VERY good looking car indeed. If they brought it to the UK it would be a serious candidate to replace my IS in the future.
I find the Volvo S60 a bit like the ES: good looking but too large!

20 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Hey folks,

Depends on many factors what you want out of a car, but taking a natural lineage approach (modern hybrid saloon), in agreement with the missus we converged on Peugeot 508 plug-in. It really is a classy, handsome object with tasteful interior and good economy. The only concern here is reliability...

2023 Peugeot 508 Rear 3/4 Driving

2023 Peugeot 508 SW Interior

I thought that Prius 2023 (PHEV) would be the follower of my IS but after test drive I felt very disappointed.

Good points:

- Looks amazing, one of the best looking new cars out there. Certainly turn heads.

- Handling and driveability good, although not as good as IS (chassis and RWD makes IS still better)

- Performance was good, much more crisp than IS (below 7s to 100km/h) but the eCvt and engine felt a lot harsher in Prius compared to sophistication of IS. Just feels much cheaper overall, not good at this price point.

- Range and consumption in EV mode were great and performance was more than adequate only EV mode

Bad:

- Quality inside bad, rattling plastics everywhere, the test car had even scratches already!

- Road noise completely too loud, IS is whisper quite in comparison (the (too)big tires on Prius may be one culprit here)

- Very cramped inside and the boot size is a (bad) joke

- Seats weren't as good as IS, eventhough it had a lot more configurations

- Annoying beebs and warnings CONSTANTLY, would drive anyone nuts in a matter of minutes

- Didn't like the dashboard location, doesn't work for me

- Call me nuts, but I missed the flappy pads from the IS with sportier driving. I like using them for "downshifting"

- Price vs. Quality is just not matching at all, it's as expensive as basic Lexus

So overall I'd rank IS a lot better car, even at almost 10y old. Just feels so much more expensive, better built and sturdy compared to the Prius.

That to buy after IS? ES is too big and it'd need much more power for a car that size. I probably test drive the new hybrid Honda Civic next. It looks good inside and out. Volvos are desirable also but they cost a lot more and maintenance is much more expensive. Germans, I don't like them for various reasons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Randomizer said:

That to buy after IS? ES is too big and it'd need much more power for a car that size. 

Test drive an ES. You'll be surrpised at how soon you get used to the size (parking is admittedly another issue!). Of course our resident Lexus disser will say otherwise, but I think the ES has enough oomph. 

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Test drive an ES. You'll be surrpised at how soon you get used to the size (parking is admittedly another issue!). Of course our resident Lexus disser will say otherwise, but I think the ES has enough oomph. 

During my trip to LA we rented a Toyota Camry, which is very similar in size to the ES (see image below), and it felt great! 😀

As you say, parking must be another issue because there even car parks are larger and you move around without a problem.

Suspension a lot softer than the IS but that came in handy given the Californian asphalt isn't the best either. A different drivetrain though (2.5 litres with 203 bhp), with an auto-8-speed gearbox that was a bit sluggish (unless you used sport mode and a heavier foot: then there was plenty of power!).

Screenshot2023-10-11at15_19_19.thumb.png.8e1569bbb3b395b64a31ec0501d59909.png

17 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

when put alongside any new car it doesn't look out of place and the lines still flow very nicely

Speaking of lines, I've had mine six years and only just noticed an elegant bodywork feature on the side of the car. There was an IS300h on some drama I was watching on television and for the first time I noticed something that the film lighting managed to clearly highlight.

There's a bodwork line that begins below the front door and rises gently towards the back wheel, leaving space for the word Hybrid below the back door. But what I had never noticed is that the line continues on the other side of the back wheel until it ends just below the rear light cluster.

Maybe I'm the only one who's never noticed this line extension below the light cluster but I can now see that it looks very elegant, swooping all the way from the front door to the back of the car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thackeray said:

Speaking of lines, I've had mine six years and only just noticed an elegant bodywork feature on the side of the car. There was an IS300h on some drama I was watching on television and for the first time I noticed something that the film lighting managed to clearly highlight.

There's a bodwork line that begins below the front door and rises gently towards the back wheel, leaving space for the word Hybrid below the back door. But what I had never noticed is that the line continues on the other side of the back wheel until it ends just below the rear light cluster.

Maybe I'm the only one who's never noticed this line extension below the light cluster but I can now see that it looks very elegant, swooping all the way from the front door to the back of the car.

Yes!, it was partly those flowing lines that sweep up to the rear that drew me to the car in the first place - I really liked the side profile. 

In the hope that he does not read this forum: when parked next to my in-law's 3-series BMW, the aesthetics of the IS300h bodywork really stands out, and makes the otherwise handsome BMW look really bare and featureless. It really is a great piece of industrial design for the money. Few cars look more pleasing in any car park.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links