Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just A Couple Of Questions

First question, i know a manual doesn't have kickdown, but im sure my car feels like it does. thing is i can't find the kickdown when i try to when driving, only when i am at rest and have the time to feel my way down the accelerator properly. Has anyone heard of this b4?

Second question, I don't think the car starts very well. It always takes a couple of seconds to start up, it isn't instant like i thought it should be, but today it took about 5 seconds to start, and even then i had to give it a good rev to get it going (only to about 4000 revs cause the engine was cold). Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance

I've never noticed a kick down thingy on my manual IS. I'll have a feel of it tomorrow although I don't think I'll discover a kick down position. :driving:

A couple of months ago I started to have problems starting my car and over a period of weeks it was getting worse. I suspected the Battery and had it replaced and now starts perfectly first time. It could be the Battery. :huh:

There shouldn't be any "kickdown" effect on a manual - not sure what you're describing but it almost sounds like your throttle is sticking?

Bad starting is quite common (if you do a search you'll probably find lots of threads on it) - not sure why though. Mine only did it now and again, not often enough to really be a problem.

Kind of embarrassing when your Lexus won't start though :o

Are you experiencing the VVTi effect (my term ;)) at about 4500rpm?  My IS200 used to 'surge' around there.

Pete

Nope, it is definately not that. It is hard to feel whilst driving, but if u turn ur engine off, and slowly push the throttle in, there is a definate step, which feels to me like kickdown. it just isn't as definate whilst driving. theoretically though, it can have no real effect, becuase in an auto kickdown just selects the highest gear possible, no matter how close to the redline, as opposed to not actually kicking down but using the throttle, where the computer decides how much power you need and alters gear accordingly.

The car is literally aout a month and a half old, and was brand new to start with. Why is there such a problem with engine starting?

If the engine/ignition is off then the you may be able to feel the throttle being opened which only occurs when you press the pedal down half way (this may be the step you are talking about?)

Normally when the engine is running the electronic control is opening the throttle not the accelerator cable, which is only there as a fail safe.

I have an auto and can't say I've ever actually felt as though there was any difference in the pedal when kicking down, feels the same all the way down. Prob jus got no sense in my foot :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links