Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Sport Or Audi A4?

I don't yet own an IS200, but have wanted one for quite a while now, just finding it hard to part with my MGF :crybaby:

BUT, my wife wants an Audi A4, which although a very nice car, I feel isn't quite in the same league as an IS.

So, I'm hoping you guys can give me a few pointers that I can give to "the wife" to help her want the same as me.... ;)

Cheers

Now, that leads me onto another question....dealers...

I have been reading through the dealer guide and it still hasn't really helped me decide which one I should give my money too! :unsure:

I live in London, but to be honest, don't want to buy a car from a London dealer, although i am looking at getting a new one (or very nearly new) so perhaps it wouldn't make too much difference, but I used to live in Herts, so I might try Hatfield.....

Any thoughts anyone? Hmmmmm!

It very much depends on which model A4 you are thinking of buying. The 1.8T engines in the Audi are very nice, but then so are the 3 litre lumps in the Cabriolet!!

My parents have a 1.8T Passat (which is mechanically almost identical to Audi's) and engine wise it isn't as much fun as the Lexus, it doesn't rev like the Lexus although admittedly it does have more low down grunt.

It is just a year old with under 10K miles and it broke down on tuesday. The VW garage are saying it will be off the road for 6 weeks because of the time it will take to get replacement parts - a ignition coil! It seems like VAG are having major problems with this engine and they are failing in Audi's, VW's and Seats. The dealer just can't get replacement parts.

I found this link whilst looking for info on the problem:

http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=34012

Lexus comes out top of the JD Power survey for a reason - they just don't break down! Also just compare the interior of the A4 to the Lexus, the Audi is just so dull, and the options list is never ending, you have to pay for all the things you get as standard in the Lexus.

Have an Audi 2.4 (manual, 5 speed) and an IS200SE - never driven a Sport. Between these two there is no contest - the IS every time. More fun to drive, more toys inside, and as Ricky says, the inside of the Audi is just sooooo dull - and the Lexus is a more eye-catching vehicle. Organise a test drive in both - you won't have to persuade her.

Take her out for a test drive and show her the heated seats. That'll work everytime, - if she's anything like me, then being cold is the worst thing in the world!!!!

That, along with the other gadgets should help win her if she's not particularly interested in the mechanical side of things. ;)

Tazman I was considering the same cars as you and also the C Class; finally ended up with the is200. I firstly drove the 2.0 A4 which had a reasonable amount of power, and felt faster at low revs than the lexus, also the interior was extremely high quality but coming from VW it was all too familiar and it felt boring and lab like in there!! :unsure:

I wanted a car that I could put up with for a few years and I think I would of got bored of the A4 very quickly and would of ended up px'ing it... on the whole the is200 is much easier to live with and has loads of extras as standard. The is200 interior is more interesting ...seems like someone has actually thought laterally about making it look different and is of high build quality - no rattles or shakes, which although the A4s interior looks solid, I have heard some people complaining about rattles. The is200 has a feel good factor when you are behind the wheel... this was enough to make up my mind :D

I would have bought a mercedes but the the cost of the extras and a V6 engine was just beyond my affordability :sad:

Anyway good luck ...and and let us know what you decide. :) :)

Thanks for all the advice guys & gals.

I might just have to take a trip to Oxford on Saturday and take one out for a test drive, providing they won't mind me being gone a while as I'm bound to get lost!!

I have my heart set on a Lexus IS200 Sport, I think for the price you pay they have to be one of the best in their class. Now I just need to get the wife to agree....

Watch this space!

:geek:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links