Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

90s were the best years

21 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

No one’s going to agree on the magnificent health changes. Societal changes,  Sadie khan and TFL let alone politics 

Well…I think we can probably all agree on that!  😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

How about 1985-1995?

Perfect compromise.

It occurs to me those two words don't really belong in the same sentence.🤨

Each and every decade, and the years in between, and outside, have been amazingly wonderful, almost 100% …….. for me anyway 😄

It’s simply an attitude on life and towards people that make for “ the best decades” in one’s life 

90’s we’re good for sure ……… roll on the rest of the 2020’s and thenceforth …… just make, if you can, every day count positively ……… 

But as for cars …….. well the 90’s were great with the production of the amazing Ls400 for some 10 years and a little at the side of that decade too 

Life's good        ENJOY 

Malc 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Wot a load of Bol—ock s …….. bring it back to cars please ……. No one’s going to agree on the magnificent health changes. Societal changes,  Sadie khan and TFL let alone politics 

Cars we might know a little about though 🤔🤣

Malc 

Sorry - did I miss something? I didn't realise this was limited to cars! I thought it is about 90s in general, yeah cars were good back then, but it was not only the cars that were good about 90s.

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

It’s simply an attitude on life and towards people that make for “ the best decades” in one’s life 

Also I have to disagree with this one either. I mean sure - ones perspective matters, but let's say 1940s - 1950s were objectively bad time to be alive. Forget perspective - it was horrible either way you look at it. Although I am not comparing it to WW2, but 2000-2010 was objectively bad time to be alive again, started alright, but ended with everyone being worse off. Same continues since 2010s onwards. It is not about perspective and making it work, it objectively the time when quality of life is getting worse. Now again comparatively - I am sure that anyone in their 20-30s back in 1940s would gladly swap it to 2010s, but it is still undeniable that we reached "quality of life" pinnacle in 90s, plateaued and since early 2000s quality of life is getting increasingly bad again. It is not yet WW3, although considering everything who can say we not going that way, but it is still significantly worse than it was in 90s. Also I do consider that we currently living in war years, there is war in Europe, Europeans die, we are sending (not enough) weapons to defend the peace, we are paying increased prices for that etc.

Sometimes you just can't make something "best decade of your life", no mattery how positive is your outlook. 1910s and 30s were objectively bad, 40s were horrible, from 50s to 90s those were good years, 2000s were meh, 2008 financial crisis was objectively bad period for everyone, 2010s overall were stagnant, 2020s onwards not getting better. So be as positive as you want - they are just not good years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Sorry - did I miss something? I didn't realise this was limited to cars!

Seems that way. This thread has been posted within Lexus general discussions, anything non motor related is off topic and may be removed. 

“General Lexus or Motor related topics may be posted here that do not fit into any forum category.”

Cars throughout the decades have been generally quite marvellous …….. affordability has usually been the limiting factor for most people I'm thinking ……. My 1932 Triumph was a “ rich man’s “ sports car ……. Indeed “ ordinary “ working people had no hope of owning a car ……. Affordability has improved immensely over all time, over all the decades since  …….. early 90’s not so I’m thinking ……my being made redundant as a banker in 91  was merely a reflection on the UK and global economy ……. that deteriorated somewhat at that time BUT the glorious Ls400 came about and on reflection sold very few cars here …….. economic issues no doubt for the “ average “ working man ( whatever that might be ) …….. and each decade since car sales have blossomed I’m thinking ……. I haven’t checked the stats tho’ so I might be hopelessly wrong ……. Cars have seemingly become greatly affordable with all sorts of finance schemes …… as we’re never dreamnt 20/30/50/80 years ago  

Yes the 90’s were good but so is every other decade too ….. in part ….. for some 🤔

Always think positive, it helps 👍

Malc 

I think most will have their own preference. Some like pre war cars that leave me cold. I like the seventies as cars were relatively simple then, no electronics and the design of that era was just great. Various decades did give us some great motor cars and each to their own. That brings the question what, for you, was the highlight, the pinnacle, the one car that stands out?  For me the Citroen 2CV. The sheer simplicity of the design, the lightness the way the chassis worked the undestructable 2 cylinder engine, all a masterpiece of design ( in my opinion).

• Like 2

Back when I was a wee lad, I always remember being looking forward to seeing my uncle. He was a Director at Dimplex and always had Granada Ghias as company cars. Well, until he got a Rover Sterling just before he retired. Anyway, there was a Granada Ghia featured on Pistonheads recently and I have to say it looked a little basic by today's standards!

28 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Back when I was a wee lad, I always remember being looking forward to seeing my uncle. He was a Director at Dimplex and always had Granada Ghias as company cars. Well, until he got a Rover Sterling just before he retired. Anyway, there was a Granada Ghia featured on Pistonheads recently and I have to say it looked a little basic by today's standards!

BUT I bet it was electonicory less than todays cars and immensely reliable with robust engineering …….. and sadly rust probably it’s ultimate failing 😰

Malc 

46 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

BUT I bet it was electonicory less than todays cars and immensely reliable with robust engineering …….. and sadly rust probably it’s ultimate failing 😰

Malc 

Let's take the psychological route for an explanation. You will almost certainly pick the period that coincides with that period in your life that you formed the memories that made you the adult you are today. Cognitive and development psychology understands this issue quite well.

34 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Let's take the psychological route for an explanation. You will almost certainly pick the period that coincides with that period in your life that you formed the memories that made you the adult you are today. Cognitive and development psychology understands this issue quite well.

But I’ve not yet grown up surely 🤣

Being adult must be such a chore and responsibility 😂

Malc 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

But I’ve not yet grown up surely 🤣

Being adult must be such a chore and responsibility 😂

Malc 

I had of course classified you to be a statistical outlier that cannot be visibly seen on the Bell distribution.

• Haha 1

Going back to "golden years" of motoring whatever decade is nice to look back on. Based on my recent experiences motoring today is absolutely awful. Cameras, bus lanes, agressive drivers, stupid drivers, ignorant could not care less drivers, nutcases, idiots, uninsured drivers, drugged/drunk drivers at any time of day. It's just not much fun anymore. It sounds awful but you really need to try to keep off the roads at rush hour/school dropping off hour/ weekends/ nighttime/holidays/ when the mad cyclists are out looking for trouble. It all sounds so negative but it really is that bad around here.  I think it is time to go and live somewhere sensible and tranquil.  I had a particularly close call this week as a nutcase tried to join the sliproad off the motorway at speed and force me out of the way. I could hear his tyres squealing and hitting the noise warning strips as he approached from behind me. He only just missed hitting the armco as he swerved into the slip road. It was a bit of a shock . Next thing he is racing on the inside lane forcing other cars out of his way. All I can say is that he was either mad or drunk or drugged or all the above.  It just puts you off driving. Maybe I am getting older and can't handle or don't want the cut and thrust of aggressive driving techniques??

Anyway if the sun is shining and the roads are dry it's out on the bike on a quiet monday morning.. Fingers crossed.

• Thanks 2

Brilliant synopsis of how I too feel and experience todays motoring madness …….. I’m no cyclist ….. I just go for my 30 min 20 lengths swim a few times a week to de-stress from driving …… heaven knows how people cope driving in anything other than a Lexus limo 

But I couldn’t cope with all that electronic wizadry on a modern Lexus tbh ……. Life needs the simplicity of an aged Ls400 surrounding me 😂

Malc 

• Thanks 1

Yes it's interesting, I think all these nagging "driver aids" add to the stress of driving.  I had a mad moment this week when I thought an old classic MGA or MGB might be a good idea as an everyday driver - you know, to the shops and back etc. My wife soon put me off that idea.🥸.

Looking forward to June when the isF gets back on the road. That will put the wind up these boy racers.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links