Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Detailing Puzzle

Adie

I'm going to start my detailing again from scratch as ive just received my porter cable thingy along with some more new goodies. Problem being......What do i use with what and in what order :question:

What is the best combo :question:

Here's what i've got to use (apart from glass & cockpit detail kit )

Sonus SFX2

Sonus Glyde + Sonus detailing clay

Sonus Paintwork Cleanser

Klasse All In One

Klasse Sealant Glaze

Sonus Carnuba Spritz

Sonus Glosse Shampoo

P21S Carnuba Wax

Now for the hard part...to use with: Porter Cable:

SFX 1 - Restore Pad

SFX 2 - Enhance Pad

SFX 3 - Final Finish Pad

Also buffer pad thing and have various microfibre towels and buffers.

Thanks in advance guys :D

Adie

Thanks Mat.

Buff afterwards with the buffing head?

What about the paint work cleanser? Is this the same as the All In One?

buff with a buffing bonnet, once you have removed the majority of product.

paintwork cleanser is a touch redundant in this setup - you want to start from scratch.

use the paintwork cleanser next time, instead of the FX2 ;)

No.....the master of disaster says:

Pee all over you car

Get some of that Sainsbo's wire stuff and rub it all over your car

Pee all over the car

Lose interest with the car and rob the nearest house

Get a life

/note to myself... dont post when drunk ^^^^^ :lol:

No.....the master of disaster says:

Pee all over you car

Get some of that Sainsbo's wire stuff and rub it all over your car

Pee all over the car

Lose interest with the car and rob the nearest house

Get a life

you want to explain how this is on topic - and not thread crapping?

DITTO

wash thoroughly.

clay all over

wash and dry

SFX2 on the FX2 pad.

All In One on FX3 pad

As many layers of SG by hand as you can get down, leaving 24 hours between layers

Wax by hand

I have practically the same kit as AD77. When washing to start with would you use the Sonus Gloss Shampoo or similar or just plain water wash. I assume that you do not dry after this first wash. Does the car being wet help with the clay? Sorry for appearing stupid but I have never detailed a car before. :unsure::unsure:

Don't know if I do it right but nowadays I usually give the car a quick once over with a jet wash (no soap) and then go round with the shampoo added before claying - when claying I use a lubricant which helps the clay and stops it leaving marks on the car - the Meguiars Quik clay system you can get from your local Halfords contains a bar of clay (albeit small) and a spray bottle which does the job :D

Claying is really easy :)

When washing to start with would you use the Sonus Gloss Shampoo or similar or just plain water wash. I assume that you do not dry after this first wash. Does the car being wet help with the Clay? Sorry for appearing stupid but I have never detailed a car before.  :unsure:  :unsure:

yes - use the shampoo.

you want to get the car as clean as possible - the idea of claying is to remove surface contamination - so you want it free of easyily removed dirt.

you dont want to be dragging dust all over the paintwork.

shampoo it - dont worry about drying.

I use plenty of soapy water to clay with - prefer that to the lubricant you get.

once its thoroughly clayed - shampoo again to remove any clay residue.

then dry it with a mf cloth

;)

I'm going to start my detailing again from scratch as ive just received my porter cable thingy along with some more new goodies. Problem being......What do i use with what and in what order :question:

... lots of stuff ....

Adie

On thing you have missing from your list is a lambs wool mit for washing with.....

it is the muts for avoiding swirls after you have invested so much time and effort in cleaning... never use a sponge again!!!

wash thoroughly.

clay all over

wash and dry

SFX2 on the FX2 pad.

All In One on FX3 pad

As many layers of SG by hand as you can get down, leaving 24 hours between layers

Wax by hand

Intresting learning a few things here .. (ok...ALOT! :blush: )

If you are supposed to be leaving 24 hours between layers then what happens if it rains? Do you have to leave the car in a garage? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Started the long hard task today.

So far i've washed it then clayed it. The clay was easy to do as my paintwork is pretty good already (after i last did All in One, 5 layers of SG and 5 layers of P21S wax). Then washed again and dried.

Then did a layer of Sonus FX2 using the porter cable with the FX2 pad.

Then i've done only the passanger side with Klasse All In One using the FX3 pad.

I've had to stop because the car is directly in the sun and its drying the product as soon as i apply it. Plus i'm knackered :lol:

The porter cable polisher thingy is great. It makes it much easier work applying the polishes.

There still seems to be some swirl marks when it catches the sun on the roof, bonnet and boot.

Will continue tomorrow weather permitting :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links