Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Manufacturers Standard Grille

HI,

whilst washing and cleaning my car today i noticed yet more stone chips to the front of my car this time to the standard lexus grille.

Now my question is the grille looks like its black enamel over metal, i can see little shiny bits of metal under the enamel but does anyone know what the metal is.

Coz if its stainless steel then i might consider removing the enamel seen as though its coming off anyhow to leave a stainless grille.

better still has anyone done it and can tell me how to do it. :duh:

i know your gonna say buy a new grille but i want to spend my cash on different mods later in the year and my mod fund is very low. :crybaby:

now then don you have got me thinking

its typical it falls off at the mearest sight of a stone but when you try to get it off i bet its bloody hard work, its not exactly a smooth area to work on either full of holes it may require some thought before i attempt this project, i mean wire wool will just wreck the chrome and its not gonna be easy without anything abrasive to work with

That does look surprisingly good, not sure I'd have the patience to do it properly tho. Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why they chrome them, and then coat them in enamel?

I had a look at my grill and it looks like its all plastic! there is chrome around the edge of the grill and the L logo is chrome but everything else is a dark grey. I was just wondering is my grill the same as the type of grill you guys are talking about. My car is a 2001 Lexus IS200. I saw on another site that someone used Nitromors Car Paint remover to get that enamel off. I remember years ago that by putting neat bleach in the bath it took the enamel off! Just a thought! I knew that mistake may come in handy one day!!!

Thanks guys!

I had a look at my grill and it looks like its all plastic! there is chrome around the edge of the grill and the L logo is chrome but everything else is a dark grey. I was just wondering is my grill the same as the type of grill you guys are talking about. My car is a 2001 Lexus IS200. I saw on another site that someone used Nitromors Car Paint remover to get that enamel off. I remember years ago that by putting neat bleach in the bath it took the enamel off! Just a thought! I knew that mistake may come in handy one day!!!

Thanks guys!

Does your grill have three or four lines horizontal?

HI,

whilst washing and cleaning my car today i noticed yet more stone chips to the front of my car this time to the standard lexus grille.

Now my question is the grille looks like its black enamel over metal, i can see little shiny bits of metal under the enamel but does anyone know what the metal is.

Coz if its stainless steel then i might consider removing the enamel seen as though its coming off anyhow to leave a stainless grille.

better still has anyone done it and can tell me how to do it.  :duh:

i know your gonna say buy a new grille but i want to spend my cash on different mods later in the year and my mod fund is very low.  :crybaby:

Just out of interest, is your grill the facelift type on the later IS 200 or the older one? The later grills have only 3 strips going from one side to the other and the older ones have 4. Do you follow me???

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links