Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

no longer prospective owner - test drive result

Hi,

First of all a big thank you to all the people who posted their replies to my questions - you sure are a friendly bunch around here, I hope that stays the same after this post!

I did hesitate about coming back here to post what is essentially negative views on the car, but I felt I should as people asked me to do so after taking time to answer my earlier questions. Also - they're not negative views of the car, it's a fantastic car, they're just negative views from my point of view... something entirely different.

Anyway, I rolled up at the dealer this morning. They've been great, very friendly, and sat in the car, had a few things pointed out and then I was off for a few hours test drive.

First impressions - the engine's very quiet. Electric seats easy to adjust. So I set off - and then it hits me, the ride is quite firm. The road from the garage is not very well surfaced, and I feel every bump to the point where it is almost jarring.

So, on to an A road, smooth tarmac. First time to put the foot down... what a fantastic sound! It's really much quicker than I thought it would be, the engine is incredibly smooth through the rev range, the gears are also great, extremely slick.

Up to cruising speed of around 70-80mph. Easy off on the revs, and the engine is very quiet which is impressive.

Unfortunately, the tyre noise seemed very loud and intrusive to me. If you're familiar with my other post, you'll know I'm coming at this from the point of view of owning a 1.6 mark IV golf. The lexus, unfortunately, seems in someways noisier and less refined than my golf, which was a suprise to me. I begin to realise that I'm in what is essentially, a much sportier car. When cruising at 70-80mph in the golf, the engine is obviously much noisier than the lexus, as it is straining with it's 4 cyclinders and smaller capacity. However, tyre noise, and indeed traffic noise seems somehow less.

I guess I mentioned I was looking for a quiet and refined, comfy car. After a few hours driving the lexus, I realised that the car is much sportier than I anticipaed, and possibly not quite what I was looking for. I did whizz it around a few corners, the handling was fantastic, the engine is beautiful, and I could sure have a lot of fun with the car. As a day to day run about, it's not really what I was looking for though.

A few other points - the interior was plasticky. Worse than my golf in my opinion. My lower back hurt after driving the car for a few hours - possibly as I didn't have the seats as well adjusted as I should have done. The outside of the car, especially the alloys, really does look so, so very cool.

Other things - the heated seats were great. Stereo not as fantastic as I had expected for some reason. The car, suprisingly, had some small interior rattles particularly from the belt fastener, although it had done 10000 miles.

Anyway, after this test drive I did leave the garage a little deflated. I think that I was really keen on a lexus - I liked the idea of the 'lexus experience', the friendly dealers and the reliability.

As a way of comparison, I went to the Audi garage next to test drive an A4. I have to say that the dealers haven't been too good at arranging this, it was the second guy I've spoken to there as the first one didn't bother returning a call to set a test drive up, after cancelling one previously. Not the best of starts.

Anyway, I sat in the A4 and first impressions are of a very solid car. This was a two litre, although I'm more interested in the 1.8T, so I expected the engine to be a little gruff. Also, the test car had the sports suspension so I was expecting another firm ride.

After trundling out the dealer, the first thing I notice is that the ride is firm, but not harsh, nowhere near as firm as the Lexus. More like my golf in fact. I zoom down an A road, and the engine does indeed sound a little rough. Acceleration is fair, not as quick as the lexus but I wouldn't expect that in the 2 litre. The engine is nowhere near as smooth either, but again not unexpected.

Anyway, I reach the motorway, and am trundling along at 70-80ish. It suddenly hits me how incredibly quiet everything is. The engine is quiet when not under acceleration. Tyre noise, wind noise, incredibly low, and even traffic noise is quiet. This is one quiet and refined car.

The interior also seems beautifully made, with great switch gear, and, for me anyway, more comfortable seats.

In fact, the Audi certainly seemed more like I was looking for. Quiet, refined, same solid feel that I like in my golf, and I really liked the car.

Ok, so that's my impression of the test drives. I obviously preferred the Audi by some margin, but it's a personal thing; I suspect the lexus just wasn't quite what I was looking for.

One amusing footnote to the above - having driven two good, compact exec cars the one thing that surprised me is how good my golf is. Neither of the two was in any way what I would call streets ahead of my current car - which is comfy, nice interior and perfectly adequate. I know I have been disatisfied with the interior build quality, but nothing is perfect I guess. In summary, I now find myself in a bit of a quandry as to whether the audi is worth the 14k trade in it would cost to buy it, or whether to stick with my golf for a few years! It's a tricky choice.

Ok, that's it. I have no intention of stirring up a debate, I'm posting this really as I was asked to post my impressions and felt it a worthwhile thing to do especially after you were so helpful answering my questions. I hope you guys don't take my criticism of the car badly - you obviously love your cars, and I don't blame you, the lexus is fantastic if you're after what it offers. I guess it just wasn't quite for me.

Cheers,

David

I too have just test driven a Lexus this weekend (IS200 SE).

I, however, am coming from a slightly different angle.

I'm looking to change from my Subaru Impreza turbo to something at little less "in your face".

I, like you, found that the car had both strong and week points. I for one found the car to be not that fast or have as much low down torque as I would have liked (that could just be cos I'm spoilt with my current car). I was very impressed with the handling though, I really didn't think it would come near to the Scooby and although it wasn't as chuckable it felt solid and provided heaps of feedback. I found the suspension to be firm, but not too harsh, again this is compared to my current car, which can make any road feel like a rally stage.

The build quality I found to be very good and certainly the car I drove had no rattles or squeeks. Interior was very nice and I loved the electric everything :D and heated seats.

Now comes one of the best bits for me, the stereo system. I thought it was superb as standard equipment and the 6 disc front mounted CD is soooooo handy.

I agree with a lot of what David said and can understand his dislikes given the car he is looking to change from.

In my case I'm thinking that the SE is going to offer me a good balance of the things I'm looking for. Handling and reasonable performance with more luxury and toys to amuse me while I come to terms with not having my "heart in your mouth" performance anymore.

Like GRiM said it just goes to show that different people want and expect different things from their cars. Putting greater importance on certain areas than others. Finally it just goes to show how views can differ when looking to change from very different cars.

Mojo:D

Excellent detailed comments, not sure I agree as you are not comparing apples with apples, was the drive carried out over the same roads with the same weather conditions???

Tyre Noise, No matter how much Lexus NVH engineers try to make the interior noise levels as low as possible, they restricted by the tyre manufactures. The Lexus Test car that covered 10000 miles could be on it's second set of tyres. No matter what make of tyre is on the car when you pick up your new car you can never buy OEM replacements. The reason for this is The manufacture (Lexus) specifiy a certain specification of tyre compound. When you buy replacement tyres the tyre manufacture specifies the compound to be suitable for more than one type of make of car and model.

As for the comparasion with VW and Audi,

VW owns Audi and the floor pan and underpinning for A4 is based of the Golf. What you get with Audi is a VW with different body shell and interior.

Anyway, it's already been menitioned we are all different and want different things from are cars. So long as you are happy with what you buy, that's all that matters

Hi Guys,

I have to admit that I was disappointed with the car after my first test drive. That was almost two years ago but the all round package that the car offered meant that it was still ideal for me and eventually, after about 18 months, I had to get one.

The main complaint I had was that when I drove a Sport model at the dealers it's performance didn't impress me at all. Since getting my second hand SE though I have to eat my words. I can only presume that the brand new models are need loosening up!!

Any way I am very happy now.

The IS200 has all the things I want in a car as standard and the look of it still makes me feel a good.

Perhaps this is due to what is familiar??? I too test drove the Lexus and straight after it the Audi, but with a different result and opinion........ could it be that I am coming from driving Japanese cars, and you from driving German???

It is surprising how differently people can view things - I found the interior and build of the Audi disappointing and plasticy - you found it better than the Lexus..... so I can only assume it is due to my being more familiar with Japanese 'plastics' and you to the german 'plastics' ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links