Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rx300 Mk1 2001 Fuel Economy Question

Hi I have recently purchased a RX300 se Mk1 2001/51 80,000 miles and i am very very pleased with it.

I was expecting slightly better MPG than the trip computer is giving. The computer is suggesting an around town average of 16-17 MPG is this correct?

Can this be improved in anyway without modifying driving style which i think is "normal" anyway?

I have always put slick 50 into every engine i have ever had and plan to do it to the RX as well. Do you think it bennefits?

Also the transmission seems to be quite "whiney" but seems to drive prfect without any slip, is this normal?

Many thanks for your time.

Trans should NOT whine, my RX300SE 2005 has been giving 20.5MPG overal, I am trading it for the new GS300SE in two weeks, fuel costs to high for my liking.I would NOT add any addatives, the car oil is fully synthetic at least on my model and that in it's self should make the most of economy.

I get around 16 - 18 mpg from my GS300 around town and the RX300 se ive had on a loan a few times did seem around the same and I also noticed quite a lot of noise from the gearbox too

My 2002 (100K miles) series 1 usually does 23/25mpg around town & on A roads.

On a longer trip I get 28/30mpg.

I always use supermarket fuel although everyone seems to say that you could improve mpg with branded unleaded.

Great car!........ but saving up for a series 2

I have just checked again....

Average mpg for last 2000 miles (according to the display) is 25.3mpg. This even includes my commuting to work which is only 3 miles of stop/start!

Yesterday I did 250+ miles and the average was just on 30 mpg.

In the interests of scientific research I will fill it up tonight & then drive like a lunatic................. I'll come back to you next week (if i'm still alive) :driving:

Steve..

:angry: I had a loan car (2005 SE-L) from my dealership, used it for 500 Miles and got 25/26MPG around the same roads I use my 2005 RX300SE which gave 20.5MPG!!!, same car same mileage, I am PXing mine because it's crap economy wise!! :crying:

:hehe: One week to go for my GS300SE :lol:

Average mpg for last 2000 miles (according to the display) is 25.3mpg.  This even includes my commuting to work which is only 3 miles of stop/start!

In the interests of scientific research I will fill it up tonight & then drive like a lunatic................. I'll come back to you next week (if i'm still alive)  :driving:

Steve..

Try working out the mpg yourself rather than looking at the fuel computer as I've seen sugestions that it isn't that accurate.

Average mpg for last 2000 miles (according to the display) is 25.3mpg.  This even includes my commuting to work which is only 3 miles of stop/start!

In the interests of scientific research I will fill it up tonight & then drive like a lunatic................. I'll come back to you next week (if i'm still alive)  :driving:

Steve..

Try working out the mpg yourself rather than looking at the fuel computer as I've seen sugestions that it isn't that accurate.

:unsure: You are absolutly right colin, my computer said 24/25MPG, when I brimmed it ran for 250Miles and brimmed it again, it was 20.5MPG, so the computer tells lies :huh:

I have found that it does depend a lot on fuel grade, but also the difference between driving at say 60 mph and 80 mph does alter the fuel consumption considerably.

Needless to say when I did my journey I did not have to hurry as it was a day out for me, so took it easy.

Realspeed

:angry: I had a loan car (2005 SE-L) from my dealership, used it for 500 Miles and got 25/26MPG around the same roads I use my 2005 RX300SE which gave 20.5MPG!!!, same car same mileage, I am PXing mine because it's crap economy wise!! :crying:

I would have waited for the GS450h due out in the Spring of 2006.

Combined power output will be well in excess of 300 horsepower, with zero-to-60 acceleration in less than six seconds. Fuel economy similar to the average 2-litre 4 cylinder compact sedan.

Well that's just me.

I would have waited for the GS450h due out in the Spring of 2006.

Combined power output will be well in excess of 300 horsepower, with zero-to-60 acceleration in less than six seconds. Fuel economy similar to the average 2-litre 4 cylinder compact sedan.

Well that's just me.

:shifty: My mate just got back from spain two weeks ago, he test grove the RX400h and his opinion was it was not sub-6 seconds, more in the low 7's and economy was not that great either! :whistling:

:shifty: My mate just got back from spain two weeks ago, he test grove the RX400h and his opinion was it was not sub-6 seconds, more in the low 7's and economy was not that great either! :whistling:

I was referring to the GS450h, since you had chosen the GS model.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as promised I have manually checked the mpg.............. rather than believe the display!

Over the last 500+ miles the average is.......... 24.9mpg

WELL HAPPY

This has included a 100mile motorway trip but also quite a few boyracer beating traffic light starts.....

I still say..... GREAT CAR (apart from the alloys which are a nightmare!)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links