Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brake/fog Diodes

wow now i understand how it works, i cen never understand electronics until someone draws the diagram. it all gets confusing when heard verbaly!

excellent stuff!

Scarface do ya fancy trying to fit em at the same time???

What size/type of Diode do you require then??

Does this method mean that you can actual use the Fogs as fogs when you want to etc, and for MOT tests??

My electrical expertise is ZERO!! so help appreciated.

Thanks

You can still use the fogs as fogs ........ not sure what diode you need though ! :duh:

hy!

looks good scareface B) my IS has parking light / brake light / Fog light with the Boergy-Black-Box, but to install is more complicated.

greets

Tom´S

Great stuff mate ! Cheers

Will attempt this soon ............  :whistling:

Just a thought.....seeing as the IS3 is auto and the double filament bulbs will be doing a lot more work, aren't the bulbs likely to blow more frequently?

Has anyone else done this on an auto?

I have other original plans for my fogs :ph34r:

What size/type of Diode do you require then??

Does this method mean that you can actual use the Fogs as fogs when you want to etc, and for MOT tests??

My electrical expertise is ZERO!! so help appreciated.

Thanks

You can still use the fogs as fogs ........ not sure what diode you need though ! :duh:

RS Components part number 447-0829 should do the trick. If you quote that to any electronics shop like Maplins they will give you the equivalent.

Great stuff mate ! Cheers

Will attempt this soon ............  :whistling:

Just a thought.....seeing as the IS3 is auto and the double filament bulbs will be doing a lot more work, aren't the bulbs likely to blow more frequently?

Has anyone else done this on an auto?

I have other original plans for my fogs :ph34r:

Mike I know Raz done his auto, im sure he ran a live wire from the Battery along with a relay.....being auto your foot is on the brake a lot more so there is more chance of the wires smoking as you are putting twice the amount of power through the wire than there should be, i stuck with just the tail lights on mine ;)

Wouldn't worry too much about melting wires, 4 bulbs rated at 21 watts = 7 amps of current at 12 volts. 1mm automotive cable has a continuious current rating of 9 amps.

So in BRAIN DEAD terms then, cable from Brake to Fog with the Diode in the midde (each side obviously) or do you cable from Brake to fog to fog to Brake etc....

Really confused!!!

The only things you need to add are the diodes - the other wiring exists already.

Still not convinced that this is actually legal to do - anybody had an MOT done with this mod?

A pair of 1N5400 diodes will do the job nicely. Fog light bulbs pull just under 2 amps a piece, 1N5400s are rated at 3A apiece. 10p each from Maplin, order code QL81C. If they're not in stock, any 1N540x diode will do, they just have higher maximum voltage ratings.

Alternatively you can use a single P600A (or P600B, D, G, J, K, M) which is big enough to do both bulbs. 49p from Maplin, order code UK59P.

Remember, only one side needs to be done. Both bulbs will light because they're wired together already.

Alternatively you can use a single P600A (or P600B, D, G, J, K, M) which is big enough to do both bulbs.  49p from Maplin, order code UK59P.

Remember, only one side needs to be done.  Both bulbs will light because they're wired together already.

Spot on mate, what I was saying over here. If you quote RS part no 447-0829 at any components shop they will cross ref and you will get a P600B.

Alternatively you can use a single P600A (or P600B, D, G, J, K, M) which is big enough to do both bulbs.  49p from Maplin, order code UK59P.

Remember, only one side needs to be done.  Both bulbs will light because they're wired together already.

Spot on mate, what I was saying over here. If you quote RS part no 447-0829 at any components shop they will cross ref and you will get a P600B.

Assuming they've got an RS catalogue to hand or access to t'Internet, of course!

I'm familiar with the 1N400x and 1N540x range, didn't know about the P600x diodes so that was useful. I just thought that a more universally recognised part number would be easier to track down.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links