Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official New 2006 Is Topic

Just done the maths for leasing a company 220d-SE versus 520D SE both with sat-nav/bluetooth and the leasing prices for lexus seem very high. A £30,000 IS has monthly lease rates of 4year=630, 3year=720, 2year=850 where as a £30000 5series is 4year=600, 3year=640, 2year=690. While the IS has a few extra features, the leasing difference is too high for me to go with it (unfortunatly) so looks like it may have to be the 5series for me. Only hope is that i have used leasing values for IS 250 and maybe when 220d lease pricing is released by Leaseplan, they may be closer to the bmw. BTW The leasing costs for a 3series are even better than 5series... Maybe its because lexus are not a major player in company car's at the moment.....

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just tested UK version of 2006 IS250 SE-L Automatic

As a former BMW 3-Series owner let me give you my perspectives of the new IS250.

Exterior and interior quality overwhelms you the moment you set eyes upon it. As good as the car looks in photographs, no picture really does it justice. Its sculpted surfaces look absolutely stunning in the metal. It's definitely a design that catches the eye of other road users. Compared to the ugly 3-Series which looks dull, dowdy and un-integrated in comparison, this is definitely round one to the Lexus.

The driving position is excellent with good views all round. The central and door arm rests enable you to sit very naturally and comfortably in the car. The steering wheel is adjustable for reach and rake and moves in and out to aid entry and exit from the vehicle. The leather seats envelop you and seem almost infinitely adjustable. The fit and finish is the best I've ever seen in a production car. Man, this thing makes even an S-Class look dowdy. The highlight of the interior, apart from the sheer quality of materials used, is the SatNav screen. In fact, I urge anyone who is planning to buy an IS to have this option fitted. The latest generation of SatNav system is the clearest and most intuitively easy to use one I've experienced, (i.e. versus comparitive systems in new A6, new Merc CLS and BMW 3-Series with i-drive.) The screen quality when playing DVDs is impressive. The surround sound system is equally stunning. The overall impression of the cabin is a serene cocoon that totally spoils the occupants. The sheer amount of electronic goodies offered is way beyond anything I've seen in any German car.

In motion, you are well insulated from exterior noise. This is a mini limo in every sense. The elimination of noise, vibration and harshness is unprcedented in a car within this class. The view forward and around the car is good and I wasn't aware of any blind spots.

Now let's get serious: driving impressions. This is not a hard edged driving instrument with tyre-shredding acceleration. But then it's not meant to be. It is about effortless progression. While the Lexus IS may not have 300+ bhp, it's no slouch. I didn't realise how fast I was going until the sales rep next to me coughed loudly. So be careful, this car is deceptively quick. At no time did it ever feel under-powered.

It corners neatly and I found the steering wheel to be communicative and direct without ever needing to fight it or adjust it mid-turn. The ride is firm but well damped. To me it provides a perfect balance between comunicative preciseness and comfort. The suspension has the kind of maturity you usually only find in much more sophisticated Benzes. I have no doubt that this will be a great car for long distance trans-European cruising. It feels as if it will simply demolish the miles.

The automatic gearbox is so good that I honestly wonder why anyone would ever want a manual one. Unlike our American cousins, who can't seem to get the hang of paddle-shifters mounted onto the steering wheel, I found them easy to use. You really can rev this thing hard and it will hold a gear. It didn't change up, even when I went right up to the rev limit. The changes down were unbelievably smooth; so much so that the car seemed to be matching the revs perfectly on downshifts. Very clever.

On the road, the car feels very planted and secure. As a rear-wheel driver, it imparts an excellent feeling of being connected with the car's chassis. It is agile and responsive, yet has excellent composure. It will take a lot to unsettle this car, even when cornering in the wet like today. The level of grip was completely reassuring. This is an easy car to drive and does not make any unreasonable demands of the driver. That said, you can have fun with it and push hard when you want to - safe in the knowledge that it is fully loaded with enough electronic safety features to correct even the most reckless of maneuvrers. I couldn't really 'push the envelope' on my brief test drive, but sensed it had much in reserve.

The engine is smooth and refined. It revs willingly and I had no problem pulling away from traffic lights in 3rd. If the 250 is this good, the 350 must be a monster. (Shame we're not getting it, but that's another story.)

You can engage as much or as little in the driving experience as you wish. Either way, this car seems to flatter your abilities and obey your inputs with alacrity.

In summary then, I have to say that this car is superb beast. It really pushes the game on in the category, and I have no hesitation in saying that I would prefer this car over a BMW 3-Series any day. This car does a great job in convicing you that there is much more to driving pleasure than than lurid tail slides and straight-line acceleration. On a practical note, you immediately sense that this will be an extremely easy machine to live with on a day-to-day basis.

Of course, it isn't perfect and it does have two glaring faults. One is rear cabin legroom, which is an inch too short. The other is the boot, which about the only area where a BMW outpoints it.

The new IS is simply a scaled down GS. So if space is a priority to you, go for the GS. Personally, I prefer the styling of the IS and am prepared to put up with its space deficiencies for the sake of having a car that is smaller and thus easier to drive around town. I don't think anyone who buys this car will be disappointed. I think the boys in Munich will thinking hard in between drowning their sorrows and getting bollocked by the Quandt Family. The IS comprehensively out-classes the new 3-Series. Let's hope at least one motoring journalist has the courage to admit it.

Can't wait to get mine.

Just tested UK version of 2006 IS250 SE-L Automatic

As a former BMW 3-Series owner let me give you my perspectives of the new IS250.

Exterior and interior quality overwhelms you the moment you set eyes upon it. As good as the car looks in photographs, no picture really does it justice. Its sculpted surfaces look absolutely stunning in the metal. It's definitely a design that catches the eye of other road users. Compared to the ugly 3-Series which looks dull, dowdy and un-integrated in comparison, this is definitely round one to the Lexus.

The driving position is excellent with good views all round. The central and door arm rests enable you to sit very naturally and comfortably in the car. The steering wheel is adjustable for reach and rake and moves in and out to aid entry and exit from the vehicle. The leather seats envelop you and seem almost infinitely adjustable. The fit and finish is the best I've ever seen in a production car. Man, this thing makes even an S-Class look dowdy. The highlight of the interior, apart from the sheer quality of materials used, is the SatNav screen. In fact, I urge anyone who is planning to buy an IS to have this option fitted. The latest generation of SatNav system is the clearest and most intuitively easy to use one I've experienced, (i.e. versus comparitive systems in new A6, new Merc CLS and BMW 3-Series with i-drive.) The screen quality when playing DVDs is impressive. The surround sound system is equally stunning. The overall impression of the cabin is a serene cocoon that totally spoils the occupants. The sheer amount of electronic goodies offered is way beyond anything I've seen in any German car.

In motion, you are well insulated from exterior noise. This is a mini limo in every sense. The elimination of noise, vibration and harshness is unprcedented in a car within this class.  The view forward and around the car is good and I wasn't aware of any blind spots.

Now let's get serious: driving impressions. This is not a hard edged driving instrument with tyre-shredding acceleration.  But then it's not meant to be. It is about effortless progression. While the Lexus IS may not have 300+ bhp, it's no slouch. I didn't realise how fast I was going until the sales rep next to me coughed loudly. So be careful, this car is deceptively quick. At no time did it ever feel under-powered.

It corners neatly and I found the steering wheel to be communicative and direct without ever needing to fight it or adjust it mid-turn. The ride is firm but well damped. To me it provides a perfect balance between comunicative preciseness and comfort. The suspension has the kind of maturity you usually only find in much more sophisticated Benzes. I have no doubt that this will be a great car for long distance trans-European cruising.  It feels as if it will simply demolish the miles.

The automatic gearbox is so good that I honestly wonder why anyone would ever want a manual one.  Unlike our American cousins, who can't seem to get the hang of paddle-shifters mounted onto the steering wheel, I found them easy to use.  You really can rev this thing hard and it will hold a gear.  It didn't change up, even when I went right up to the rev limit. The changes down were unbelievably smooth; so much so that the car seemed to be matching the revs perfectly on downshifts. Very clever.

On the road, the car feels very planted and secure. As a rear-wheel driver, it imparts an excellent feeling of being connected with the car's chassis. It is agile and responsive, yet has excellent composure.  It will take a lot to unsettle this car, even when cornering in the wet like today. The level of grip was completely reassuring. This is an easy car to drive and does not make any unreasonable demands of the driver. That said, you can have fun with it and push hard when you want to - safe in the knowledge that it is fully loaded with enough electronic safety features to correct even the most reckless of maneuvrers. I couldn't really 'push the envelope' on my brief test drive, but sensed it had much in reserve.

The engine is smooth and refined. It revs willingly and I had no problem pulling away from traffic lights in 3rd. If the 250 is this good, the 350 must be a monster. (Shame we're not getting it, but that's another story.)

You can engage as much or as little in the driving experience as you wish. Either way, this car seems to flatter your abilities and obey your inputs with alacrity.

In summary then, I have to say that this car is superb beast. It really pushes the game on in the category, and I have no hesitation in saying that I would prefer this car over a BMW 3-Series any day. This car does a great job in convicing you that there is much more to driving pleasure than than lurid tail slides and straight-line acceleration. On a practical note, you immediately sense that this will be an extremely easy machine to live with on a day-to-day basis.

Of course, it isn't perfect and it does have two glaring faults. One is rear cabin legroom, which is an inch too short. The other is the boot, which about the only area where a BMW outpoints it.

The new IS is simply a scaled down GS. So if space is a priority to you, go for the GS. Personally, I prefer the styling of the IS and am prepared to put up with its space deficiencies for the sake of having a car that is smaller and thus easier to drive around town. I don't think anyone who buys this car will be disappointed. I think the boys in Munich will thinking hard in between drowning their sorrows and getting bollocked by the Quandt Family. The IS comprehensively out-classes the new 3-Series. Let's hope at least one motoring journalist has the courage to admit it.

Can't wait to get mine.

Great review Tailpipe.........You should work for the motoring press!!!!

I'm so glad someone has finally had the chance to experience what all the fuss has been about.

Tailpipe, you now must have a totally different perspective on peoples comments that grumble about the price.

I'm sure you will agree with me that even though it is less expensive than the competition spec for spec, it's vastly superior quality and precison engineering justifies it to be more expensive, which it isn't!

I hope you enjoy your new car!

is there any need for an extended warranty system once it gets outside teh 60 000 mile usuage or three years? I have to travel frequently to various hospitals as a doctor...and hence, am awaiting my Nov 21st delivery

To be honest mate that is something that you won't be able to answer for three years - if it's something that worries you, snap it up, alternatively, chance it and see how reliability turns out - it will be interesting to see how many recalls there are over the next 36 months (if any)!

Nothing in this world is perfect, and if it was, then everything else would be like it too....

Dear Mole,

I guess the price of the new IS is a step up from the previous one. But Lexus is targeting a very different customer than before. Some previous IS owners will make the jump to the new model easily. For others absolute price maybe a barrier and this is unfortunate.

As I said in my review, the category has moved on. And when you compare the new IS to an equvilently specced BMW, the Lexus is thousands of pounds cheaper. Even the outrageously pro-BMW hacks at Autocar admiited this.

I suspect that the new IS will hold its value very well,especially the IS220D. For that reason, it could make a very good lease option car. Price apart, there is very little to fault on this car. I think it is going to sell very, very well.

I've noticed that a lot of pilots and IT people like the Lexus IS. I wonder what sort of crowd will like the new one?

Dear Mole,

I guess the price of the new IS is a step up from the previous one. But Lexus is targeting a very different customer than before. Some previous IS owners will make the jump to the new model easily. For others absolute price maybe a barrier and this is unfortunate.

As I said in my review, the category has moved on. And when you compare the new IS to an equvilently specced BMW, the Lexus is thousands of pounds cheaper. Even the outrageously pro-BMW hacks at Autocar admiited this.

I suspect that the new IS will hold its value very well,especially the IS220D. For that reason, it could make a very good lease option car.  Price apart, there is very little to fault on this car. I think it is going to sell very, very well.

I've noticed that a lot of pilots and IT people like the Lexus IS. I wonder what sort of crowd will like the new one?

Well here's one pilot that's making the change after my pre-launch test drive today! Superb build quality, exceptional styling and the auto box is the best I've used in any car except perhaps the Ferrari 360. Just need to decide on the colour, Slate or the Blue?? :P

...and I'm in IT with a Canterbury Blue SE-L SatNav on the ocean as I speak - not sure whether it's Pacific, Atlantic or the English Channel so no actual delivery date yet but have seen a print-out with all the details so won't be long.

Took a test drive yesterday and Tailpipe has said it all. Great car with toys galore - and no longer will I need to worry about the English potholes - it glides over them with ease

:D

black!!!

That's the only non-metallic, and it's also the only colour you get for 'free', but I've had black and although it looks great when it's clean, it's a sod to keep it that way. Settled on 'Slate Grey' or whatever the correct name is.

Anyone gone for the cruise/pre-crash option?

black!!!

Anyone gone for the cruise/pre-crash option?

Tango,

I was thinking about this and asked my dealer for more details. He said if you do lots of long journeys on long straight motorways - with the attendant risk of falling asleep - then the cruise/ pre-crash system was probably A Good Thing. Otherwise not to worry. It is the only option i haven't ordered.

I've heard good things about VDIM and if this was offered as an option to manage all the other electronic driver aids, then i might have gone for it. In the USA, it's offered with the IS350.

Think it is the sport mode where you can change up or down manually, can't remember the name.

It's not the power button, thats hidden behind the steering wheel because ive just seen a picture of that on the previous page.

I dont think it would be because it has paddle shift on the steering wheel so i cant belive they would put a button there too.

Oh of couse its the tiptronic, sorry, lexicon posted whilst i was typing lol

There are two ways to change gear manually. The gear leaver is moved to the S position and then you have a choice of either using the paddles on the steering wheel or flicking the gear leaver forward or backwards. Both work in the same way. There is an ECT button behind the steering wheel which will switch in the delayed gear change when in automatic - not sure whether this has any effect when in manual.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links