Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fitting New Front Discs & Pads

squarehead

Thinking of changing my front discs & pads on my own (not with Pam :P )

Need a confidence boost - is it really easy (I can change a tyre, change my aircon filter, remove the stereo face to feed a PDA cable etc etc so I'm a little adventourous)...

So, can anybody really say that changing the discs & pads is really easy, I've read the forum and am convinced I can do it myself - not found the Knowledgebase though). I just fancy saving myself a load of wonga - the dealers are quoting £280 to do it.

Thanks in advance!

I changed mine on the IS was very easy, but I did have a problem undoing the bolts on the caliper. had to use a 3ft long breaker bar !!!

but after that. no problem, took around 2 hours to do both sides and I replaced the discs and pads. follow the advise above and you'll be fine.

you could take some photo's along the way and make a guide for others :)

Yeah I could take some photo's f*****g it up as I go along - Pistons, fuel reservoir, I think I'll leave it to the experts.

What if something goes wrong - Do I call the RAC !!!!!!!!!!!

Lol :D :D :D

Seriously, although ive never done it on my IS iI have sorted friends and families cars on a few occassions. Sure the principal is the same and I will be doing mine when the time comes. Just get amongst it!!!

If anything, Id much rather do the brakes than removing the head unit!! Wouldnt know hwere to start!! :crybaby:

Had a bit of good news with the discs today, decided to take it to Lexus Chester and have the discs & pads replaced. Turns out the discs were covered under warranty (car is 2 1/2 yrs old with 52k) so I didn't have to pay for them!!!

Only had to pay £37 for the pads - back of the net!

My next question is why did Lexus Stockport quote me £300 to replace them when Chester did it under warranty - any ideas ???? Opens a can of worms me thinks!

• 1 month later...

I tried to do my own front discs but gave up after 90 mins when I couldn't budge the bolts holding the calipers on!! Boy them things are tight!!

My tip - make sure you've got a good spanner set and can get a decent length bar in there for extra leverage coz if you got a toy socket set like mine then those bolts might just beat ya!!

Anyway, I got a mechanic mate to do it - got all the good tools. He swapped front discs/pads and rear pads for a neat £50 - saved me the hastle and some money (compared to Lexus)

easiest way to get tight caliper bolts off is give them a saoak with wd40 for a few houras or even do it the night before doesn't matter if u get it on the disc and pads if you are changing them and on reassembly use some copper or aluminium slip

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links