Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official Extra Urban Mpg Is 220d - Beaten It!

Evening all

I have been an avid reader of all the various posts regarding the new IS over the past few months. I took delivery of my new IS on 19 January (my 3rd IS). Like many of the other Is 220d owners I have been disappointed by the MPG although in my case it has been in the high 30's. But now to the point of this my first post. I did a 266 mile round trip today between home and the K Club in Co Kildare and averaged 42.4 mpg on a mixture of A Roads, dual carriageways and motorways. On my way home I stopped off to refuel in Dundalk (77p per litre) and averaged 45mpg over the last 57 miles of my journey. Am I the first to beat the official mpg?

don't know about whether you are the first, but I noticed that I only got about 30mpg readung cuurent consumption on the onboard computer when running on the motorway yesterday in 6th gear at 2000 rpm, i.e. about 90 mph. I would have though that 2000 rpm in 6th would have given me a lot more than that. I'll try drving some distance at around 70 mph in 5th and see what that does, but I really cannot see the consumption getting up much from my current 35 mpg even when fully run in.

What sort of speed and gears were you running in? and how many miles has your car done?

Evening all

I have been an avid reader of all the various posts regarding the new IS over the past few months. I took delivery of my new IS on 19 January (my 3rd IS). Like many of the other Is 220d owners I have been disappointed by the MPG although in my case it has been in the high 30's. But now to the point of this my first post. I did a 266 mile round trip today between home and the K Club in Co Kildare and averaged 42.4 mpg on a mixture of A Roads, dual carriageways and motorways. On my way home I stopped off to refuel in Dundalk (77p per litre) and averaged 45mpg over the last 57 miles of my journey. Am I the first to beat the official mpg?

You deserve a medal!

As asked - how many miles has your car done, what was average speed, what gear etc? Was this all trip computer or actual calculation?

77p a litre...WOW :tsktsk:

Sorry, I know this is the IS220d thread, but talking about fuel economy - I did cornwall - Kent(weekend) with one full tank!!!!638 miles, 70-80miles an hour,car has done 5000miles..That is 9.81miles per litre!! I am not exaggerating......

I was very impressed, not with my driving, but with the car..atleast some consolation after the rattles and seat belt problems.....

Javeed

On a mix of A roads, dual carrigeway and motorway and I would hope to get closer to 50mpg. As I said in an earlier post, I did 200miles (95% motorway) and only got 44mpg. I would be interested to see when/how someone gets to the magio 50mpg. It was quite easy to get 60mpg on motorway in 320D so we are still well short on fule economy... my 220d is due in june....

:lol: This is so funny! I read that right:

638 miles, 9.81 MPL, so that's 44.6 mpg with a 6 cyl, 2.5 Petrol motor

:huh: :o

Lexus - what the :tsktsk: is happening to the diesel? Quotes from your website:

...It's a 2.2-litre common rail powerplant that delivers strong performance, running smoothness and low fuel consumption...

Then it says (on another page)...

....One of the main contributors to the smooth power delivery of the new IS 220d diesel engine, which also provides optimum fuel consumption and low emissions is a sophisticated common rail injection system that exceeds by far the capabilities of most other common rail processes...

Compared to what I wonder...

Javeed - are you sure you have a petrol?

:duh:

:lol:

Sorry, I know this is the IS220d thread, but talking about fuel economy - I did cornwall - Kent(weekend) with one full tank!!!!638 miles, 70-80miles an hour,car has done 5000miles..That is 9.81miles per litre!! I am not exaggerating......

I was very impressed, not with my driving, but with the car..atleast some consolation after the rattles and seat belt problems.....

Javeed

Javeed

How are your rattles now? I'm starting to get quite a few. I also have had to have the drivers seatbelt replaced as it jammed half pulled out. (Isn't the alarm annoying, beep.....beep....beep... for a while then it goes crazy beepbeepbeepbeep :tsktsk: :tsktsk: ).

I'm expecting the other seatbelt to fail as well!!

Sorry I'm also off topic. :blush:

Javeed

I also went to Cornwall for the weekend (Only from Devon 200mile round trip) I only got 37.9mpg though. I must have a heavier right foot than Javeeds. I was still pleased was 37.9mpg though.

Javeed

I also went to Cornwall for the weekend (Only from Devon 200mile round trip) I only got 37.9mpg though. I must have a heavier right foot than Javeeds. I was still pleased was 37.9mpg though.

I drove from Newcastle to Birmingham centre and back in my IS250 on a tank of fuel averaging 38mpg. I wasn't too disappointed with that as I was hoofing it for most of the way.

PML9952/Jamboo

Car has approx 1900 miles on the clock. Average speed for the journey - according to the trip computer - was 50mph with the majority on dual carriageway/motorway at 80mph. Found that the car will sit comfortably at 75mph in sixth using cruise control.

PML9952/Jamboo

Car has approx 1900 miles on the clock. Average speed for the journey - according to the trip computer - was 50mph with the majority on dual carriageway/motorway at 80mph. Found that the car will sit comfortably at 75mph in sixth using cruise control.

I can just about make sixth gear at 75 mph, I've now done 1800 miles and still showing 34 mpg.

So why did Lexus give us a gear that can't legally be used on the UK roads :unsure:

Javeed

Javeed

How are your rattles now? I'm starting to get quite a few. I also have had to have the drivers seatbelt replaced as it jammed half pulled out. (Isn't the alarm annoying, beep.....beep....beep... for a while then it goes crazy beepbeepbeepbeep :tsktsk: :tsktsk: ).

Hi

Rattles are fine for the moment - Lexus replaced co-drivers seat last week, so rattle from the front is all sorted. Hope it remains that way....However if the rattles appear again, I shall pay a visit to my second home - Lexus Tunbridge Wells! :D

Javeed

I am averaging a woeful 18-19 MPG on urban roads. So I'm nt particularly impressed. I've done 530 miles so far and changed tank for the second time last night.

what gear are you driving in city? it makes world of difference. I always used to drive diesels as if they were petrols - in 2nd or 3rd in the city, and my friend gets a lot better mpg in the city by simply driving 2 gears higher than me...

I am averaging a woeful 18-19 MPG on urban roads. So I'm nt particularly impressed. I've done 530 miles so far and changed tank for the second time last night.

what gear are you driving in city? it makes world of difference. I always used to drive diesels as if they were petrols - in 2nd or 3rd in the city, and my friend gets a lot better mpg in the city by simply driving 2 gears higher than me...

4th gear in the IS220d is strictly 40mph and above. Most of town driving is done in 2nd or 3rd gear.

4th gear in the IS220d is strictly 40mph and above. Most of town driving is done in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Thats where you are screwing up mate. High gears, high gears!!

Javeed

Javeed

Hi

Rattles are fine for the moment - Lexus replaced co-drivers seat last week, so rattle from the front is all sorted. Hope it remains that way....However if the rattles appear again, I shall pay a visit to my second home - Lexus Tunbridge Wells! :D

Javeed

I'm also with Lexus Tunbridge Wells!

Thats where you are screwing up mate. High gears, high gears!!

At less than 40 mph you can not put the car into any gear higher than 3rd. The engine will labour badly.

PML9952/Jamboo

I can just about make sixth gear at 75 mph, I've now done 1800 miles and still showing 34 mpg.

So why did Lexus give us a gear that can't legally be used on the UK roads :unsure:

Scott,

this is a good question...

'cos I've been using hire cars without OEM Sat Nav, I had to blow the dust off my Ipaq2210 Nav system. The amazing thing is that (as started on another thread at the mo) the GPS on every car other than a Citroen C4 shows me actually going anything up to 6MPH slower than the dash readout...the C4 was spot on... :duh:

So depending on how Lexus have the "inaccuracy" built into the speedo, you could actually be doing 70MPH when you think you're doing 75... :blink:

'cos of that you could be labouring the engine enough to have an adverse economy impact and not even know it :huh: though I doubt it would make that much of a difference in the MPG quarters, and Lexus probably know that they haven't actually forced anyone to break the limit. 75 on the speedo could be 70ish in reality...

It's true that the IS feels uncomfortable when laboured in 4th or higher...never had this problem in other diesels I have driven...

I'm gonna plumb it into the new IS to see what happens and how accurate the speedo is...unless the MLS nav can show your actual speed in MPH too...if it does how does it compare to the Speedo?

My gut feel is that the GPS is likely to be more accurate (as it ought to be on an aggregated moving "target" basis where the 5mtr accuracy is not valid).

Javeed

Javeed

Hi

Javeed

I'm also with Lexus Tunbridge Wells!

Surprise! Lexus TW said I am the only one with severe rattles, speak to Andy or Brian(the only people who know what they are doing). Hopefully will meet you soon at LTW!

yep, 2nd-3rd around city is simply bad mpg...At 2,000 rpm, your turbo is at full boost, so yes, you will spend more fuel then.

maybe its time for some Avensis D4D transplant? :-).

the turbo will only be full boost it you have the throttle wide open. The IS220D and the Avensis 2.2D use the same engine, a 2.2l D4D.

Has anybody been on TOC, do the Avensis 2.2 owners also get poor mpg?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links