Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

REF RX400h."We have driven ours for two tanks at 23 mpg.Thinking that it was an adjustment problem we took it in. We were told that we shoud not expect to get anywhere near the published 31mpg as that was only an epa estimate. We certainly weren't told this prior to spending the money. It is a very good thing that all other aspects of the car are wonderful ( ride, noise, etc.) Otherwise I would be beyond upset. I cannot help but think that since the electric only runs at 20 mph and below that some adjustment there could help. We were assured that this was not specs. The regional rep is up to 25mpg after 5000 miles so that is what we should aspire to. Welcome to the world of auto sales."

This extract was taken from the US web site! Sales Talk BEFORE purchase is always biased to the item being sold, but we always fall for it dont we. Roll on the days when real world driving conditons are used to calculate actual fuel economy. :yawn:

But there are people who are getting high 20s (and remember US gallons are smallers so that is low 30s for us) and in their old RX330s they were getting 18-22 so it's quite a big percentage improvement when also considering a large increase in performance.

The 400h is more about performance than economy.

But there are people who are getting high 20s (and remember US gallons are smallers so that is low 30s for us) and in their old RX330s they were getting 18-22 so it's quite a big percentage improvement when also considering a large increase in performance.

The 400h is more about performance than economy.

:) Yes colin I agree with you, our gallon is 1.2 of theres, Its the way the MPG is calculated that should be addressed, far to many manufacturers are plying us with false data, this data they know to be misleading, is being used to sell there products. I bought my wife a new Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 DTCI ( i know they are not your lexus) she was told that it would average 48 MPG, after numerous retuns to the dealer, 38 MPG at best!!!, She drives 30 mile/day all on duel carrageways!!, sad auy.

I think if you buy an RX400h you have to be wanting it for the extra performance... the £4.7k adder to the RX300's price is going to take a long long long time to make up on the economy side.

Still not all lost if the residuals are better ? Maybe I should have a test drive before I say toooo much more ?

Ok some rough calculations

20 mpg – RX300 /4.5l per gallon= 4.44 mpl, litre @ 85p = 19p per mile (rounded)

30 mpg – RX400h /4.5l per gallon = 6.66 mpl, litre @85p = 13p per mile (rounded)

6p per mile saving

£4,700 difference

=Difference pays for itself in about 78,000 miles.

Hrmmmm glad I bought it for the power! :D

So let’s stop the MPG debate – it’s better, but if you want to save money on fuel we should all cycle. Or buy a 1.2, 3 cylinder tin box from Malaysia – erm, no, rather not. Nuff said!

I am interested in the MPG owners achieve, not for costs, but for range.

If the 20mpg and 30mpg figures are true then that’s a big difference in the amount of time at the pumps/stops on a journey.

I wonder how Lexus chose its mpg/performance ratio. The RX400h is faster than the RX300, and way ahead of the diesel competition. I am a little (but pleasantly) surprised by its performance figures, I would have thought they would have leant a little more to the lower emissions (and higher MPG) side.

Surely this is even more down to the type of driving you do? Round town with constant stop starts you would be using the elctric motors more and getting Battery charge from constant stopping. On a trip to Spain say - which was my main reason for buying the RX300 - you would get no regenerative braking and be paying fuel costs to lug heavy motors and batteries - so more fuel stops on long runs.

I still can't work out why anyone wants more power out of the RX. It is a constant struggle to keep within the speed limits with the RX300 even on Continental roads and the quick shift down of the auto box on inclines means it never caught out on hills. Driving 4x4,s aggressively only gives the anti's more ammunition.

Can anyone really think that a 3.3 litre V8 that weighs 2.5 tonnes will give 30+mpg even if it has electric motors.

Not sure what vehicle you are talking about there :duh:

If it's a 400h then we know some people do get 30mpg+ and it has a V6 engine and weight 2.0 tonnes.

Can anyone really think that a 3.3 litre V8 that weighs 2.5 tonnes will give 30+mpg even if it has electric motors.

If it's a 400h then we know some people do get 30mpg+ and it has a V6 engine and weight 2.0 tonnes.

Opps yes V6 but Gross Vehicle Weight is quoted as 2505Kg.

Ok some rough calculations

20 mpg – RX300 /4.5l per gallon= 4.44 mpl, litre @ 85p = 19p per mile (rounded)

30 mpg – RX400h /4.5l per gallon = 6.66 mpl, litre @85p = 13p per mile (rounded)

6p per mile saving

£4,700 difference

=Difference pays for itself in about 78,000 miles.

Hrmmmm glad I bought it for the power!  :D

So let’s stop the MPG debate – it’s better, but if you want to save money on fuel we should all cycle. Or buy a 1.2, 3 cylinder tin box from Malaysia – erm, no, rather not.  Nuff said!

Based on these calculations it would be about 8 years for me to see any gains on buying an RX400, and unless one is doing extremely high annual mileage, say as a rep, the extra cost in the purchase price just isn't worth it.

Realspeed

Opps yes V6 but Gross Vehicle Weight is quoted as 2505Kg.

mpg calculations or performance figures aren't based on gross weight.

Ok, another thought, extra performance for extra cost. £4,700 how does that compare in so far as performance price hikes go....

Cost to upgrade from -

X5 3.0 to 4.4 £10920 + you have to admit to driving a BMW :sick:

Cayenne 3.0 to 'S' £6390 + it's a 911 on stilts and looks :sick:

ML350 to 500 £9960 + and just where do we start with the Merc :sick:

These all show a similar improvement in performance as the 300 to 400h but all have a higher fuel consumption not lower.

Thoughts?

the mileage defintely improves with age - this is bourne out from the evidence of a lot of the US owners - bear with it - it will pick up.

whether it will reach the figures in the brochures I cannot say - but I do expect you to see an improvement.

Have a read of some Prius forums too - there are some good tips and techniques on driving style for hybrids ;)

Or - do what I do.

I'm getting 16-17 mpg from my GS430. I just enjoy the drive, and not worry about the juice going through it. :D

the mileage defintely improves with age - this is bourne out from the evidence of a lot of the US owners - bear with it - it will pick up.

whether it will reach the figures in the brochures I cannot say - but I do expect you to see an improvement.

Have a read of some Prius forums too - there are some good tips and techniques on driving style for hybrids ;)

Or - do what I do.

I'm getting 16-17 mpg from my GS430. I just enjoy the drive, and not worry about the juice going through it. :D

Well Spoken / Written M_M

I believe if you are driving anything bigger that 2.5 l you should not worry about MPG's

If you want to woory about mpg's buy a Daihatsu Copen

My 2p

A friend took the Lex for a drive into London came back said that he will only drive if he does not have to buy petrol

Personally i fill the tank

Drive till the warning light comes on

Fill up again

And the circle continues

Between 250 - 340 miles depending on how i drive :lol:

Ok ok ok for the man who really doesn't care about MPG I had a quick look at the story so far....

403 miles on the clock so far................

28.6MPG .............used to get about 19MPG in the RX300

Seems good to me.

:) Hi John, that's good MPG compaired to my "X" RX300SE, I got 20.3 at best with out-of-town driving! Roll on the GS450h :hehe:

Sorry to disappoint all you sceptics.

The car is excellent, and the fuel economy is getting better all the time.

During a trip on the German autobahn accelerating gently up to a speed of 110-120 the car was cruising gently and effortlessly along and retuned 25.4 miles per gallon - this was cruising without braking and quick accelerations.

Back in the UK this morning, setting the cruise control at 70MPH it averaged 36.2 miles gallon over an 80-mile journey.

This is a vast improvement on the first week’s figures, and these will no doubt continue to improve over the first 5-6,000 miles on the clock.

Happy motoring!

During a trip on the German autobahn accelerating gently up to a speed of 110-120 the car was cruising gently and effortlessly along and retuned 25.4 miles per gallon - this was cruising without braking and quick accelerations.

Back in the UK this morning, setting the cruise control at 70MPH it averaged 36.2 miles gallon over an 80-mile journey.

This is a vast improvement on the first week’s figures, and these will no doubt continue to improve over the first 5-6,000 miles on the clock.

Happy motoring!

:D Great news from the great dane, wonder what the gs450h can give?, best regards and enjoy.

A little new, but I got my 400h a week ago, and have I think driven it 50-50 motorway and a round town, £48 I think was on the invoice that Canterbury motorline put in the car in fuel when I got it. I am averaging 26.7 to the gallon and now just getting to 320 miles on the clock. I am a little under a 1/4 of a tank, so maybe might get to 340miles on a tank before filling up. I hope this helps a few questions.

I had a IS300 before this, and the car cost £48 to fill up and on average I would get 280 miles to the tank.

The 400h is faster smoother , and wowow, has it got alot of gadets, that make life so much more fun.

I am a very happy man.

Happy motoring!

Don't think we're allllll sceptics, just like most I don't tend to believe the marketing hype till I hear from someone real that has the car.... It is good news that the mpg is much better, I would struggle to justify from performance side alone, but with better mpg...mmmm...

Some 'real life' MPGs to add to the debate.......

Just returned from a week down south - fab weather and now I am as brown as I would have been if we had been abroad.... we do live in a great country if only the weather was more consistent, anyhoo..

Edinburgh to Chester towing the 'van' 17mpg (used to get 15 in the RX300)

Chester and around Sat to Wed 150 miles - 34.6MPG

Chester to Yorkshire towing again 19 MPG

Yorkshire and around Wed to Today 34MPG

Yorkshire back to Edinburgh without van going at about (ahem) 70mph all the way with air con on 30MPG

Oh and managed to get the Battery full for the first time going down Sutton Bank (1 in 4 gradient), the bars in the display go very green.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links