Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Opinions?

mickw322

2 hours ago, mickw322 said:

Newbie here, any opinions on this recently added SC430 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394995213891 , seems a good price, MOT history appears fine. Currently at that age to scratch an itch.

A good itch to scratch. I would want to see the car first - a long way to travel unless you want a day out in Norwich!

Just trying to gauge some opinions based on the information so far. I've noticed that the cars £4000 and under tend to be earlier models with higher mileage and the £10,000 plus cars are newer lower mileage. The 6k to 8k bracket seems active at the moment. 

4 hours ago, mickw322 said:

Newbie here, any opinions on this recently added SC430 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394995213891 , seems a good price, MOT history appears fine. Currently at that age to scratch an itch.

He Who dares Rodders.

One of the best colours. If first registered before April 2006 then cheaper road tax?

Mileage is not really an issue as there is a YouTube video of a red SC430 still running at 700,000 with the engine being serviced and cam belt changed regularly. 

That eBay seller has it as an auction listing so if no one else bids you will win it for £5900. This is how I got mine for £5600.

7 minutes ago, Nigel Coleman said:

One of the best colours. If first registered before April 2006 then cheaper road tax?

Mileage is not really an issue as there is a YouTube video of a red SC430 still running at 700,000 with the engine being serviced and cam belt changed regularly. 

That eBay seller has it as an auction listing so if no one else bids you will win it for £5900. This is how I got mine for £5600.

What colour/spec was yours? Did you have any initial teething problems with it?

The 2006 facelift cars also have AFS headlights (Adaptive Front Lighting System) which turn as you move the steering wheel:-

"The AFS system is a safety feature that allows the driver to see better in low-light conditions. The system uses sensors to detect oncoming traffic and will adjust the headlight beam pattern accordingly.

This allows the driver to see better and avoid potential accidents.

The adjustments of the light conditions depend on the speed, road, and weather conditions. For example, when making a turn the AFS will provide more light on the side that you are turning towards making it easier to see."

2 hours ago, Nigel Coleman said:

If first registered before April 2006 then cheaper road tax?

The exact date were the lower VED applies is for cars registered before 23/03/06. Might sound like I am being picky about an extra nine days prior to 01/04/06 but I do know someone who was caught out by this (in the days were you could still sell a car with the remaining VED) and he wasn't happy to find when come renewal the car was in bracket M not K. The difference in VED today for Sc430's registered on 22/03/06 and 23/03/06 is an extra £300.00 per year. This may or may not be important to potential buyers.

56 minutes ago, Chris111 said:

The exact date were the lower VED applies is for cars registered before 23/03/06. Might sound like I am being picky about an extra nine days prior to 01/04/06 but I do know someone who was caught out by this (in the days were you could still sell a car with the remaining VED) and he wasn't happy to find when come renewal the car was in bracket M not K. The difference in VED today for Sc430's registered on 22/03/06 and 23/03/06 is an extra £300.00 per year. This may or may not be important to potential buyers.

Indeed, one would have to ask for this car, because they have removed the private plate and we don't know the original plate so cannot search on it.

I notice the front grill badge is different to my Lexus SC 430. Does that mean anything?

I note they have done a lot of work which on the face of it supports the pricing level, but it raises a question in my mind about the condition of the areas of the car we have not seen. Underbody. The pics mean nothing tome as I know up close and personal it could be radically different. However, in their favour they have made a statement regarding the bodywork and as that forms part of any purchase contract you have some fallback there.

The colour way is excellent for me. The pricing level looks decent as long as somebody doesn't start ramping it up much. I think you could do worse than this to satisfy your itch, but it needs to be seen and driven.

The reg. date is 01/03/2006. The problem I have is I am currently in France until December, so If anybody is near Norwich and would like to do a viewing and test drive then I would be willing to compensate them for their expenses and time.

If purchased I would have it transported to family in Manchester area. No rush or pressure, just seems a suitable candidate after looking at SC's over the past 8 months. All comments welcome.

56 minutes ago, mickw322 said:

The vehicle has been returned to it's original plate - MV06 GHN, 5 owners.

That's a pretty impressive MOT history. If I were closer I would help you out.

Boomer54 states:-

"I notice the front grill badge is different to my Lexus SC 430. Does that mean anything?"

This indicates that this car could be a Japanese Dry Import where the SC430 is badged as a "Soarer"

That's really no bad thing if you intend to keep the car as they usually have an excellent underside due to the climate and Japan not using salt on their roads. Also you can get different colour combo's from the UK cars. Resale prices will be 5-10% less.

The vehicle check states that it is not an import. Also having been in contact with the seller he informed me that he has imported parts from Japan and Germany. So I think he has just put the badge on for some individuality.

A few months ago I was quite seriously considering a Jap import but wasn’t able to reconcile myself to the hieroglyphics in Japanese  

Notwithstanding everything ( they say ) had been converted to English  🤔

so resigning myself to this FACT I decided to cease my search for a import Jap car and just go search for a simple UK Japanese car …… a UK Lexus 

Just beware that an Import might have idiosyncrasies you don’t really wish for even tho’ the car is “ ostensibly “ the same 

Malc 

Quick update. After many emails I wasn't happy with the limited info I was getting back. The deal breaker for me was when I asked about its last oil & filter change, the reply was he hasn't done one during 3.5yrs ownership as it was done when he bought it and has only covered 4000 miles. That for me is unacceptable regardless of the miles covered, happy to hear Opinions given that was the thread title.

• Like 1

Guessing the oil still looks very clean !  Don’t think I’d be too concerned if the car runs well 

I bought, many years ago an aged Mk2 Ls400 with 7462 miles over some 14 ? years ….. she drove well and lasted me several years, some 40k miles  with zero troubles …… no prior service records just the regular MOTs ( and a cambelt done sticker at 10 years ) and I doubt the oil and filter had often been changed during its prior life 

I’d still have it today if not written off sadly 🥵

Make of this what you will ….. the engine in yours could be absolutely fine ….. they’re very robust 

Good luck

Malc 

• Like 1

I'm guessing this would be a weekend car rather than a workhorse that's going to clock up the miles, I would not be unduly worried about the lack of recent oil change.  Corrosion and ageing of components (esp electronics) would be more of a worry to me.

I think the 100,000 miles is a bit of a psychological tripwire. It should not be given we know what this car can do. However, it is simply a well researched issue regarding human behaviour and 'big round numbers'. Given that it is easy to see why when you cross that big round number then as a seller you have something different to overcome. You have to be able to offer a 'hook' to negate the psychological barrier. For me the colour combination on this car might be enough of a 'hook', but given he has had no bids it begins to look like he will have to encourage via the price. The old maxim is probably going to apply here 'anything will sell at the right price'.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links