Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aol Broadband

DaveEllen

Ordered my AOL broadband the other day came today...........4 hours later its back in its box ready to go back :(

After 3 million calls to the help line it appears I need to take my motherboard out and install a new chipset.......because windoze XP and my chipset thingy don't work with the new modem thingy........

Never mind eh !

If they now this why dont they ask you before you buy the thing :yawn:

The chip-set problem has been known about for at least two years-no help I know. Its something to do with the USB modem drawing too much power from the mother-board and causing the PC to crash (well more than normal) I thought you could still use it if you had a USB hub??? B)

Are you using a USB modem?

If you're having trouble with a USB modem, then it's not necessarily AOL's fault.

You could always install an ethernet card in you PC and connect to the modem that way. (Check the modem has an ethertnet port.)

As my mobo had two ethernet ports built in, I'll give my old ehternet card (NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter) free to the best groveller.

Under £15 should get you a good ethernet card, and you can wave good bye to your USB modem problems.

Depending on your interpretation, ADSL modems that have an ethernet port are called ADSL routers.

There are quite a few around, with a fairly varied feature set.

I just ordered one from www.solwise.co.uk, but www.dslsource.co.uk is apparently another good vendor. If you're going to share the connection using your own hub/switch, you just need to look for anything that supports "NAT". Many have a built in hub/switch, which makes life much easier.

www.adslguide.org has several reviews, and some more detail on what's available. They start from around the same price as an ADSL USB modem (60 quid ish) and go up to several hundred.

I tend to get over excited when it comes to things with wires and twinkly lights, so have attempted to restrain myself on detail. If anyone wants more - just shout :P

I always use Draytek Vigor ADSL routers. They come in different flavours and can be found at www.seg.co.uk. They are a router, switch/hub, firewall and VPN device all in one.

Never had a problem with any yet and must have installed about 15 of them at work.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links