Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

29mpg – Official

Well, official to me cos thats what I'm getting afetr 1 months driving.

30% of the miles is motorway.

Anyone else improve on this? I know its pretty standard, but I drive carfully and dont bother with boyracers. Any tips on improving MPG?

Gracias

i get better than that, probably around 35mpg..

But i do a lot of motorway miles..

Best tips, change up before 3k revs...

Cheers mate,

But my fiance cracks up as I reach 4th gear @ 30mph!! :driving:

Guess I could always change girlfriend. :flowers::wub:

i get better than that, probably around 35mpg..

But i do a lot of motorway miles..

Best tips, change up before 3k revs...

Cheers mate,

But my fiance cracks up as I reach 4th gear @ 30mph!! :driving:

Guess I could always change girlfriend. :flowers::wub:

Looks like Figits has got an admirer :P :lol:

FWIW, I get 29MPG out of my auto. :)

Well, official to me cos thats what I'm getting afetr 1 months driving.

30% of the miles is motorway.

Anyone else improve on this? I know its pretty standard, but I drive carfully and dont bother with boyracers. Any tips on improving MPG?

Gracias

Firstly, if it's a newish lex, it will start to get better after the first 3500 miles.

To get more out of your tank, try this.................

When crusing at 70 (I know, seems VERY slow) feather the accelerator and let the speed gradually slow down to 65, then speed up to 75, and repeat.

When setting off from roundabouts, accelerate hard to get to the speed you want to be at and then feather acclerator again.

This was, however, 1/4 unleaded, 3/4 Optimax

I think the three key things are:

1. get to the speed you want to be at ASAP. Don't go through the gears.

2. Engine brake: AFAIK, when coasting in gear with no feet on the peddles, so long as the revs are above a safe RPM, the ECU cuts the fuel

3. Do the speed up, slow down naturally thing. I think that's the key thing.

For the first 1/2 a tank, sitting at 70 produced just less than 40mpg on the gauge. After that, it was slightly more, probably due to the lesser weight of fuel being carried.

the varying speed would make economy worse, it takes a lot more energy to accelerate than to stay at a constant speed, any gains made coasting are lost by accelerating (note. a new engine shouldn't be run at a constant rpm for overly long periods to help prevent glazing of the bores). accelerating to your desired speed as fast as possible is also bad for economy. for best economy you should

1. aim to change into top gear as quickly as possible without labouring the engine

2. everytime you use your brakes you have to use energy to get back up to your desired speed, so anticipate bends and roundabouts and aim to coast to slowdown rather than brake (mercedes has a system which gently vibrates the accelerator pedal to let you know when to ease off using GPS to locate bends etc.)

3. try to keep moving in slow traffic even if you have to leave a big gap from the car in front.

4. aircon uses 2-3mpg, as does open windows and roof.

5. autos are typically 3-5mpg worse than manual cars.

6. underinflated tyres can cost 2+mpg.

7. driving like the above is really boring and if you need to worry about a few mpg, then best get a diesel.

the varying speed would make economy worse, it takes a lot more energy to accelerate than to stay at a constant speed....

You'd think so....

From http://home.earthlink.net/~graham1/MyToyot...ing/Economy.htm

"Pulse driving is an advanced (probably extreme, definitely eccentric) technique that may (or may not) increase fuel economy (at the expense of comfort and safety). You can get some details by searching for the phrase "pulse driving" in the yahoo discussion group toyota-prius, but you probably won't want to after reading the following.

Suppose you want to get from A to B on a clear road at an average of 60 mph. A normal person would get the car up to 60 and more-or-less stay there for the journey. A pulse driver would floor the accelerator until the car reached 70 mph and then release it completely to stop the ICE. Then he'd tickle the pedal trying to get the car to coast with a bit of electric power but not starting the ICE. When the speed drops to 50, he'd floor it again back up to 70 and repeat. He averages 60 (assuming he doesn't get stopped by the police) just as you did, but arrives at the destination having used (he claims) less gas. Of course, he may also be totally stressed out from concentrating hard and his passengers may hate him. You may be able to tell that personally I'm not in favor of this kind of pulse driving."

this ' pulse driving ' is refering to a toyota prius (it's a hybrid with electric motors) not a regular motor. also his views on acceleration are his personal views, although they can't possible be as he says in a normal petrol engined car, hard acceleration has to use more fuel, putting it basically, the higher the engine is reving, the more fuel it uses.

I'm sorry but this is becoming a JOKE!

Change up under 3k revs, don't speed! You drive a petrol 24v twin cam, 6 pot and it sounds good when revved (and it cost you a lot of money)

- So enjoy it don't drive it like your Nan!

I'm sorry but this is becoming a JOKE!

Change up under 3k revs, don't speed! You drive a petrol 24v twin cam, 6 pot and it sounds good when revved  (and it cost you a lot of money)

- So enjoy it don't drive it like your Nan!

lol I too like to gain as much MPG as I can most of the time (even drive with trip on so I can monitor it), but c'mon, you can't help but blip the throttle now and then and feel the G's. It's what brings back the boyish grin you had the day you bought the car :D you know the feeling, you probably got that grin on your face right now, just thinking about it....

am I right or am I right....

whenever i fill up my intention is to keep it smooth and save some juice, and try to get 400m outa this tankfull,  but i always end up bouncing off the rev limiter.

Only 400 miles? :P

I get 400 miles on a bad day! Best I've had is 550 :)

And I red line it twice to get to 70mph!

whenever i fill up my intention is to keep it smooth and save some juice, and try to get 400m outa this tankfull,  but i always end up bouncing off the rev limiter.

Only 400 miles? :P

I get 400 miles on a bad day! Best I've had is 550 :)

And I red line it twice to get to 70mph!

550 :o omg you must be running it well dry, (unless my tank has imploded to the size of a small thing due to the huge vacuum that builds up) i normally average 30mpg, down to 27 if i'm going for it, up to 33 if i take it easy (ish).

Warning - Boring hat on, Boy Racer Scowl in Glove Box at the moment.

I sometimes use a fixed throttle opening rather than a constant speed.

This way going down a hill I'll speed up and then slow down on the way back up. Alternatively thrash it down the hill and cruise up the other side.

Tailgateing - err I mean slip streaming. Well what else are these big *bleep* 4x4's for if not for making a nice big 'whole' in the air.

The down is probably a few more stone chips on the bonnet.

(Can you tell I cycle a bit)

Warning - Boring hat on, Boy Racer Scowl in Glove Box at the moment.

I sometimes use a fixed throttle opening rather than a constant speed.

This way going down a hill I'll speed up and then slow down on the way back up. Alternatively thrash it down the hill and cruise up the other side.

Do exactly the same.... works wonders!

Tailgateing - err I mean slip streaming. Well what else are these big *bleep* 4x4's for if not for making a nice big 'whole' in the air.

The down is probably a few more stone chips on the bonnet.

(Can you tell I cycle a bit)

I used to do exactly the same whilst cycling although stopped when I doscovered it made your snot black!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links