Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

More Work Being Done

The head has been taken off as the uprated head gasket was not fitted... The original gasket has since broken whilst trying to split it. New one arrives Monday morning..

The original head gasket is a 3 ply gasket. The uprated head gasket I have is the middle ply only. So the original needs to be split, the middle part binned and the uprated part fitted in between the original outer parts... (get what I mean?)..

Other than that all auxiliaries are fitted up to the block. The pics below have the new uprated (middle ply) headgasket sat on top of the block.

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good things come to those who wait :D

And wait and wait and wait ........ (you get the idea) :lol:

I've been told 2 weeks maximum... after I've told them of my displeasure of waiting but I've still got an MOT to sort and some other little goodies to be fitted before I can map.. Oh and there is the small matter of running the engine in too (been told around 500 miles should be ok...Does this sound about right??).

I've been told 2 weeks maximum... after I've told them of my displeasure of waiting but I've still got an MOT to sort and some other little goodies to be fitted before I can map.. Oh and there is the small matter of running the engine in too (been told around 500 miles should be ok...Does this sound about right??).

500 minimum..........varying throttle openings...driving styles...long trips short trips .........doing it just so will pay you back in the long term...dont think that 500 @ slow on the odo = full throttle :blush:

Looks good fella shame the engine doesnt look that pretty with the rest of it fitted

Hey you wait untill I have the polished cam cover on there :P Apart from I'll still have all the coilpacks and cables etc :crybaby:

New headgasket arrived this morning. So it has now been fitted along with the uprated middle section.

The head has now been fitted on again. All now bolted on. Cams have been fitted along with cam cover, cam belt etc etc..

The manifold and turbo will be on tomorrow. Plus the intake manifold etc :D

Never really understood why people advise "running in" an engine and I know that people have different schools of thought on this...it's just that I can't imagine Lexus running the engines in on every single new car for 500 miles or more under varying throttle and driving circumstances! :blink: ...that would just be silly!

I would say get in the car and drive in normally, don't go crazy, just drive it like you would if you'd bought a new car....but then at the end of the day its how your going feel comfortable mate!!

Nice to see its nearly ready!! Looking forward to this one!! :)

Never really understood why people advise "running in" an engine and I know that people have different schools of thought on this...it's just that I can't imagine Lexus running the engines in on every single new car for 500 miles or more under varying throttle and driving circumstances! :blink: ...that would just be silly!

I would say get in the car and drive in normally, don't go crazy, just drive it like you would if you'd bought a new car....but then at the end of the day its how your going feel comfortable mate!!

Nice to see its nearly ready!! Looking forward to this one!! :)

This engine will have to be run in as the internals are forged / aftermarket ones and the bore has been honed to accomodate them. Therefore with running the engine in the pistons will be able to 'bed in' properly.

This engine will have to be run in as the internals are forged / aftermarket ones and the bore has been honed to accomodate them. Therefore with running the engine in the pistons will be able to 'bed in' properly.

Correct mate.

Start the engine let it run in at idle for a while

and then drive around normal style for a few hundred kms.

Sometimes try to accelereate a bit quicker, rev a bit higher and listen what's going on. ;)

Coming along nicely Adie!! good to see.

I would also advise running it in as i have heard of the odd disaster story of people not running engines in and having to strip them again cos something went wrong.

Should be pretty impressive once it's all done though!!!!

Test fitting the manifold and it fits perfectly and looks wicked (Great work Mike, well done mate :winky: ).. Unfortunately the studs are too short. New, longer studs arrive tomorrow. Turbo also fits as does the external wastegate. The downpipe definately does not fit. So a new one will have to be made along with the next part of the exhaust system (3"). Also new air intake to turbo pipe..

Some more blue pipes will also be added to the engine bay for some more bling dressing and the FPR also to still be fitted.

There will be a bracket made to sit onto the engine mount and then to the manifold. This is to support the weight of the turbo and external wastegate etc. Other wise the manifold will end up snapping due to all the added weight.. :D

DSC00113.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

The polished cam cover is fitted but alot of the look is taken away from all the cables, coil packs etc fitted to it. But it still looks pretty good. Pictures don't really do it justice.. :)

Test fitting the manifold and it fits perfectly and looks wicked (Great work Mike, well done mate :winky: ).. Unfortunately the studs are too short. New, longer studs arrive tomorrow. Turbo also fits as does the external wastegate. The downpipe definately does not fit. So a new one will have to be made along with the next part of the exhaust system (3").

As I told you bud. :winky:

Yes the downpipe, I didn't modify it to make it fit, as I was still waiting for the other parts,

for finishing my project. :)

But with some work you can make it fit and it would work perfect. :blush:

You've finally found a good turbocharger?? :shifty:

You've finally found a good turbocharger?? :shifty:

The HKS one on page 9 mate / the one in my avatar :winky:

Ah nice one bud!

It should give you the kick you will need. :D

Mike :winky:

Just been to see the car yet again.. (feels like a long distance relative :lol: ).. NO PROGRESS :tsktsk: :angry: Was told certain parts would be done but they've been really busy :angry:

Going back on Thursday.. I've been promised that the manifold and turbo will definately be fitted for me by then (as I made it very clear i'm not a happy bunny).. plus a few other bits :shifty: Will take some pics on Thursday :winky:

who is doing the work?

RGS Motorsport in Wellingborough are doing the main work (this is near to where my engine blew up and my Supra buddies also use them). Jon Dell Race Engines rebuilt the block etc.. The place that originally did my exhaust system will be doing the remainder of the 3" system plus new back box.. Fine tuning and mapping etc will be done by TDI :D

Nearly there :D Turbo and manifold are fitted. Pipe work is being fabricated at the moment. There is quite alot of bending of pipes to be done. Downpipe etc so as to fit into the engine bay properly. New flanges are also being made to accommodate the downpipe to turbo.

I think the turbo looks alot better sat on top where you can see it other than hidden away below. Also with the new shiny manifold. We test fitted the HKS heatshield too and it looks very cool indeed B)

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

That looks very impressive Adie B)

Are you going to retain that silicon hose from the throttle body (carried over from the original turbo kit)? It has a nasty restriction so it would be worth considering replacing it for a better design.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links