Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Anyone Know How To Cure Brake Judder

sjf

Hi guy's,

Symptons: When braking, the steering wheel vibrates this normally occurs at speeds of 40mph. While at 20 mph there's less vibration that can be felt.

Does anyone know how to stop the brake from juddering...i have already bought Mintex pads (front and rear) and Discs (Front) from Prolex and have already fitted them..but now three maybe four months later the brake judder has returned...

Do you think it could be the rear discs as they weren't changed..Will i have to replace both the front and rear Discs :crying: or could there be other causes?

PLEASE HELP as it's starting to pi** me right off

Cheers for the help

Steve

Get your wheels center balanced ,a good tyre place will sort this as they will have top notch machines .could be that. :)

Have had my wheels balanced as i had some tyres fitted just the other day, which also included tracking...

:)

When you fitted the front discs did you clean up the hub to make sure the new discs fit dead flat i.e. to run true.?

Ive got this problem too, get not judda at all under 30-40mph but anything over and it judders alot. Also when going 90-100mph i get an odd vibrasion ever now and then, think it could be tires ???????????

judder when braking is alomost always disc not running true or warped, a check with the wheel off and a dial gauge placed against the disc as it is rotated will confirm this, it's well worth buying one (approx £20) and perform a check after replacing discs, or even whenever you got the wheels off. can also use it to check run out on alloy wheels

Search for warped discs on here, there was a thread about some discs which were alledged to be warped... it included a heck of a lot of good info about various things, I am sure there was something about the phantom lexus warped disc syndrome which turns out to be something else resulting in the break judder..!

Ok, thanks for your help guy's, will check out the brand new mintex discs i have bought and will check the brake calipers...can the rear calipers cause juddering?

someone also said the bottom ball joints might be the cause can anyone tell me what to look for...

Cheers Steve

I'll tell you what, since I've just had my balljoints replaced, I've not taken it to anything higher than 40mph...I'll take it out tonight when I get home and let you know if I've still got the brake judder...if I do have it then I'll take a guess and say it's my front discs, since I've always suspected them. If I don't then it'll partly be due to lower front balljoints :).

I'll tell you what, since I've just had my balljoints replaced, I've not taken it to anything higher than 40mph...I'll take it out tonight when I get home and let you know if I've still got the brake judder...if I do have it then I'll take a guess and say it's my front discs, since I've always suspected them. If I don't then it'll partly be due to lower front balljoints :).

ok, cheers mate.

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply...just got a bit tied up yesterday. The "judder" is still there, but less pronounced. I'd say take a look at the discs as they seem to be the main culprit :). Need to replace mine now as well. Hope that helps.

This problem is nearly always calipers sticking on the pins, I've had bad brake judder on the front and the rear and the only difference is that the steering wheel shook when it happened on the front and not on the rear. I too suspected discs and ball joints and although I have a badly worn ball joint on the rear and the discs also don't look great it still ended up being a sticking caliper. My mechanic serviced all the calipers and alas, no brake judder! I have read so many threads where people have got new discs put on and at their expence have found the problem to still be there. Hope this helps and good luck

This problem is nearly always calipers sticking on the pins, I've had bad brake judder on  the front and the rear and the only difference is that the steering wheel shook when it happened on the front and not on the rear. I too suspected discs and ball joints and although I have a badly worn ball joint on the rear and the discs also don't look great it still ended up being a sticking caliper. My mechanic serviced all the calipers and alas, no brake judder! I have read so many threads where people have got new discs put on and at their expence have found the problem to still be there.  Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks mate, this helps alot....do you know if the car will still vibrate if the caliper is sticking on the rear....as i too have only just changed my front discs (about 4 months ago) but have not changed the rear discs...

Yes, confirmed.. it's always a sticking caliper. Same here! :)

BTW: I'm running amazingly well on aftermarket BREMBO-Discs with Mintex-Pads.. Is somebody else running this setup?

But surley if the caliper is sticking then when you break the caliper is being used so it would make no difference?????

Im sure someone will correct me

This problem is nearly always calipers sticking on the pins, I've had bad brake judder on  the front and the rear and the only difference is that the steering wheel shook when it happened on the front and not on the rear. I too suspected discs and ball joints and although I have a badly worn ball joint on the rear and the discs also don't look great it still ended up being a sticking caliper. My mechanic serviced all the calipers and alas, no brake judder! I have read so many threads where people have got new discs put on and at their expence have found the problem to still be there.  Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks mate, this helps alot....do you know if the car will still vibrate if the caliper is sticking on the rear....as i too have only just changed my front discs (about 4 months ago) but have not changed the rear discs...

If it is a rear caliper, yes the car will still vibrate but the steering wheel won't. A tell tale sign on mine was a brake dust build up on the inner side of the disc where the caliper was working the inner pad but wasn't pulling the outer pad on. Hence the vibration, because there will be a brake imbalance when braking. Worth checking.

Yes, confirmed.. it's always a sticking caliper. Same here! :)

BTW: I'm running amazingly well on aftermarket BREMBO-Discs with Mintex-Pads.. Is somebody else running this setup?

But surley if the caliper is sticking then when you break the caliper is being used so it would make no difference?????

Im sure someone will correct me

No not the caliper, the slider, if one of the sliders is seized then the pad wont apply flat on the face of the disc and allow the pad and caliper to 'flutter' with inconsistent pressure also very rarely do discs warp, but a hot disc on a stationery car with the brake held on ( common on autos) will allow 'pad material' to burn onto the face of the disc, now with this elevated area of friction under braking there will be a judder acting like a warp.

Hi

I am on my second set of front discs to cure the same problem, and the judder is starting to return after a few months.

Its been the same both times they have been changed, it sorted the problem completly only for it to return after a few months.

It makes me think the discs are not up to the job, or not fitted correctly (as per the comments on cleans hubs etc). I spend alot of time on the motorways so they probably do get a hammering with high speed stops up slip roads and such. But of course this is a Lexus we're talkin about which should be built to deal with that level of punishment.

I have seen the posts on not holding the brake peddle down when at a stop to minimise imprint, so I don't think its that in my case.

They have been fitted at Toyota with what I assume are the standard discs, so I will be asking them to have another look at the next service which is comming up. I mentioned sticking claipers but they dismissed it (don't know wherther they actually checked)

Hope you get it sorted

I've had one set of new discs on my IS200 6 months ago under warranty due to them warping. The judder came back again recently. The dealer 'skimmed' my front discs - whatever that is! - and it seems to have fixed the problem again. 3 year warranty runs out in March 2006 so I'm hoping it's now fixed! :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links