Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Election's Over

Saw two policemen earlier today standing on my road with a speed gun checking all the cars coming down the road! I understand when they do it on the A406 and other major roads, but on local roads, they must be taking the pi** :angry:

When my car was stolen off my drive they didn't give a to**, and now they want to stand 50 metres from my house and wait for me to pull off my drive and screw me for going slightly over the speed limit :angry::angry: :tsktsk: :angry:

I know there are decent police officers out there, and they're just doing what they're told, but is this what all these guys joined the force to do???

Sorry but it just really pi**ed me off to see those guys there :angry::angry:

sometimes they are only surveying the road

if there are enough complaints

and normally in conjunction with the local authority, they will monitor the road for any possible future enforcement device

we had a local road, which is normally driven too fast, and has resulted in deaths, they stuck up warning notices and speed signs, they then spent the afternoon with a speed gun,

something like 80% of drivers were still speeding ;)

looks like a prime place for a camera :huh:

IMHO - it's much better to have speed traps on local roads than on major raods - I wish there was one outside my kids' school

was gonna post pretty much the same thing mate - if you have to have a copper out with a camera, would rather see them on a residential road, than a dual carriageway.

Yeah I understand what you guys are all saying, but no one really goes that fast down the road anyway, never really more than 40, and for a main road I personally don't think 40 is too fast (as long as you have a decent car with decent brakes)

It was just a bit annoying, because it was just lucky that I was going in the opposite direction

they will monitor the road for any possible future enforcement device

If thats the case, it would explain why there's been two cables on the road at that spot for a few days now.... ;)

If anyone has complained, its more likely to do with these fools on superbikes that I usually see tearing down the street at over 60mph, so if they're the only ones who get done, its all good :winky:

Yeah I understand what you guys are all saying, but no one really goes that fast down the road anyway, never really more than 40, and for a main road I personally don't think 40 is too fast (as long as you have a decent car with decent brakes)

But the thing is mate (and I forget the exact numbers) something like 10% of collisions at 30mph result in death and 90% at 40mph result in death. So doing 40 in a 30 is much more likely to hurt someone than doing (say) 90 on the motorway (especially as there are not people walking around on the pavements on a motorway)

Parthiban, I can assure you that the election has nothing to do with them being there ................

erm... perhaps not the actual officers..

But the whole GATSO on every road, and Saftey camera partenrship is - the latter being the invention of Blair's goverment...

But I have to agree, a residential area is where these need to be... not on motorways and A-roads...

If thats the case, it would explain why there's been two cables on the road at that spot for a few days now.... ;)

Yeh dead give away, speed logging first then out come the guns if the data justifies it.

Also I don't mind speed cameras/guns in residential streets that's where the should be. What hacks me off is motorways and dual carriageways. I picked up 3 points just over a year ago, 2 miles of dead straight motorway, no junctions, hardly any traffic. Van half way down sitting on a bridge got me at 87, saw him and was slowing down. Safety my a**e.

when was the actual speed limits for the uk roads thought up? 30 years ago? (est) when cars had crap brakes, no abs etc (u can see where im going) surly the speed limits should be brought up to date with the technology we got in play today.

there is road outside my house on a hill and a slight bend to the left cars parked on left hand side, u should see the speeds some %£$%! go round that road, common sence and speed cameras need to be brought into play in residential areas

not just cameras

Steve

dont give me a hard time ive only just woke up

I have a heavy right foot, motorways / dual carriageways but try to respect the limits on residential streets. Kids don't know how fast you are going and I don't think that most of them are trained enough on road sense, green cross code etc.

They will run out in front of you and give you the finger when you toot your horn or give them a bit of verbal but doing 40 MPH could kill them. They are dead and YOU have to live with killing a kid, their fault or not. I'm going down the motorway at 90MPH and see the Old Bill on the left lane ,slow down pass him at 70 and when he is out of sight put my foot down again. HE knows I'M going to do that and he isn't going to give me a hard time. He probably does it himself going home from work. I am sure that most police officers would prefer to be out investigating some crime rather than sat by the road pointing a camera at somebody. They are probably put there because some resident has complained to the Chief Constable that people are speeding down his road. I have been done for speeding years ago and the way I see it is if you want to speed and get caught DON'T whinge. Accept it. Get away with it then fair enough. Out of all the times you break the speed limit I bet the fact you get caught once, the odds will probably be a 1000 to 1. So youv'e got away with it 999 times.

That is the way I look at it anyway. Just my 2 penneth'

when was the actual speed limits for the uk roads  thought up? 30 years ago? (est) when cars had crap brakes, no abs etc (u can see where im going) surly the speed limits should be brought up to date with the technology we got in play today.

Maybe mate - but the chavs and chavesses in their small pukey iccle motors are still as ferking stupid as they were 40 years ago

when was the actual speed limits for the uk roads  thought up? 30 years ago? (est) when cars had crap brakes, no abs etc (u can see where im going) surly the speed limits should be brought up to date with the technology we got in play today.

there is  road outside my house on a hill and a slight bend to the left  cars parked on left hand side, u should see the speeds some  %£$%! go round that road, common sence and speed cameras need to be brought into play in residential areas

not just cameras

Steve

dont give me a hard time ive only just woke up

thirty years ago most cars were a lot slower

and there was a lot less cars on the road

and less pedestrians trying to cross roads

nowdays the average wifeymobile is capable of a fair top speed and can accelerate fairly rapidly

people/children travel further afield, thus not in their normal surroundings

motorists also

new technology has brought in faster engines, and better braking systems

but......the human factor is still the same, the brakes on a modern car may well stop you far quicker but it is all down to the driver to react in applying the brakes

in theory the speed limits should be lowered !!!!!!!!!!

and a lot of areas now have the 20mph limits applied

as for motorway driving, in my opinion if people were taught to drive on a motorway in the correct way, using all the lanes as they should be, they would be far safer

i have found the Continental motorways far safer and easier to use, and normally at higher speeds

perhaps the idea of increasing the speed may be introduced, if we could only learn to drive properly first

It's not the limits or being caught speeding that bugs me it's being treated like a 5 year old by the authorities. We are only doing it because of Safety, bricks they are, it's about money. So come clean Camera Safety Partnerships and tell us the truth. Do you really think that if you say it enough people will actually believe you.

Then you get some t****er in Thames Valley coming up that a points scoring system for the police, where IIRC one speeder equals 1/2 a rapist. Course not but one speeder is a net profit, one rapist isn't.

Also I think many people feel that a disproportionate amount of resource is put into catching people speeding, it is after all considered a minor offence.

Not having a go at the police officers on the ground, it's the faceless powers that be that set the policy that are to blame for all this madness.

If some little oik knicks a car he/she will get a slap on the wrists, fined £30 and banned for a further year to run after his/her current 5 year disqual is over. Do 80 in a 70 you get £60 and 3 points. Are the offences equivalent :question:

Anyway off the soap box

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links