Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Importing

simonskippy

Okay, a number of members on the board me included regularily import parts etc from the states and japan.

Does anyone know the RULES on the paying of duty, i.e. can you avoid it if you get it shipped to a company, does it matter if it's marked gift etc?

I know many people have an opinion of what the law is but could someone please let us know EXACTLY what the law is.

Si

P.S. Sorry to be rude but I don't what any "my mate down the pub said etc" or "i've heard that if you ....."

The most relevant bit I found....

Q I have been charged VAT and duty for goods bought over the Internet, why is this?

A Any goods purchased from outside the EC are liable for duty and in some cases VAT. If you have been sent a gift and the value is under £36 you will not be liable, over that amount you will be charged depending on the product. For purchases bought by yourself with a value over £18.00 you may have to pay duty depending on the product; it may also be liable to VAT. Under that amount you will not be liable.

See FAQ section.......

another relevant section:

3.2 Do I have to pay duty or VAT on goods sent to me from outside the EC?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EC are liable to any or all of these charges:

Customs Duty;

Excise Duty; and

VAT.

These must be paid whether:

you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift;

the goods are new or used; or

the goods are for your private use or for sale.

so in that case expect to pay the taxes!!!

I buy most of my CDs online and a lot of them from the states. Even with postage they are no more than £10 (so no duty :) ). I get to listen to them before I buy and it's easier than going to my local CD shop. Why are UK CD shops still in business...? :blink::angry: Sorry bit off topic. Rant over.

There is a threshhold for the duty and it will vary a lot on the goods you bring in and where you bring them in from for exsample if you bring some thing in from china and it's some thing that they are not a high producer of then you may not have to pay duty.

Each item has it own code relating to its duty value ie a car bumper has a difrent code to a car spoiler even if it's made from the same material.

If a company in the country that you are buying from doctors the paper work it is a very serious affence and thier own customs and ours will pull them apart for it.

you will pay the delivery driver the vat dutys you can apeal the duties if you think it was valued wrong but i would not hold your hopes up on that one.

Some time you look at n item in the US and think that cheap but the del is nomaly not less than £50.00 a set of wheels would cost £300-400 on a good day plus vat duty so it not always a good deal there are lots of hidden cost when it arrives.

And the driver will not let you have the goods till you pay :crybaby:

James

oh and this is correct

Looks like they're gonna get the cash no matter what we do

having read the guff...

Have the item marked as a gift with a value of less than £36 quid ($57), and mark the item car parts.

But that's all it will be insured for, if it gets lost.

And you'll need the sender to mark the value on his customs forms, if he's willing to!! (See above)

having read the guff...

Have the item marked as a gift with a value of less than £36 quid ($57), and mark the item car parts.

But that's all it will be insured for, if it gets lost.

And you'll need the sender to mark the value on his customs forms, if he's willing to!! (See above)

this would work if the send will do it but it will only work on small item as they do random inspection and as much as we like to think it there are not thick you may get away with it on small item but not on big items car parts have quite a high duty if you have anyone going back and forth to where it is comeing from try to bring them in on thier allowance.

:question::question::question::question:

One of the biggest rip offs in all this is VAT.

Take the value of goods, add shipping and insurance and clearance charges...

This is called CIF value. Then add x% duty depending on what the goods are.

Only after all this is VAT added ....

So, you have to pay VAT on the DUTY ... :angry:

Still, i spose it's no different from paying VAT on petrol duty etc.

Stunning isn't it that even if petrol companies gave away petrol free of charge ...

the duty and vat alone would mean it still cost about 60p a litre :blink:

What's that new agency in the news today recovering ill gotten gains from crime.

Maybe they should investigate this - it damn well sounds criminal doesn't it !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links