Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Conversion

i'm after a HID conversion kit and came across these on fleabay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

are any of them suitable/decent enough to go on my baby???

(i know the auctions have all ended but the suppliers got them in stock)

I can't vouch for the quality of those kits but to be honest I wouldn't go for anything above the 8000k limit as it will look nice but you won't be getting as much light on the road - Zee's lights at 4300k are much brighter than mine at 6000k - they look similar looking at the car, except mine are bluer, but when you compare actual light output on the road, where it really counts, the 4300k wins hands down, so I think you see where I'm going?

I think the motorbikes you see with the purplish lights are around the 12k mark?

With anything that high you'd probably get pulled by the cops at some point?

thanks for the advice fella. so i take it, the higher the output number, the brighter the light. but that doesn't always mean that it throws more light onto the road??

are the kits easy to install yourself (if you have limited experience)???

anybody know if these kits are any good...or should is there anything someone could reccommend

The kits are really easy to fit mate, even I managed it :D

Basically you unplug the existing bulb, then the cable that plugged into that is plugged into the new ballast, which just basically sticks onto the car somewhere, I have it on the wing either side, and then you just swap the bulbs over (don't touch the glass) and then just plug the cables from the ballast (that's the little silver boxes in the pics) into the new bulb

Job done :)

The kits are really easy to fit mate, even I managed it :D

Basically you unplug the existing bulb, then the cable that plugged into that is plugged into the new ballast, which just basically sticks onto the car somewhere, I have it on the wing either side, and then you just swap the bulbs over (don't touch the glass) and then just plug the cables from the ballast (that's the little silver boxes in the pics) into the new bulb

Job done :)

oh right, that does sound easy (even for me!!!). are the ballasts permenantly fixed? i take it you just gotta find some room for them to sit under the bonet somewhere??

The headlight beam needs setting up correctly as the reflectors are not designed for HID. You just need to go to an MOT testing garage and ask them to set up your headlights. It shouldn`t cost alot will only take about 10 mins. It is against the law to fit a HID kit to your car if your electric height adjustment is broken or not present.

ok, so basically i can get the kit and fit it myself. but then i have to take it to a local MOT garage and get them to set up the headlights???

cheers guys.

anybody got any suggestions as to whether the kits on eBay are any good???

also found this one:

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=45

what bulbs/colour temperature will i need to go for if i want a blueish tint to the lights?? 6000k???

Yes mate, 6300 and above have a blue tint to them :)

Prolex do a kit which a few people from here have fitted to their cars?

You can find them on www.prolex-uk.com

Have to admit my lights have never been touched at the MOT station, they've been left alone since I fitted them!

HID's are a top job you should deffo go for them!

especially in an IS as the standard lights are poo!!!

Defo .........

When you drive car with HIDS / Xenon then you get back into a car with normal lights ..... you think "damn, I have been driving blind!!"

well, i just spoke to my insurance company coz i had to sort some stuff out with them. anyway, we got chatting regarding car modifications and they told me that because i'm under 25, i'm not allowed to modify the car in any way.....engine, brakes, alloys, suspension, body, lighting!!!!!!!

is this somekind of joke!!!!

all i wanna do at the minute is put some HID's on it and by the sounds of it, that would void my insurance!!!!!

is this how most insurance company's work???

anyway around it????

Don' tel em!

HIDs are great, not only look great to other road users but as above wen you have driven a car with them and get back into a car without its like illuminating the road with candles in your headlights!

I had them on my ST now i really gotta get some fitted to my IS!

Or change your insurance company to one that will allow for mods - I can't imagine they'll charge much for HID's

i was thinking that but i thought you had to have the policy with your insurance company for a minimum of 12months before you could change (only had the current policy for about 3months!!!).

i think that i'm gonna have a similar problem with whoever i go with (coz of my age).

guess i'll just have to keep it to myself!!!!! :D :P :D

i was thinking that but i thought you had to have the policy with your insurance company for a minimum of 12months before you could change

guess i'll just have to keep it to myself!!!!! :D  :P  :D

That's a new one on me.....check the small print on your policy.

In the past I have been able to cancel policies with <12 months with no problem, other than the cancellation fee.

thanks for the advice fella. so i take it, the higher the output number, the brighter the light. but that doesn't always mean that it throws more light onto the road??

No the number has nothing to do with the brightness, the number refers to the colour of the light. Sunlight is around 5200k, anything below that will look yellow and above will look blue. Stock HIDs normally are 4300k.

well, i just spoke to my insurance company coz i had to sort some stuff out with them. anyway, we got chatting regarding car modifications and they told me that because i'm under 25, i'm not allowed to modify the car in any way.....engine, brakes, alloys, suspension, body, lighting!!!!!!!

is this somekind of joke!!!!

all i wanna do at the minute is put some HID's on it and by the sounds of it, that would void my insurance!!!!!

is this how most insurance company's work???

anyway around it????

Telling an insurance company about aftermarket HIDs probably isn't the best thing to do as they probably won't be too pleased that you have illegal lights fitted to your car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links