Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h now 2nd most stolen car in UK

33 minutes ago, YvesD said:

I'm finding this hard to believe from a driving dynamics point of view at least, they're not very inspiring cars to drive spiritidly.

Presume it's organised crime stealing for transport overseas?

Yep. These aren’t cars stolen for getaway use or spares. Straight into a shipping container for sale abroad is the usual method.

Land Rover are also launching a new insurance service in January as they are losing a lot of sales when purchasers try to insure the cars, especially in London. Be interesting to see if the policy’s are reasonable. I suspect they will have very high compulsory excesses. 

I did ask of my Lexus Dealer when my car was serviced whether  3rd Gen were affected in a similar way to the 4th Gen and was told not - another reason to stay with my comfortable 3rd Gen for a few more years by which time there are likely to be advances in Battery tech and more choice of EV, with better  range and maybe more widespread charging.

2 hours ago, HGUS said:

My Lexus Dealer has informed me that the latest RX450h does not have the canbus issues  of previous versions. 🙏

The issue from my perspective now is "once bitten, twice shy". If I change to a new model RX, and a security flaw surfaces in 5 years time, what confidence do I have that it will be adequately patched?

10 minutes ago, PDM said:

The issue from my perspective now is "once bitten, twice shy". If I change to a new model RX, and a security flaw surfaces in 5 years time, what confidence do I have that it will be adequately patched?

But can't the same be said for any new vehicle, Lexus or otherwise,  going forward?  With more and more tech filled cars there's bound to be an issue or two or a few. 

1 minute ago, HGUS said:

But can't the same be said for any new vehicle, Lexus or otherwise,  going forward?  With more and more tech filled cars there's bound to be an issue or two or a few. 

Sure it can.  And faults themselves are not the specific issue - it is the apparent lack of willingness to fix them that is.  In my personal experience Lexus don't fix software bugs and they don't adequately fix security issues, certainly not in reasonable time scales.  So perhaps I should give someone else a shot in future?  As an example, Ford retrospectively made sleeping keys available to previous vehicles to improve security against relay thefts. 

But for a decade I have no direct experience of other brands... Although if I change brands, perhaps I would be sorely disappointed...!

• Like 1

I'm currently purchasing a 2016 RX from a Lexus dealer.  I called them today to enquire about the plate, and they told me that they can fit one, but there would be a charge of £175 +vat.  They should be fitting them free of charge.  I'm gobsmacked!

Has anyone had this done for free?

32 minutes ago, Masiv44 said:

but there would be a charge of £175 +vat.  They should be fitting them free of charge.  I'm gobsmacked!

Just tell them that unless they do it for free you will abandon the sale, and mean what you say.

In my experience the best deal comes while you are walking away and occasionally it doesn't, but that's life.😥

I think I would find another car at another dealer, I cannot believe they are trying to charge you £175.
I had mine done at Lexus Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, all free of charge, and waited the two hours and supplied with excellent coffee and biscuits.

I am aware that Toyota are providing the plates for free, but charging £75, so for Lexus dealer to charge double that, I would not be confident using their service.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all.  Got it sorted, but I told the dealership that I wasn't happy.

Emailed Lexus customer care yesterday and had a reply at 8am this morning saying that they had contacted the dealership to sort out ordering and fitting the plates.  'Lexus UK will be supporting this financially.'   The dealer called me to say that they can fit them for free but the plates will cost £175+vat and they didn't know of any other dealers doing it for free.  I told them I wasn't happy about this, and my tone told them that they were risking the sale.  They said that they'd look into it and call me back.  It took all of 5 minutes before they called back saying that they'd contacted Lexus Uk and that they'd order the parts and fit them this week before I collect the car.  If they hadn't got back to me this morning I would have gone back to Lexus UK and complained.

Now this Dealer is FRF Lexus Cardiff.  I think it might have changed hands from when I used them about 20 years ago because back then they would have given you their first born if you'd asked for it.  FRF own dealerships all over South Wales selling Lexus, Toyota and Volvo,  and more.  I've been unhappy with the service the service from their Volvo dealership in Swansea over the past three years, but was very surprised when I ran into bother with their Lexus brand.  It seems like they have a group think policy.

All sorted now thanks to you all.  I'll be a regular here from now on.

By the way, do any insurers do a discount for club members?  I used to get 10% discount from AdrianFlux when I was a member of Celica owners club.

11 minutes ago, Masiv44 said:

By the way, do any insurers do a discount for club members?  I used to get 10% discount from AdrianFlux when I was a member of Celica owners club.

Lets  hope AF do a discount you might well need one given the RX450 is in the premier league of nicked cars. 

I have been looking at the RX to replace my Mazda CX5, plugged the numbers into LV   my current insurer,  £1650  per year please Sir !  Err that's £1200 more than the CX5,  no points, over 60 and live in a very rural area.  No RX for me ☹️

7 hours ago, omegatt said:

Lets  hope AF do a discount you might well need one given the RX450 is in the premier league of nicked cars. 

I have been looking at the RX to replace my Mazda CX5, plugged the numbers into LV   my current insurer,  £1650  per year please Sir !  Err that's £1200 more than the CX5,  no points, over 60 and live in a very rural area.  No RX for me ☹️

Might be worth a call to NFU - they gave me a very reasonable quote. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, omegatt said:

Thanks I'll give them a try

Also look at a tracker and immobiliser and windscreen stickers to advertise the fact. Even with the plates fitted they’ll still try it as there’s no visible signs the car has been protected. 
Either Lexus sort every single car as Land Rover could be doing so thieves know they can’t be stolen with ten quids worth of electronics, or they’ll end up uninsurable and unsellable.

Other than, for insurance purposes, that Tracker is Thatcham approved, I see no real benefit. All it means, is that the chances to recover your pride and joy from a ditch, or some back street garage, stripped for parts is more possible. In those circumstances, do you really want it back?
In my opinion, it’s about as much use as having cameras on your drive, for vehicle security, the scrotes will be wearing balaclavas and the old bill these days, don’t make any efforts to identify offenders, just ring for a crime number, for insurance purposes!
We can only do what we can do, a visible steering lock, has to be a deterrent, and without a trailer and winch, with a Ghost or similar immobiliser it ain’t going anywhere.

As to putting info on the vehicle about any security devices fitted, I think that is just making it a challenge for the tow rags, and if you take all the above steps to secure your investment, it will still be there next day, FNS damage accepted.

As an after thought, I have dash cams fitted, that provides several camera stickers and warning notice to be displayed on the vehicle, which activate if entry is forced( I think) but as to whether it’s any deterrent to the thieves I guess is debatable !

My LC needed a tracker for the insurance. Completely invisible and not a deterrent at all. I’ve stuck a Scorpion sticker on the windscreen and upgraded to include an immobiliser so at least the car theoretically can’t be started, although the bumper and wheelarch liner will already have been ripped to bits by that point. Hopefully the sticker will put them off 😐

I cannot express in words exactly how pee’d off I am with Lexus doing nothing at all to sort this. Yes RX owners have invisible steel plates on offer, if you’re lucky enough to find out about them via this excellent forum, but it doesn’t stop the initial damage unless EVERY car is protected through software changes or free immobiliser fitting for EVERY car at risk via an official manufacturers recall.

Oh, and I specifically asked the service guy in my dealer last week which new Lexus are still at risk. He was adamant a new RX is still vulnerable. That’s not what I’ve read on here. Hopefully he’s wrong.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links