Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Custom Induction Ideas

dont want to be the party pooper or anything, but has anyone actually measured the temperature difference between ambient and intake air?? - as waddy says i highly suspect that the difference if any, will be miniscule.

for ad77 and the others that have a modded intake housing, you are getting ram effect which helps but it will be very very small.

for those with the SC -  the air is  very hot anyway - the best thing to do in that case would be to get a more efficient intercooler

When we were mapping adrians car the temp @ the air filter was 15 degrees C which was a 3 degrees cooler from the ambient temp.

I was told you need as much cold air as possible..........so every little helps :D

Idealy you want to be taking the air from low down anyways as that is the most dense air availiable for you to use, therfore should provide you with more bang per buck so to speak.

Also the front bumper of the car has the most resistance of any part of the car due to pushing directly against the air so will channel plenty of air through. As long as the air is moving quickly surely the length of the pipe as long as its away from heat sources will be less conciquencial.

i personaly am looking at a filter called the black mamba, its a carbon fibre body that completely isolates the filter from the engine heat then ducts the inlet to a 80mm pipe that runs to the front of car, so never actualy takes in any engine bay heat.

the filter runs in at £199.99 i think, i saw it in the POTN catalogue.

Could be an idea, as the engine bay in there gets damn hot, so maybe this could help in combination with cooling your intercooler better?

Bit like the BMC filter.

I wonder if they do one for the lex - pug and SEAT boys used to rave about them as they kept the hot air from the engine out of the way.

cda_ppower.jpg

I have to disagree with you though on the air density Chris - perhaps over say 2/300ft there would be a noticable difference but in the space of 3/4 ft on the front of your car the density isn't going to be that much different to be noticable.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong?

Chris - can you make up something similar to the BMC housing from Ali or do you just work with pressed sheet?

Boyle's Law:

Boyle's Law states that under conditions of constant temperature and quantity, there is an inverse relationship between the volume and pressure for an ideal gas

Density forms no part of the equation

You might want to re-read what you types...

constant quantity, but an increase in pressure resulting in an decrease in volume is the same as an increase in density (same quantity but in a smaller size).

HTH

Boyle's Law:

Boyle's Law states that under conditions of constant temperature and quantity, there is an inverse relationship between the volume and pressure for an ideal gas

constant quantity, but an increase in pressure resulting in an decrease in volume is the same as an increase in density (same quantity but in a smaller size).

HTH

No. What I was saying is that density itself does not form part of the equation. Density is a resultant.

Boyle's Law:

HTH

No. What I was saying is that density itself does not form part of the equation. Density is a resultant.

Hmmm I would think differently...

Density = mass / volume

If the mass is constant (quantity), then the change in volume does effect the density. Whilst Boyles law doesn't implicity state desity as part of the equation, it is implied by the constant mass and the inclusion of the volume within the statement.

boylelaw.gif

There's a good history of gas laws here Which is where I knicked the above diagram. :)

Anyway.. it's been a while since I had to do any themodynamics so I'll stop here.... ;)

Is it a ridiculous idea to make a scoop from the bonnet into a box that is used as the induction, obviously putting a filter in there of sorts

I don't have a scoop in the bonnet - though it is vented in the hope of allowing some of the heat out.

I have boxed my filter in and run pipework to it via the grill at the side of the fog light.

post-5387-1128807136.jpg

I have no idea on a thermofluid dynamics point of view if it makes a difference or not :D but it looks good and seems to make the whine from the charger a little louder

it wont make any difference in putting the scoop in the bumper or in the bonnet etc etc , density will be exactly the same ( unless you are talking in 100000ths of a percent)

and yes the bumper has a lot of air resistance as its not exactly aerodynamic is it, put a scoop anywhere in the airflow and the result wil be the same.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links