Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

D Day For My Is220d

Following my posting earlier this month, today my IS220D goes in for 3 days of observation. I have printed off the various replies/posts to show Lexus Leicester and hopefully all of the fuel jets will be replaced as per Scott’s car - but we shall see.

Also in the meantime Lexus have written to basically say it's not their problem!!

Watch this space!!

Harry,

I've had "my moments" at Leic Lexus in the past, but they are genuinely interested and will do everything that they can do to help - have faith. Martin does have an excellent team of techies.

If there is a fix, they will apply it. I reckon Scott's car was a one-off, 'cos if it wasn't Lexus would have a bulletin on this and many more cars would be going in, unless we're on the verge of an avalanche of cars going in after yours... :o

Mine only had the 5th injector changed, and whilst fuel economy hasn't improved, smoothness has, and the car feels lighter when the engine is warmed. For weeks I haven't been on a good motorway run, but even in town with short journeys on cold engines, I am seeing 27mpg. That's not bad for 2.2 litre, diesel or otherwise.

Harry,

I've had "my moments" at Leic Lexus in the past, but they are genuinely interested and will do everything that they can do to help - have faith. Martin does have an excellent team of techies.

If there is a fix, they will apply it. I reckon Scott's car was a one-off, 'cos if it wasn't Lexus would have a bulletin on this and many more cars would be going in, unless we're on the verge of an avalanche of cars going in after yours... :o

Mine only had the 5th injector changed, and whilst fuel economy hasn't improved, smoothness has, and the car feels lighter when the engine is warmed. For weeks I haven't been on a good motorway run, but even in town with short journeys on cold engines, I am seeing 27mpg. That's not bad for 2.2 litre, diesel or otherwise.

I have to post this, 27mpg in town is not bad for 2.2d :o rubbish, its bad, 406 2.2 hdi is into late 37-39 in town, and my 3.0d is about 36/38 in town :D my sister's carina 1.8 petrol is better than that :o

And lexus now saying its not there problem :o now that dont surprise me one bit :o

27mpg! and you're happy with this? :duh:

I honestly would not have bought the car if I thought 31mpg was the best I was going to achieve.

Lexus Leicester have given me a 220D Sport on a 56 plate which happily goes into 6th @ 60mph and already its showing 38mpg!!

I have left a printout of my last posting and thread with them, lets see what happens! ;)

Harry,

I have to post this, 27mpg in town is not bad for 2.2d :o rubbish, its bad, 406 2.2 hdi is into late 37-39 in town, and my 3.0d is about 36/38 in town :D my sister's carina 1.8 petrol is better than that :o

And lexus now saying its not there problem :o now that dont surprise me one bit :o

Please take the comments made as they are written :tomato: . I don't know of another diesel pumping out 300lbft/170+bhp that achieves these figures, and I really do believe that even a 330d (or 320d) on a cold engine will be in the 20's mpg. You have to have a reliable trip computer (or do the maths), and a week or so of 1-2 mile journeys twice a day which is what I have been doing for several weeks (I know it's not good for the car, but it's too cold and wet to walk :blush: )

On a cold engine I get 27mpg. That's several 1-2 mile trips as staed above. The temperature needle barely moves. What I didn't mention is that on a warm engine I can get up to high 30's mpg, but with the Lexus you do have to try, else it's mid to low 30's. It ain't gonna get much better I'm afraid. It's no different to any other Diesel pumping out the BHP or Torque that the 220d does. My colleagues A4 170 2.0TDi is very similar in the MPG stakes.

I've often said :yawn: that the engine ain't the best, but seriously, it's not a bad motor and it's never gonna be the best engine in this class. The overall package however make it a better car than anything else currently offered in this bracket - period.

My old A4 PDI 130 was on a par with those figures (COLD and HOT) and that had 210lb ft and 128bhp. So I'm sorry but that ain't bad. I've had Pugs, various HDi's, and on a cold stop start cycle they are a tad better, but the torque is short lived (lower rev range) but they make better town cars.

PS - I had a Carina 1.8GLi for a few years, not a bad car, very "lean burn" :excl: ...but come on! That 1.8 Carina would be left shaking when you boot the 220d and the toque kicks in. You cannot compare it at all.

It's a bit like the other thread where an IS200 is out gunned by a Corsa - is that Corsa a better car? Can you really compare them :question:

Harry - seriously don't get too wound up - I did for several months. It didn't do me any good. I dunno what your experience of diesels is, but from my experience it ain't bad given this car, the engine, experience of the manufacturer in diesel techno, etc. You really should get mid 30's in town, but it depends on your driving style, mechanicals faults, grade of fuel, how many miles it's got on the clock etc.

Let Leicester do their thing...and that 220d sport has a different differential so 6th is easier at lower speeds.

Harry,

Please take the comments made as they are written :tomato: . I don't know of another diesel pumping out 300lbft/170+bhp that achieves these figures, and I really do believe that even a 330d (or 320d) on a cold engine will be in the 20's mpg. You have to have a reliable trip computer (or do the maths), and a week or so of 1-2 mile journeys twice a day which is what I have been doing for several weeks (I know it's not good for the car, but it's too cold and wet to walk :blush: )

On a cold engine I get 27mpg. That's several 1-2 mile trips as staed above. The temperature needle barely moves. What I didn't mention is that on a warm engine I can get up to high 30's mpg, but with the Lexus you do have to try, else it's mid to low 30's. It ain't gonna get much better I'm afraid. It's no different to any other Diesel pumping out the BHP or Torque that the 220d does. My colleagues A4 170 2.0TDi is very similar in the MPG stakes.

I've often said :yawn: that the engine ain't the best, but seriously, it's not a bad motor and it's never gonna be the best engine in this class. The overall package however make it a better car than anything else currently offered in this bracket - period.

My old A4 PDI 130 was on a par with those figures (COLD and HOT) and that had 210lb ft and 128bhp. So I'm sorry but that ain't bad. I've had Pugs, various HDi's, and on a cold stop start cycle they are a tad better, but the torque is short lived (lower rev range) but they make better town cars.

PS - I had a Carina 1.8GLi for a few years, not a bad car, very "lean burn" :excl: ...but come on! That 1.8 Carina would be left shaking when you boot the 220d and the toque kicks in. You cannot compare it at all.

It's a bit like the other thread where an IS200 is out gunned by a Corsa - is that Corsa a better car? Can you really compare them :question:

Harry - seriously don't get too wound up - I did for several months. It didn't do me any good. I dunno what your experience of diesels is, but from my experience it ain't bad given this car, the engine, experience of the manufacturer in diesel techno, etc. You really should get mid 30's in town, but it depends on your driving style, mechanicals faults, grade of fuel, how many miles it's got on the clock etc.

Let Leicester do their thing...and that 220d sport has a different differential so 6th is easier at lower speeds.

Sorry Jamboo, I didn't mean to affend ya good self. :o

Ya right I am very stressed.

I cover 35000 miles per year, would you have bought a car that claims 46mpg but actually does 31?

I had an X type 2.0D last time which did 39-43mpg and before that i had the same as you (A4) which averaged 49!! (Even had 59mpg and 717 from a tank on one mad long day!)

Other than the fuel issue the car is fine but the rest of the car aint costing me £150per month extra!!

As I said earlier lets see what happens in days time!

But thanks for ya thoughts :D

Harry - no worries. I bought the 220d hoping for the 45+mpg, and do get it on a run. I still reckon yours has a specific problem which needs to be tracked down. Good luck - no offence taken.

PS - the A4 was very economical - I once managed Leic to Glasgow, then Falkirk, then Leicester - on one tank. Well over 750 miles (68 litres and 778 miles I seem to recall). That was driven gently...almost!

Harry - no worries. I bought the 220d hoping for the 45+mpg, and do get it on a run. I still reckon yours has a specific problem which needs to be tracked down. Good luck - no offence taken.

PS - the A4 was very economical - I once managed Leic to Glasgow, then Falkirk, then Leicester - on one tank. Well over 750 miles (68 litres and 778 miles I seem to recall). That was driven gently...almost!

:o

OMG

Still thinking about it, you could put the A4 in 6th @ 50mph still must have been a long day @ 50mph :winky:

on a completely different note, had my traction control in use on a roundabout on Saturday. You don't need 3 beeps to tell you that you're side ways!!! :blink:

Lexus Leicester have given me a 220D Sport on a 56 plate which happily goes into 6th @ 60mph

That's because the sport has different gear ratios.

My non-sport IS220d now does 60mph in sixth since I had all the injectors changed.

:o

OMG

Still thinking about it, you could put the A4 in 6th @ 50mph still must have been a long day @ 50mph :winky:

on a completely different note, had my traction control in use on a roundabout on Saturday. You don't need 3 beeps to tell you that you're side ways!!! :blink:

:lol: It was over 2 days, and mine was a '52 plater, 5 speed box. You could use 5th @ 34mph! But I was actually doing the legal limit :winky: on any given road.

I've managed the "beeps" twice so far, again on roundabouts in the wet, else it don't have enough power.

Yesterday evening, went on the M1 and covered 90 miles return, at 70mph in sixth on the motorway bits. Average MPG? 46.8, including some driving in town (Northampton). That's the first run in weeks, and it's why I say it's not bad. I know the Audi would have hit well over 50mpg, but this is a much more powerful car.

i will be watching this with interest.

i have 8300 miles on the odo now..whilst i admit the 6th gear is now more useable i am still disapointed with the economy.

my commute is half heavy traffic half motoway 28miles each way...i get 32mpg.

did my first real run on saturday..which will now be one of many..390 miles all motorway..still only returned 37mpg :angry:

now my is a company "mule"..my first derv....chose this thinking would get better economy. how wrong i am.

not only derv is approx 10p litre more than unleaded..i only get 9p/mile mileage rate as opposed to 12p/mile .

signed.

V. Annoyed

Devon

ps...i spoke to my local delaership about the rattles ive got - seat /dash at 2k rpm /door / crack noise at half hour into a run somethin i hope will be sorted when its in for the first service..i almost expressed disapointment of bad economy...and this was met with suprise..and a denying of knowing this

Just wondering if most disappointment stems not from the actual mpg you get but how big a gap it is between real world and official figures? :) How would you feel if they said it did 35mpg when you bought it??

They said my LS, GS and now RX would drink like a fish. And they do so it's not that much of a shock :)

I probably wouldn't have bought one if i was told that most drivers would get 35-40mpg tops. Mine ain't too bad, but it all depends on my mix of driving. I would have kept the A4 for 2 more years and bought the new A4 in 2007/8.

I've seen almost 50mpg on some runs, but that is at mainly mway speeds. Mix it with more than 20% town and it drops sharpely.

The government figures are compiled in a lab environment over set series of trials, on a warm engine, where friction etc is always gonna be different to the real world.

I've also been told that the Compliance to Euro reg's may make cars perform worse, but I am yet to find some definitive evidence proving that theory.

the strange thing is that I could beat the official fiures in many diesels I've driven or matched them. In this I don't half have to try...

Just wondering if most disappointment stems not from the actual mpg you get but how big a gap it is between real world and official figures? :) How would you feel if they said it did 35mpg when you bought it??

They said my LS, GS and now RX would drink like a fish. And they do so it's not that much of a shock :)

I certainly would not have bought one! I think to be out by 10% of what is quoted would be acceptable but over 30% is rubbish. Bearing in mind they quote 35.8/52.3/44.8 my 31.6 (mainly motorway mileage) is shocking! Wouldn't you agree?

Harry - agreed!! Your case sounds so much like Scott's.

Has anyone told you whats happened or what they've found?

Not good!

Martin has informed me nothing mechanically wrong with the car.

Lexus will not give the go ahead for all of the jets to be replaced! (Help - Scott!!)

Basically Martin is awaiting Lexus for a fix - Meanwhile nothing!!

Going in to see Richard in a couple of hours!

Pretty ****** off!

Harry - agreed!! Your case sounds so much like Scott's.

Has anyone told you whats happened or what they've found?

Not good!

Martin has informed me nothing mechanically wrong with the car.

Lexus will not give the go ahead for all of the jets to be replaced! (Help - Scott!!)

Basically Martin is awaiting Lexus for a fix - Meanwhile nothing!!

Going in to see Richard in a couple of hours!

Pretty ****** off!

I had a long a friendly chat with my local Lexus senior tech and he admitted that unless you were extremely light footed you were unlikely to see better than high 30s mpg in the diesel.

I am satisfied with the consumption.

City driving (10kms to work and back - not enough to warm up) I get 8l/100km (~ 30mpg), the lexus book sais 9,4l/100km (~25mpg)

Outside the city at 100km/h, 60mph I get easily 5,5l (43mpg) (5,2l (45mpg) is my record), lexus sais about 6l/100km (39mpg).

On the highway at 145km/h (90mph) I have 6,9l (~34mpg)

Last tank I went 400km on higway at 145km/h, 50km outside the city and 200km in the city and the trip comp showed 6,9, the calculation was 7,001.

This tank was my first shell v-power diesel, now I am back again to standard shell diesel, but I don't see any difference in consumption, but I haven't been on the higway yet, so I'll see.

As I said, I am satisfied now, and I have only 4500kms on the clock (~3000miles) so it should go down.

I have to say that I drive with easy foot and I rarely get to huge traffic jams.

"Outside the city at 100km/h, 60mph I get easily 5,5l (43mpg) (5,2l (45mpg) is my record), lexus sais about 6l/100km (39mpg)"

the advertisement for the is220d in ireland states 6.4litres per 100 km is 44mpg. i'ver checked this for other manufacturers and it seems correct. if your getting 5.5 litres per 100 km (as do i on long Journeys its closer to 50 mpg. the best i've gotten is 4.3 L/100km, about 56 mpg. this was after the 10000 mile service where i used GTX magnetix a the lubricant

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links