Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Be Warned!

A colleague of mine got busted this morning for leaving his car running!

We've all done it - gone out to the car 10 minutes early to warm her up and defrost the windows - it is illegal to leave the engine on your car running whilst it is unattended! :crybaby:

He was given a £30 fixed penalty charge - you have been WARNED!

Where was the car Andy? Is it ok to do this on a private drive to you think?

This is also an interesting question, on my previous car (a dreaded Vectra) I could start the engine and then lock the door with the spare key. This doesn't seem to be possible with the Lexus, it won't let you lock the door with the key or remote.

No it's def real - even saw the ticket cos I didnt believe him either!

The car was on the road I think, apparently having the vehicle locked makes no difference, apparently its all to do with the car being more dangerous when it is running - Like its going to put the clutch down, change gear and drive off on its own! Bah!

The car was on the road I think, apparently having the vehicle locked makes no difference, apparently its all to do with the car being more dangerous when it is running - Like its going to put the clutch down, change gear and drive off on its own! Bah!

Actually I only asked about locking the door for security, I used to be able to leave the Vectra engine running knowing the doors were locked and no-one could nick it (ok, no-one would nick a Vectra anyway) but with the Lexus I'm too scared to leave it running un-locked with the keys in the ignition ready for someone to drive off.

Can lock my GS300, I have done so a couple of times. never tried with Carries Sports Cross as the company only ever give her one key! I can see the sense in the law but a ticket instead of a friendly warning seems a bit heavy handed...

I would be real tempted to point to all the recovery motors who leave their truck running with their head under the bonnet of some broken down ford or otherwise tommied motor...

Also if the feds are ever in attendance at some 999 call, make it your business to check for signs of engine running and then report them!!

Allen Partridge, Me? NEver!!!

Loz

Also if the feds are ever in attendance at some 999 call, make it your business to check for signs of engine running and then report them!!

Funny you mention that actually Loz - a copper once told me that them BMers run the Battery flat in minutes if they switch off the enigine with the blues and twos going!

Hmmmm I see some fun ahead! :backofnet:

Insurance companies tend not to pay out if you leave your car unlocked with the keys in it and it's nicked 'cause you were being stupid. :huh:

From bbc news...

"Police warned motorists not to defrost cars by leaving them unattended with the engines running, after a series of opportunist thefts.

Police in Greater Manchester are looking for at least seven stolen cars after they were taken as the owners left them to defrost on Monday."

Where was the car Andy? Is it ok to do this on a private drive to you think?

I've heard of this before so it's not a wind up. I think they can even nick you if it's on a drive... :duh:

I'm fairly sure they can only ticket you on the "highway" - a drive or other private land should be OK.

Still a bad idea though (without extra security), even if it's deadlocked they've only got to smash the glass and bye-bye motor.

It is only an offence to leave the unoccupied car running when on a highway maintained at public expense. This is a road which comes under the jurisdiction of the Road Traffic Act.

The offence under the ' Construction and Use Regs has been around for decades. What the police have done is to add it to the list of offences where you can be given a Fixed Penalty Ticket.

Another obscure offence is parking during the hours of darkness with the offside next to the kerb. All vehicles must be parked on the left hand side so as to show reflector lights to the rear. Again it must be a public highway.

Another obscure offence is parking during the hours of darkness with the offside next to the kerb. All vehicles must be parked on the left hand side so as to show reflector lights to the rear. Again it must be a public highway.

I got busted for this one. I actualy knew it was wrong and was going to swap my car round before it got dark but I had flu and was feeling rough so I didn't. It was a fairly dark lane in a village and.....it was outside a police station. :duh:

From bbc news...

"Police warned motorists not to defrost cars by leaving them unattended with the engines running, after a series of opportunist thefts.

Police in Greater Manchester are looking for at least seven stolen cars after they were taken as the owners left them to defrost on Monday."

Apparently one was a Lexus, although don't know what flavour.

I never ever leave my car unlocked even when I go to pay for petrol.

Just recently in the cold snap, there have been at least 6 cases of cars stolen due to people warming them up unattended. Thats here in Liverpool but im sure someone will have a witty comment about that. lol.

:P :P :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links