Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The New Mot

By the end of this year all testing stations will be set-up to the new "Big Brother" style of MOT, your 3yld car is at risk: the final structure is still to be released but here are the facts so far.

1: The test will still consist of a multi-point check list to guide the tester through the required elements for wear and tear.

2: The brake performance and the gas emissions will be sent directly to the regulator during the test "live"

3: The result of the test will be typed directly to the M.O.T via computer "live"

4: You will "NO" longer have an MOT certificate only a piece of paper stating you have had a test.

5: The result of the test will be held on computer, so now the Police and all cameras will know if the car has the right to be on the road.

Also there are some future plans regarding the test...

1: A two year MOT: Currently the car can pass an MOT but still have "advisorys" this means something is worn and will need attention before the next test, but at the time of test is a "pass", under the "two" year test all advisorys will fail.

2: The cost for an MOT will be uniform, no discounted prices.

3: In an attempt to promote safety the fee for a re-test will cost more than the inital test. (no free re-test allowed)

Thats it... some parts make sense ie: no MOT= no insurance, but i feel the law abiding citizen like you and me will pay through the nose for this.

What do you think!

Actually I agree with most of it...anything that drives cars with dodgy MOT's off road is good, same with shutting down MOT stations that just hand out passes all the time.

Putting everything on a computer should have been done years ago....should take out people with forged MOT's etc from getting insurance.

Nothing to stop garages offering "pre-MOT's"...so still ways to get round paying twice.

i like the idea of modernising the MOT/ insurance/ tax relationship.

that should mean that only legal,properly paid for, covered and safe vehicles are on the road, such as my hard earned one.

however i disagree completely with the charging strategy as i think it will backfire massively and compound the issue on one major point..............

the more expensive you make something, the more likely people ("customers") will not pay for it.

SIMPLE and basic customer/service/management issues.

Now given that fundamental reasoning, it follows that more people will therefore have to break the law (or will actively do it) to avoid the exorbitant costs, which subsequently means you will need to have more bureacracy and policing of it.

Where will this manpower/budget come from?

Recently, 9 e-mails to the DVLA regarding a 3.5 month unlicenced vehicle on the road were not followed up, and the driver got away scot free, whereas I paid for mine!!

So if the current system does not work, how will charging "customers" far more under the new system, with more stringent rules, improve it without consequently massively increasing policing resources?

People will actively seek to dodge the higher charges by modifying the vehicle identities, and because there has been a dramatic reduction in Active Policing (replaced by passive/static dumb policing--gatso), there will be a marked surge in dangerous/illegal vehicles on our roads.

Mark my words, this will backfire because they have missed a simple logic.

To encourage greater public compliance and legality, the government and legislation needs to ensure that whatever measures are implemented are not costed or complicated beyond the ability and acceptance of the governed.

The Government must ensure that any policy is positively accepted by the populace, which encourages take-up, not arbitrarily dictated to the detriment of the majority.

As an example---which do you really, truthfully object to; having an ID card, or being forced to pay for it? :tsktsk:

The MOT should be strict (IMHO) and should be applied in such a way that death-traps are removed from the road. I would say that 3yr old vehicles should be OK but those approaching 10yrs old should be given extra scrutiny.

That alone would surely reduce congestion ?

Any vehicle not MOT'd after say 30 days from the due date and caught on the road without a valid excuse should be crushed.

Part of the test as I understand it is the checking of the headlight alignment and yet in the Winter I see 'many' vehicles with headlights pointing all over the place !

Either they all have not been checked in the last year or the tester is incompetent ?

Get them off the road :driving:

You should come over to N.Ireland for your MOT sometime and then you will know all about it. We have specific MOT centres instead of just qualified garages etc and everything is done by computer. They are very strict and are getting worse!!!

Believe it or not, you guys have it easy over there compared to us.

In an attempt to promote safety the fee for a re-test will cost more than the inital test. (no free re-test allowed)

How does that promote safety? Most people can't/will not be able to check everything on their car that will be tested to make sure it's okay, so get scammed for more money.

I'm meticulous with checking my car, but it recently failed on the front lower ball joints without any warning, so I get penalised for something I had no idea about despite how careful I am with maintaining my car.

(If only I had a decent sized garage with ramps at home.)

Actually I agree with most of it...

Nothing to stop garages offering "pre-MOT's"...so still ways to get round paying twice.

"How" can this be? since 99% of an MOT is "appinionated" no pre-MOT can be a matter of fact...? in your opinion how would you discribe "worn to excess"

"How" can this be? since 99% of an MOT is "appinionated" no pre-MOT can be a matter of fact...? in your opinion how would you discribe "worn to excess"

if you get an MOT failure slip. get the work done, and get it back to the same garage in 7 days. the re-test is free.

if you get an MOT failure slip. get the work done, and get it back to the same garage in 7 days. the re-test is free.

thats one of the points, the re-test in the future will cost more than the inital test "free" will be a thing of the past, this is a form of punishment for driving a "defective" car.

So you put the gar into garage.. they get same guys that will do MOT to do a pre-MOT check..and fix everything prior to going on and passing the MOT first time... happens that way already. Not as if they cant arrange to "pre-book" a slot easily.

Worn to excess..right now your get warnings when items are not failing, but liable to do so.. they just turn these into fails. Probably find there is a lot of specs on tellerences alloweed by the manufacturers.

In my opinion if things are "worn to excess"...they should be failed anyway.

So you put the gar into garage.. they get same guys that will do MOT to do a pre-MOT check..and fix everything prior to going on and passing the MOT first time... happens that way already. Not as if they cant arrange to "pre-book" a slot easily.

Worn to excess..right now your get warnings when items are not failing, but liable to do so.. they just turn these into fails. Probably find there is a lot of specs on tellerences alloweed by the manufacturers.

"Worn to excess" is 100% oppionated in an MOT. On a "two" year test that oppinion will cost £sss, i agree if its worn replace it "damm" right , but as things stand the manufactures tollerances will "not" be part of the testers oppioion for the future MOT.

"Worn to excess" is 100% oppionated in an MOT. On a "two" year test that oppinion will cost £sss, i agree if its worn replace it "damm" right , but as things stand the manufactures tollerances will "not" be part of the testers oppioion for the future MOT.

Sounds like something that needs corrected, should be a spec so that things are not the opinion of anybody..it should be a straight matter of pass / fail.

would have hoped they had thought of such things before they change the rukes...but then again it is the government and not sure they think things through before introducing such changes..

thats one of the points, the re-test in the future will cost more than the inital test "free" will be a thing of the past, this is a form of punishment for driving a "defective" car.

and how does one know if they have a defective part untill its inspected.... chicken and egg.... well for egg i feel...

and how does one know if they have a defective part untill its inspected.... chicken and egg.... well for egg i feel...

I agree. i hope these points of "punishment" are just in areas like, lights, tyres, horn and so on? What "worries" me is the fact every detail of the cars condition is avalible on request "live" ...Example: MOT today 7th June monitured live by the M.O.T all details avalible to the police: driving perfectly legal :unsure: "blues and twos"? why....on MOT test my nsr tyre was on 1.6mm the ( legal limit ) at that time it passed the test, so it would be fair to assume by 7th July its below the limit "nicked" 3 points and up to £1500 fine (one tyre)... What the M.O.T are doing is giving your car a mobile "BAR CODE"......

So what's to stop a bent MOT'er putting a different car on the rolling road for the brake test?

"Valid" point, seemingly only the tester :unsure: The main element here is not the test, but the outcome, "your" car will have a "dog" collar 24/7/365

So what's to stop a bent MOT'er putting a different car on the rolling road for the brake test?

"Valid" point, seemingly only the tester :unsure: The main element here is not the test, but the outcome, "your" car will have a "dog" collar 24/7/365

so when will you be putting these into effect tony

or do you know any slightly crooked testers :crying:

so when will you be putting these into effect tony

or do you know any slightly crooked testers :crying:

"ME!" putting into effect :excl: i wish :D ...reality smacks this, the MOT will cost £more, a re-test "will" cost even more, and the police will have every detail of your test on screen.

The majority of MOT stations I have been too that also do repairs cannot be

trusted.

They will tell you things are worn out when they have no engineering knowledge

other than the training to be a ' MOT tester'.

Women and old ladies especially are frightened to death by some of their tales.

The whole motor trade is a shambles........read through your posts, for every

recommend there are 50 complaints.

You take your car to main dealers and it's pot luck if they guess it right, despite

all the so called high tech diagnostic equipment.

Every year the goverment promises to root out the rogues in all trades,they havn't got the guts...what a joke.

This will just be another gravy train for motor trade and the goverment.

Try a couple of tips from an old fogey....never go to an MOT station that does repairs and if you want a better lifestyle....... emmigrate. I wish I'd done it years ago.

This is a country with a limitless amount of money to keep murderers alive,

for asylum seekers bogus or not, but people who have paid tax and VAT all their lives will have to sell their homes if they need long term care.

IT'S A CON!

The features are:

greater cost to the motoriist,

specious argument to justify Big Brother enforcement.

The greater cost is to persuade motorists to use the railways which are less fuel efficient even when seats are packed.

The Big Brother spying, as with ID cards, doesn't even address the problem. No MOT and guess what. No insurance either. The law will already prosecute MOT testers who pass a car which is dodgy. Hence, as with ID cards this is completely bogus.

Furthermore, Gordon Brown took a trip on the Chinese maglev train last year and Blair tried it out recently. The plan is to replace air travel (also heavily subsidised by the government with our taxes) with a high speed line from Edinburgh and the Midlands to London.

Then there's the road tolls which are also attacking the motorists again at £1.34 a mile during peak times which is when most people travel by definition.

This is gangsterism; sending the boys around and smashing up the stalls of your competitor. Labour are run by the unions and most notably the rail unions.

Its another ploy to rip motorists off and a step closer to living in a nanny state! ITS A JOKE! The whole country is. These politicians have nothing better to do than think of stupid taxes. Thats all it is! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
5: The result of the test will be held on computer, .....and all cameras will know if the car has the right to be on the road.

... and much more me thinks :yack:

This won't be possible in Germany. It's war against personal rights. Unbelievable that is... :shutit:

5: The result of the test will be held on computer, .....and all cameras will know if the car has the right to be on the road.

... and much more me thinks :yack:

This won't be possible in Germany. It's war against personal rights. Unbelievable that is... :shutit:

Here in the UK we only have the "right" to moan.....and then pay for it in tax's. At some point the bubble will burst, and burst it "WILL"

I'm not going to panic as my IS200 has just had MOT certificate number 3 and the only thing of note was the reflective backing on the number plates was coming away from the plates themselves. 23 pounds later I had two new plates, thanks to Lexus Chester.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links