Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tank on my Mk2 is 80 litres. Fuel light came on today, drove another 15 or so miles in town before filling up.

Pump stops filling at 58 litres, which leads to two possibilities:

(1) there was 22 litres (4.8 gallons) left in the vehicle prior to fuelling

OR

(2) The pump auto shut off way before the 80 litre capacity was reached

I find this happens regardless of where I fill up after low fuel light comes on.

If it is (1), then the car could still do at least 100 odd miles before totally running out of fuel. That's a big reserve!!!

What are other's experiences?

:duh: :blink:

Tank on my Mk2 is 80 litres. Fuel light came on today, drove another 15 or so miles in town before filling up.

OR

I find this happens regardless of where I fill up after low fuel light comes on.

If it is (1), then the car could still do at least 100 odd miles before totally running out of fuel. That's a big reserve!!!

Maneesh, have you got sat nav on yours ?

I posted a few weeks ago on this subject on the forum as I wanted to know how much left I have in the tank when the cruising range on the sat nav screen goes from 1 mile to low fuel reading (if you know what I mean).

I have thought about driving it till it runs out but don't fancy pushing it if it runs out at the lights.

Any ideas ???? :blush:

OR

I posted a few weeks ago on this subject on the forum as I wanted to know how much left I have in the tank when the cruising range on the sat nav screen goes from 1 mile to low fuel reading (if you know what I mean).

I have thought about driving it till it runs out but don't fancy pushing it if it runs out at the lights.

No sat nav. Who's going to volunteer to test tank to empty?? :tomato:

I've run most of my cars to fumes only in tank when I first buy them. I usually carry spare fuel in the car just in case. Quite a lot of cars will do 60 motorway style miles on a reserve or low warning light. The saxo did 60 miles my 3 litre V6 omega did 60 miles the aristo should do but as its tuned and doesn't do stock mpg I only risked 50 on that.

I just don't trust fuel gauges or warning lights.

Way I have done it for years is always fill up to the brim till the petrol is almost spilling out. Reset trip A and after a couple of fill ups you can easily work out mpg. I know the car does 23 mpg :crybaby: so on a 60 litre tank I can get 300 miles (with a the couple of extra litres in the neck as spare).

This way it is easy to know how many miles you got left in the tank to make decisions on when to fill up. Works for me :D

Sorry went a bit off topic there, I reckon that I have about 2 galls or 50 miles left when the light comes on :D

Edited by MacRS200

Way I have done it for years is always fill up to the brim till the petrol is almost spilling out. Reset trip A and after a couple of fill ups you can easily work out mpg. I know the car does 23 mpg :crybaby: so on a 60 litre tank I can get 300 miles (with a the couple of extra litres in the neck as spare).

This way it is easy to know how many miles you got left in the tank to make decisions on when to fill up. Works for me :D

Sorry went a bit off topic there, I reckon that I have about 2 galls or 50 miles left when the light comes on :D

I thought I was the only one that did this. I take it a step further and I know precisely how many miles to expect from my car given different driving types ie caning it, sitting at 80 on the motorway town driving in the cold etc etc lol. I'm a bit anal about fuel usage and how much I'm getting lol.

OR

Well come on! Be daring!

Plastic can in boot would do it!

We want to KNOW!!!

I put 65 litres in at last fill up when the light had come, could have got some more in but only had £65 on me. (bp ultimate dearest in the area but got caught short)

Most cars, the average is around 1.5 gallons when the light comes on I think, which gives me about 24 miles......................

I regularly ran my MK1 with the light on - sometimes up to 30 miles or so and never put more than 64 litres in it. The MK3 has told me my range is down to 15 miles with the light on and the needle at zero and 62 litres is the record fill up! If I had the bottle I'd go all the way just to find out...........

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly what i do get around 300 too :)

Doesn't the MkII have a 75 ltr tank?

I have done 100 miles in my Mk1 after the warning light has come on, however I have also run out of fuel after 80 miles after the light came on :(

Yes the series II tank is 75l. The series I has the 80l tank.

Don't look at the spec on the Lexus web site, they have it wrong (although with hundreds of other things :o )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links