Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Painting Calipers

kamlex

i had my calipers replaced so before the new ones were fitted i painted them ( black), i used a high temp paint, but to be perfectly honest i dont think you need to,( under normal driving conditions that is).

I would recommend an epoxy type paint though as it is more durable or household radiator enamel would be fine.

Painting them on the car wouldnt be too hard, i say this as then you dont have to ***** around bleeding them afterwards, get some axle stands and support the car ,use 4 if you can. by the time you have painted the 4th caliper the first one would be dry. when cleaning use a detergent and a stiff brush or some saftey solvent so you dont knacker the seals!!!

if you are applying the stickers make sure you use a laquer over the top of everything - easier to clean and dtops them from peeling at the jet wash.

[Edited on 21-4-2002 by fluff34567]

I have used Smoothright to paint all my calipers since my first car in 1999. It's easy to apply and you don't need to be to pernikity about cleaning as it goes on even if they are a little dirty. The finish lasts for about 1 to 2 years depending on colour choice, before needing a re-coat. Handle the heat well too, I have had zero peeling.

smoothrite is like hammerite but does not have the hammered effect of.........well you get the point

ive always used normal car paint,but just made sure everything is clean

the caliper paints you can buy are just as good though,all depends how good a finish you want

• 2 months later...

OK opinions please - how long to leave the hammerite smooth to dry before applying the caliper stickers and clear coat?

1. The 1-3 hrs between coats drying time of the hammerite?

2. The 6 weeks curing time of the hammerite?

3. Or just a day or two so that it's good and dry?

HI There

I just painted my callipers last week. – What a job! I was going to use Hammerite paint but having spoken to the manufacturers, I decided against it. It appears that the main advantage of Hammerite is that it does not need a primer and can be used on rusted or other damaged surfaces without much preparation. The downsides are that it is not a heat resisting paint and the lacquer should not be applied until the full curing process, i.e. 6 weeks. From my understanding, if an additional coat of paint or lacquer is put on before the full curing process, the gloss finish will be dulled.

In the end, I used Halfords Heat resisting engine paint, with an oil based lacquer over the calliper stickers. It took me four days to complete.

Day 1 – Clean and power wash the callipers THOROUGHLY. Allow to dry

Day 2 – 1st coat of paint

Day 3 – 2nd coat of paint

Day 4 - Apply calliper stickers and lacquer

Day 5 – Stand back and admire !!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps. Any questions, let me know.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Andy_IS200

Does anyone know of or can recommend a paint based lacquer that can be used on the calipers such that the job could be done without the hassle of removing them and bleeding the brakes etc?

Andy

:)

I did my calipers without removing them using the Folatek kit - just use a small brush and be careful - no problems at all.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links